Hardware Is it worth upgrading from a Wii U?

Is it worth upgrading from a Wii U to a Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

InfoFront

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already got a Wii U with CFW, many games, etc.
I also have a Switch that I picked up earlier this year, before the hardware revision (estimated FW 3.0.1). It's still brand new, in the box.

I still haven't decided whether to sell it or hack it. So far, it seems like most of the best games are already on the Wii U. I don't travel much, so the portability of the switch doesn't sway me much.
What do you think?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both consoles are very different yes the Switch has most of the Wii U ports, but also has a bigger library of games compared to the Wii U even those ports have extra content exclusive to the Switch.
Is it worth the upgrade? hell yeah it is. The only advantage the Wii U has over a hacked Switch is that it has a permanent CFW thats about it.

Reactions: Derrin

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there are Switch exclusive games that are worth of the price of the Switch to you, then yes, it is worth updating. If not, then no.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like the OP I don't care about portability and I have a Wii U but I purchased a Switch recently and I'm very happy with my purchase. Still plenty of exclusives and there are lots to come like Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Luigi's Mansion 3. Travis Strikes Again No More Heroes, Shin Megami Tensei V. But obviously it comes down to personal tastes if you care nothing about those games maybe you want to sell it but there's more to come as it's only in it's 2nd year and already easily outsold the entire lifetime of the Wii U so it will be around for many years.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already got a Wii U with CFW, many games, etc.
I also have a Switch that I picked up earlier this year, before the hardware revision (estimated FW 3.0.1). It's still brand new, in the box.

I still haven't decided whether to sell it or hack it. So far, it seems like most of the best games are already on the Wii U. I don't travel much, so the portability of the switch doesn't sway me much.
What do you think?
There is a lot of indies worth playing. There is Mario Party, Splatoon 2, Smash and such big hitters on the Switch.
We can't make the decision for you.
Also you aren't getting big bucks for 3.0.1 if thats what you are aiming for. Those days are long gone

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U is a bad console with a handful of good games.

The Switch is a much better console with many more good games.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is more than just a portable console. Think of it as a console that has portability as a secondary feature. Granted, I play mine in tablet mode all the time because I prefer it that way. I don't care that it may look better and perform better when docked, i'm satisfied with its performance in tablet mode. I think I may have used my dock to play about 3-4 times total. (I pre-ordered the day they went live and picked it up at launch). I still have my Wii U (which I also go on launch day) and barely even use it. Some of the best games on the Wii U have been ported over to the Switch anyway (well, except Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Maker, but they are already re-releasing Super Mario Bros U, so maybe Mario Maker and Mario 3D World will be next)

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he keeps both of them then whats the problem? just hack the switch and play newer games to get a definitive answer without a debate. It will be easier for him to decide which game he wants to play on the switch if he already has the said ports on the Wii U that way he can give his Wii U a purpose. Its worth it to broaden your options in what games to play. The best thing any of us can tell you is look at the games the Switch offers. In my perspective the Wii U is a blueprint of the Switch, b/c of its failure is the very reason why the Switch exists today.

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you specifically are interested in handheld gaming, I wouldn't say the Wii U is an upgrade. Newer, exclusive titles? Yes. That's not an upgrade in my opinion.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no point in arguing over opinions. I have both and I'm glad I have both. Who cares which one is better. Both are good.

I would never give up my Wii U because as you can see in my sig i Have Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, N64 and DS games injected on there. Almost 200 games. It is bad ass.

The Switch is also bad ass with new games and more coming.

Reactions: oji

RPG_FAN128

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
At some point will the Switch be able to....
  1. Play all NES games.
  2. Play all SNES games.
  3. Play a few N64 games.
  4. Play all GCN games.
  5. Play all Wii games.
  6. Play all Wii U games.
  7. Play all Genesis games.
  8. Play all Sega CD games.
  9. Play all GB games.
  10. Play all GBC games.
  11. Play all GBA games.
  12. Play most DS games.
Who knows? But one thing for certain the Wii U will never play Switch games. Ironically one could argue (almost) every high-profile Wii U game is (or will be) on the Switch. Let's hear some Mario Maker and Splatoon 1 love!

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no point in arguing over opinions. I have both and I'm glad I have both. Who cares which one is better. Both are good.

I would never give up my Wii U because as you can see in my sig i Have Wii U, Wii, Gamecube, N64 and DS games injected on there. Almost 200 games. It is bad ass.

The Switch is also bad ass with new games and more coming.
It's not a matter of an opinion, it's a matter of pure facts.
WiiU is still far superior when it comes to it's library. For crying out loud, most of the Switch big hitters are rereleases from WiiU. Claiming otherwise is simply foolish. And if ''unlocked'', WiiU is the machine you want. You get almost every retro game available.

Maiken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn’t call it an upgrade, because the two consoles are like day and night. My Wii U is hacked. There are still quite a lot of games on it, that are amazing on the Wii U. And let’s not forgot all the emulators and backwards compatibility of the Wii U. If I want to play a Wii, GameCube or N64 game, the Wii U feels like the only realistic option right now. The switch just doesn’t emulate them (or not great in case of the N64).

My Switch is also hacked and it also has a lot of amazing games. I really like that I can play on the switch wherever I am. It feels a lot more like the upgrade for the 3DS i had, than the Wii U. I have a 4K TV, but even though the Wii U is only 720 and the Switch is 1080, I don’t notice the difference that much.

My advise: keep both. They have their own strenghts and weaknesses.

Last edited by Maiken,

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I bought a Switch with all the Wii U ports but I will never sell my Wii U for now because of Zelda TPHD and Zelda WWHD :wub:
And I have all my GC library that I can play with Nintendont

Last edited by Keylogger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC