Is Windows 10 really that bad?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it constantly crashed on the spare win7 laptop I tried to install it on. fortunately, the uninstall took it back to 7 with no problem.

I'd guess it's probably fine on new installs (bullshit they throw in there aside), but I'd never put it on anything that it didn't originally come with.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I get full speed on GlideN64 with Mystical Ninja 64 *shrug*. Rice Video jacks up the HUD big time, N64 emulation has made strides with games being more playable and running fast, I can Banjo Tooie full speed as well. It's time people stop using shoddy plugins if they have the means to, GlideN64 is also more demanding, you need a good GPU to get full speed. The skybox issue hasn't been an issue in a long time.

You're thinking of Gide64, this is the successor, GlideN64, hence the N part in the name, it's hardly "bloated". Are you sure you're talking about the same plugin I am?

Edit - I should make a thread, because it sounds like you're confusing Glide64 with Glide64, which is different from gl64. GlideN64 is the successor to Glide64, which was bloated. It's run every game perfectly I've thrown at it, it can even run the Factor 5 games, which Rice could never do, so *shrug*
No, Glide64 sucks. But it runs way faster than GlideN64 does.
Anyway, the game has slowdowns in some areas no matter what plugin I use, but Rice Video is the only one with bearable lag on my laptop, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this not what the HUD should look like?
Screenshot 2019-03-04 05.36.20.png

This is with "RiceVideo 0.4.4 RELEASE" (the community fork IIRC)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Glide64 sucks. But it runs way faster than GlideN64 does.
Anyway, the game has slowdowns in some areas no matter what plugin I use, but Rice Video is the only one with bearable lag on my laptop, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this not what the HUD should look like?View attachment 159728
This is with "RiceVideo 0.4.4 RELEASE" (the community fork IIRC)

Because GlideN64 is more accurate, I would suggest reading up on Gonetz's blogs (the programmer behind it), of course it's going to run slower than Glide or Rice *sigh* There's no convincing you, is there? I'm saying GlideN64 emulates even the ones others can't, like Battle for Naboo, World Driver Championship and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine *shrug* but yeah, if people want fast and inaccurate plugins, they can go ahead.

GlideN64 runs fine on my GTX 1660 TI, but then again, it's not a laptop, so I IDK what to tell ya. If you want me to record a video of Mystical Ninja 64 running full speed and w/out the skybox issues, I'd be more than willing to post it on YouTube. To you, I probably think I sound like an idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, yes? Also, I highly recommend using Mupen64 Plus through RetroArch but oh well.

Rice Video = best for weaker hardware
Glide64 = deprecated, not recommended and less accurate
GlideN64 = for upper mid-range GPUs, more accurate higher sys requirements

Don't believe me, read up on Gonetz's blogs like I suggested. I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Because GlideN64 is more accurate, I would suggest reading up on Gonetz's blogs (the programmer behind it), of course it's going to run slower than Glide or Rice *sigh* There's no convincing you, is there? I'm saying GlideN64 emulates even the ones others can't, like Battle for Naboo, World Driver Championship and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine *shrug* but yeah, if people want fast and inaccurate plugins, they can go ahead.

GlideN64 runs fine on my GTX 1660 TI, but then again, it's not a laptop, so I IDK what to tell ya. If you want me to record a video of Mystical Ninja 64 running full speed and w/out the skybox issues, I'd be more than willing to post it on YouTube. To you, I probably think I sound like an idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, yes? Also, I highly recommend using Mupen64 Plus through RetroArch but oh well.

Rice Video = best for weaker hardware
Glide64 = deprecated, not recommended and less accurate
GlideN64 = for upper mid-range GPUs, more accurate higher sys requirements

Don't believe me, read up on Gonetz's blogs like I suggested. I'm not an idiot.
I'm not denying that GlideN64 is better, I'm very much aware of that. Doesn't help me when I can't use it though :P It doesn't leave me much choice than to use another plugin.
I've been paying attention to the GlideN64 development since it was on Kickstarter actually, so I'm well aware that it's a huge milestone for N64 emulation.

Also, from what I heard, GlideN64 is the only plugin that actually emulates the skybox properly. I want it to work better on my laptop but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I've tried many versions of it all the way back to the first public release, and it works a lot better on my laptop now than it did back then, but it's still not fast enough to be a good option for my laptop. Which BTW has a HD7970M. I'm not sure if the issue is actually GlideN64 being too slow or something weird with the switchable graphics, because I'd think it would run better than it does, even if it's more accurate.

For some reason, it seems to be running better in GlideN64 now than it did when I tested earlier today, it's actually playable. Maybe it's some settings I changed. Visually, I can't tell much difference from Rice Video though. But for some weird reason the picture seems to be moved up, the top is cut off and the bottom has a big black bar, in that game specifically (didn't try any others)
Maybe I'll play around with it more next time I feel like playing some N64. I've used it successfully for a handful of games that ran well, but others I've struggled to get to run well with it. For some problem games it's absolutely a must as other plugins will have various issues running them, but most common games seem to run pretty well with any of the plugins I have (Rice/Jabo/Glide64 for PJ64/GlideN64, various versions of the two first although I don't usually use the older versions and I stick with GlideN64 as long as it runs well enough for that particular game)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not denying that GlideN64 is better, I'm very much aware of that. Doesn't help me when I can't use it though :P It doesn't leave me much choice than to use another plugin.
I've been paying attention to the GlideN64 development since it was on Kickstarter actually, so I'm well aware that it's a huge milestone for N64 emulation.

Also, from what I heard, GlideN64 is the only plugin that actually emulates the skybox properly. I want it to work better on my laptop but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I've tried many versions of it all the way back to the first public release, and it works a lot better on my laptop now than it did back then, but it's still not fast enough to be a good option for my laptop. Which BTW has a HD7970M. I'm not sure if the issue is actually GlideN64 being too slow or something weird with the switchable graphics, because I'd think it would run better than it does, even if it's more accurate.

For some reason, it seems to be running better in GlideN64 now than it did when I tested earlier today, it's actually playable. Maybe it's some settings I changed. Visually, I can't tell much difference from Rice Video though. But for some weird reason the picture seems to be moved up, the top is cut off and the bottom has a big black bar, in that game specifically (didn't try any others)
Maybe I'll play around with it more next time I feel like playing some N64. I've used it successfully for a handful of games that ran well, but others I've struggled to get to run well with it. For some problem games it's absolutely a must as other plugins will have various issues running them, but most common games seem to run pretty well with any of the plugins I have (Rice/Jabo/Glide64 for PJ64/GlideN64, various versions of the two first although I don't usually use the older versions and I stick with GlideN64 as long as it runs well enough for that particular game)

Rice is for texture mods and lower-end hardware and is less accurate in how the RSP (graphics processor) is emulated, and like I said, GlideN64 is the successor to Glide64; Gonetz wasn't satisfied and wanted to start anew. You can get the latest builds via his Patreon, but Jabo is even worse than Glide, because Jabo has gone silent and hasn't been in the scene for over half a decade, I don't recommend Jabo for anyone.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Rice is for texture mods and lower-end hardware and is less accurate in how the RSP (graphics processor) is emulated, and like I said, GlideN64 is the successor to Glide64; Gonetz wasn't satisfied and wanted to start anew. You can get the latest builds via his Patreon, but Jabo is even worse than Glide, because Jabo has gone silent and hasn't been in the scene for over half a decade, I don't recommend Jabo for anyone.
Nobody should be using any of Jabos plugins anymore.

Reactions: the_randomizer

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy, hijack! Well, at least it was a useful hijack for me personally... haven’t been following N64 emulation in quite some time (but I’ve been compiling Providence-Emu for IOS in recent weeks, and am impressed with N64 performance). It’s nice to see a graphics plugin that’s being actively worked on, so I’ll have to check it out. Most recent WIP build is less than 24 hours old, even...

Last edited by urherenow,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess anyone has experienced one or another issue so far.
My issue is that the explorer (not to be confused with the internet explorer) doesn't show prieview thumbnails for all image and video files any longer but just blanc thumbs. I'm aware of all "solutions" but none of them worked and this hasn't been fixed by any W10 update yet so I would have to do a clean install to get rid of that sh*t. A temporary solution is to click in folder view settings on "middle sized thumbs" and after that on "big sized thumbs" again. Then it generates them. After I close and reopen the folder however, it's all blanc again. Gotta hate Windows for that.

Apart from that I'm enjoying W10 and everything is ... at least ... okay.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why re-post what I said?:/

By the way, about Windows 10, the telemetry isn't keylogging or anything like that, as that's outright illegal in most countries and especially for a big well-established company a court case like this, even if they were to be proven innocent, would be horrible PR, effectively ruining bringing their stock value WAY down, possibly bankrupting them. What Windows 10 telemetry involves exactly, it's basically usage data mostly, not keylogging. They collect list of installed programs, most used programs, overview of cached data, which programs you've chosen as default for each application (eg: browser, opening videos/music/images, etc.), part of web history/bookmarks (if visited too often with Edge), all Cortana commands, percentage of time system is active/idle, how long the computer is being used each day, what hardware you are using (including peripherals if they can be recognized by brand/model exactly, eg: "Logitec gamepad"), validation services to see if it's an official copy of Windows 10, system settings and so on. It's a LOT of data collected on the background at all times, which is why leaving all telemetry active is just a huge waste of resources, as it can often cause slowdowns, be it on processing power (RAM/CPU usage) or network bandwidth if you have a slower connection making it even slower.

However, once disabled, Windows 10 is a decent-to-good OS, especially if you are using very new hardware, as 7 unfortunately doesn't have the best compatibility with the newest drivers. What I was trying to say in my original post was that if you don't have 10 already, you shouldn't update as you probably have older hardware, so 7 being lighter as an OS will work best on your computer regardless of how you configure each of the two, even if it came out as if I was just bashing Windows 10. Another thing for Windows 10 is that once you disable telemetry and switch to purely using Aero instead of Metro (which by the way is NOT better and as for those "studies" the ones on Aero proved it was superior back then), then disable Cortana as well so it doesn't hog resources for something you MIGHT use very rarely, then patch out the forced updates and make them manual, you got a VERY solid and relatively stable OS that's great for new hardware. I say relatively because it actually lacks a great deal of once very common .dll/.ocx/general ActiveX files and unlike on 7, if a program needs one and doesn't find it it will crash with no error quite often when trying to use older programs. Finally, once you start using 10, forget about 16bit apps, XP Mode on 10 is a PAIN to set up and it can potentially cause major corruptions to your installation, meaning you HAVE to use VMWare or similar...

Because apparently people didn't see the point and understand (And they still don't seem to) when your post is all that matters on this entire thread and if threads should be locked the second they are answered, this would have been locked on your post. No need to continue talking about this (Or whatever unrelated Glide64 or whatever bullcrap these other people are talking about) when the this thread has been answered already... Just enforcing the fact everything is quite irrelevant.. LOL

Reactions: ThoD

erpguy68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Intel :creep: I've had nothing but horrible experiences with their CPUs and GPUs, well at least back when it was ATI.

Only thing I hate is forced updates.

well the "forced updates" problem in win10 can be taken care off with some 3rd party tools like StopUpdates10, Windows Update Blocker (WUB) and/or Windows Update Minitool (WUMT). search for these online and use any of them.

I had been running win10 ltsb 2016 for more than a year on my old HP computer and things more mostly stable. I only get occasional bsod errors when coming out of sleep or hibernation mode, so I have to make some changes to the power management settings

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the "forced updates" problem in win10 can be taken care off with some 3rd party tools like StopUpdates10, Windows Update Blocker (WUB) and/or Windows Update Minitool (WUMT). search for these online and use any of them.

I had been running win10 ltsb 2016 for more than a year on my old HP computer and things more mostly stable. I only get occasional bsod errors when coming out of sleep or hibernation mode, so I have to make some changes to the power management settings

Hmm, but can they be trusted not to screw up anything vital in the OS itself? I'm going to have to do some research as the OS itself has been perfectly stable on my end.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 is amazing, it's just the default "out of the box" settings that suck. After install, I run the Windows 10 Debloater script, and tweak all the settings to my liking, then install my essential apps. (Steam, 7-Zip, VLC, Chrome, Discord, VMware, SoftPerfect RAMdisk, uTorrent, Rainmeter, Minecraft, Photoshop CC Portable, etc.)

Then I use Snappy Driver Installer Origin to install all the latest drivers for my hardware. Reboot, and you're done!

Just tailor Windows 10 to your liking, and you'll have a good time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu