Hacking Is there ANY way to add new functionality to the 3 ds?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as im aware, the only new function avaliable is turning your 3ds into a awsome Firework Explosion.
Steps: Get your 3ds and put it on the microwave for about 5Min and wala, kaboooom.
You got yourself some 3d Battlefield explosions.
That makes a lot of smoke, it's not safe to do inside.
And it doesn't explode, it just kinda melts.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jIikjdkgT6U

now i am curious did someone pay the guy for the 3ds to do this? not that you would know but i digress.

as for ur question no you cant

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I see that people already mentioned eShop apps and firmware updates so I won't dwell into that, but I will mention that the 3DS browser supports Java as far as I know and that means that if you create a website with an embedded Java application made specifically for the 3DS you may in fact add functionality to the console and it has been demonstrated by a few programmers already.
S3vsc.gif

There is no Java support on the 3DS browser.
That's Javascript.
Assuming Nintendo bothers to, they can include Java, Flash, whatever software-based stuff. As long as it's just software, it CAN be coded, whether natively or thru virtualization.

But Nintendo isn't going to bother, because those codes are branded, and Nintendo hates branded stuff on their machines (unless they made deals).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Assuming Nintendo bothers to, they can include Java, Flash, whatever software-based stuff. As long as it's just software, it CAN be coded, whether natively or thru virtualization.

What do you mean 'thru virtualization'? Why would you need to virtualize anything to include Java or Flash??

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They won't include Flash because they won't get a license for it - mobile Flash support has been deprecated by Adobe. People are removing Flash from the web step-by-step, it became too bloated for most browsers and unnecessarily resource-monging.

Nintendo should focus on including a Java VM and enhance HTML5 support. Why make steps back when there's new technology ahead?

You can call the IR Circle pad pro a feature. I hope they'll add a rumble pack ;)
If the 3DS needs something, it's definitelly not a motor that will drain the battery even more.

...unless you mean a CirclePad Pro revision with rumble, then I'm totally fine with the idea.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Is there ANY way to add new functionality to the 3 ds?"

Well you CAN add new functionality to the "3 ds"...you just have to be (with the present hacking state in mind) very good a soldering, desoldering, and know how to research undocumented coding to understand EXACTLY how the system works so you can add stuff. Otherwise you'll need to be patient and wait until next year (although probably longer) before being able to add your own content.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They won't include Flash because they won't get a license for it - mobile Flash support has been deprecated by Adobe. People are removing Flash from the web step-by-step, it became too bloated for most browsers and unnecessarily resource-monging.

Nintendo should focus on including a Java VM and enhance HTML5 support. Why make steps back when there's new technology ahead?

You can call the IR Circle pad pro a feature. I hope they'll add a rumble pack ;)
If the 3DS needs something, it's definitelly not a motor that will drain the battery even more.

...unless you mean a CirclePad Pro revision with rumble, then I'm totally fine with the idea.
I mean a external rumble pack via IR like the circlepad pro with its own batteries. Other IR frequences than the circlepad would be nice because than someone could make a Circlepad pro with a rumble pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?