ISP blocking specific website? Please help me out here.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently upgraded my Optus 120GB monthly plan to an unlimited connection and took full advantage of it. I've been doing loads of downloading and now the private tracker torrent site that I'm on won't load up.

I can load the website using my phone's mobile data, however, if my phone is connected to my WiFi the website will fail to load.

Can anyone help me out here?

Different browsers lead to the same problem, clearing cookies etc (None of it should work anyway considering it fails on the same connection via multiple devices)

So, what exactly can I do?
If I have to contact the ISP, what do I say?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Use a proxy.
The tracker fails to register when downloading a torrent. I've already tried the proxy. I can download the torrent file via proxy but the tracker itself fails to load (Tried on mobile device with wifi, same issue. Using mobile data, no problem.)

Besides, that would be a workaround, I'm looking for a solution =/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's possible whatever proxy you used was blocked by your private tracking site. Look around on there or ask the staff about proxies and which would work for you. Other than that, there's nothing you can really do on your end besides a proxy.

As mentioned above, you could get a seedbox. Some don't support pirating, so you'll need to browse around a bit.

Otherwise, you're stuck.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If the ISP blocked a site, IP address, or tracker, there is nothing you can do to change their mind. The only solution is to work around it. Proxies, seedboxes, alternative sources/sites. That's all you can do.

Depending on your phone plan, you can also download it off your mobile hotspot. My brother did that with my Optus plan when I visited Australia and ate up 10GB in a week.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record guys we (as in those of us in Europe or the US) have probably been dealing with big boy filters for the last few years. More than a few Aus filters are DNS only still as far as I have seen, not all but enough that I am writing this now.

That said yeah your options are work around it or find a new site. Assuming it is not a DNS thing then chances are it will cost you as I do not think there are any free VPNs doing the rounds these days that I would care to use.

That said trackerless torrents and magnet links are a thing these days.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I need to find out someday what magnet links are...

you dont need to find what they are... all you need to know that you click on it (magnet link) and your latest web bowser and torrent client should handle it no problem. but basically instead of downloading a file call torrent you open a url which starts with magnet protocol.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you dont need to find what they are... all you need to know that you click on it (magnet link) and your latest web bowser and torrent client should handle it no problem. but basically instead of downloading a file call torrent you open a url which starts with magnet protocol.

I think he means how they actually work.

Reactions: Flame

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read, some of the torrent info (hash, tracker list) is just embedded into the Magnet URI.
The rest (file list, etc.) is gained from connected peers.

If no trackers can be contacted, there is a centralized backup server that acts as a global tracker; If I remember right, one is something with utorrent.com.
There are several of these servers, but which one is contacted depends on the torrent client you're using. Some may not even use the mechanism.

As for the original issue, you do know that you can route your BitTorrent traffic through a proxy, right?

Reactions: Originality

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

basically when you download a torrent file, its a tiny file containing info about the files you download, a magnet link is just a torrent in a link, since a torrent file usually is small it can be shrinked into a special link, its basically the same thing without the hassle to save the torrent file....

Reactions: Originality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee