GordRyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,

After years of dormancy I decided to resurrect my hacked wii with a new Seagate 6TB Expansion drive (actually cheaper then the 4TB).

I formatted the drive into a 2TB FAT32 partition and a 4TB(more like 3.5TB) NTFS partition. When I startup it wont even recognise that there is a USB drive attached and it will crash.

However, when i delete the NTFS partition (leave as unallocated space) or create multiple FAT32 partitions(2TB is max size), it will work fine.

I am pretty sure my old 4TB drive(crashed years ago) was a single partition NTFS drive and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas on why the drive completely stops working once I add an NTFS partition at all? I could leave as three FAT32 partitions but I don't think any of the loaders will recognise 3 partitions...?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

After years of dormancy I decided to resurrect my hacked wii with a new Seagate 6TB Expansion drive (actually cheaper then the 4TB).

I formatted the drive into a 2TB FAT32 partition and a 4TB(more like 3.5TB) NTFS partition. When I startup it wont even recognise that there is a USB drive attached and it will crash.

However, when i delete the NTFS partition (leave as unallocated space) or create multiple FAT32 partitions(2TB is max size), it will work fine.

I am pretty sure my old 4TB drive(crashed years ago) was a single partition NTFS drive and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas on why the drive completely stops working once I add an NTFS partition at all? I could leave as three FAT32 partitions but I don't think any of the loaders will recognise 3 partitions...?

Any feedback is appreciated.
2TB is plenty for Wii/GameCube so yea make 3 2TB partitions

GordRyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know I don't use that one and no from other USB loaders
I think I am going to give up on this setup. As soon as I add a second partition(NTFS, FAT32, WBFS) it will crash. It recognises that it exists(as USB2) but as soon as you try to use it/point to it in any way, it crashes.

Also for some reason i can't get the wii to use usb1 as the primary boot up, I have to use an SD card to boot anything up.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2TB is plenty for Wii/GameCube so yea make 3 2TB partitions

I have more than 2TB of Wii games, and I'm not even a completest (and yes, I use WBFS). So it really depends. But as I've said elsewhere, I use a USB Flash drive on my Wii with the most used games and move other ones on and off it as needed. It takes a USB Loader a while to sort through 700 Wii games and 300 GameCube games.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have more than 2TB of Wii games, and I'm not even a completest (and yes, I use WBFS). So it really depends. But as I've said elsewhere, I use a USB Flash drive on my Wii with the most used games and move other ones on and off it as needed. It takes a USB Loader a while to sort through 700 Wii games and 300 GameCube games.
U got pirate fever and will not play even 1% of that catalog

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Afaik, the drive (hard drive/flash) must have a single and active partition to work correctly on the Wii, FAT32 format being the most compatible.

And even then, 2 TB are more than enough to most gaming needs.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1