Gaming Jesus, do I need all this?!

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm browsing my uninstall programs in Windows XP. And most of the stuff I know of. Some of it, I recognize, but don't know if I need. Mind helping me?
  • Homepage Protection Service
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
  • Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
  • MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
  • MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
I also have a couple svchost.exe's running in processes when I ctrl+delete.

I just want to get rid of stuff that could be slowing down my computer, useless stuff. And I'm not tech savvy enough to know. So.. little help?

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty much all of that is used to run programs that need certain frameworks and codes to run. more than a few times I've been missing some of those when trying to run a program. Keep them It'll save you some time later if you run into a program that utilizes them.

except for Homepage Protection Service. I have no clue what that is.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Neither do I. I recently shut off the guest account and selected the option so the computer boots directly to my profile without doing any of that "Welcome" stuff. But I don't know if that's what it is. I googled it, but came up with nothing.

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that it's something to stop websites from auto changing your browsers homepage.
But if you don't remember installing anything like that its probably useless...... ok I have XP and I just checked my uninstall prgrams and I dont have anything called Homepage Protection. I think you can safely get rid of it.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pocchama1996 said:
My guess is that it's something to stop websites from auto changing your browsers homepage.
But if you don't remember installing anything like that its probably useless...... ok I have XP and I just checked my uninstall prgrams and I dont have anything called Homepage Protection. I think you can safely get rid of it.

Do this, and see if it makes it happen: [Computer Admin]

Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Change the way users log or off

I have the two options selected.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ehh, you dont have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0?

Microsoft .NET Framework is needed to run programs made using VB.Net 2008 in Microsoft Visual Studio, same goes for ms visual C++.
your list is just 1/4-5 my list containing just microsoft frameworks and stuff.

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok went to change way users log on/off
A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and fast user-switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: GTGina.dll

I havent installed anything new in months

Ok this just has to do with my Linksys router software.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pocchama1996 said:
A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and fast user-switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: GTGina.dll

So basically that Homepage protection crap is just some spam thing that came when I installed a program?

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ShadowSoldier said:
pocchama1996 said:

So basically that Homepage protection crap is just some spam thing that came when I installed a program?

yeah, haven't heard about that. regarding the frameworks, some programs won't run w/o it.

e.g. i made a program for you using visual studio 2010(which use .net framework 4) it will require you to install .net framework 4.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
just wanna share
microlist.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol