Is it safe to format sd2vita sd card? It's causing other minor issues too

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi is it safe to format my SanDisk 128GB SD card inside my SD2VITA 5.0 adapter? I'm using YAMT, I think the SD card is dying, when I open vitashell inside vitadeploy, plug in my VITA 1K via USB to my laptop and run chkdsk e: /f it says:

Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

then inside the ux0 folder there is a FOUND.000 folder which I always delete through vitashell inside vitadeploy, before opening vitashell inside vitadeploy, plug in my VITA 1K via USB to my laptop and run chkdsk e: /f, I was playing Call of Duty Black Ops DeClassified multiplayer and it would randomly freeze, a black screen appears and the text says GPU Driver detects a GPU Crash Generating Coredump, I just press OK and it would exit back to the live area homescreen.

I fixed this via a Google search saying my ux0:tai folder was conflicting with my ur0:tai folder so I deleted the ux0:tai folder and also the official Sony 4GB memory card was the issue so I removed it as well and set ux0: SD2VITA and uma0: Internal Storage in the YAMT via the Settings app.

I thought my SD Card was dying so I googled can chkdsk fix corrupted sd card and it said try chkdsk [drive name:] /f, which I did and i do from time to time but it's always the same corruption was found while examing the volume bitmap, windows corrects the file system and the FOUND.OOO folder is auto generated which I always have to delete in the ux0 folder in vitashell.

other minor issues I'm having:
- when rebooting my PS VITA and launching hencore2, it would either just restart my PS VITA or show an C2-12828-1 error code, I press okay and it exits back to the live area homescreen and I would just keep launching hencore2 until it finally shows the [*] exit selected, press X and it says exiting and exits back to live area homescreen.

- when the PS vita enters sleep mode or after a restart or reboot it would say the "Memory card has been removed" message and ask me to restart, after restart I just launch hencore2 and exit to re-enable the hack. this "Memory card has been removed" message also pops up after launching hencore2, it restarts PS VITA and shows the memory card has been removed message so I just restart it and its fine.

I've backed up my entire SD card to my HDD D drive, I have my config.txt, so other than these minor issues is my SD card gunna randomly die on me in the near future? I can just buy another 128GB SanDisk sd card and copy the backup to the new one? its just small issues, but im worried of losing progress as it's unstable as to when the SD card will die, I'm sure this is all happening of my sd card, but idk if I can simply just copy over to a new sd card like with the 3ds and wii u. last resort is to remove the enso 3.65 mod and format and start fresh unless I really have to but would rather just format the sd card and copy over the backup to save time.

one more thing to note in my plugins list in Autoplugin 2 its says for the ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx plugin "The plugin is missing" and its also highlighted orange.

List of things I've done previously:
- open Henkaku settings via the settings app, press on Reload taiEN config.txt and then press on reboot device and then launch hencore2 over and over again until it shows [*] exit because it keeps restarting or showing c2-12828-1 error code.
- installed, then removed the VitaGrafix plugin via Autoplugin 2, after removing the VitaGrafix plugin, I press start to reboot the PS VITA, went inside the ur0: tai folder and manually deleted the VitaGrafix.sprx and then enter henkaku settings via the settings app, press on Reload taiEN config.txt and then press on reboot device and then launch hencore2 over and over again until it shows [*] exit.
-removed other unnecessary plugins from Autoplugin 2 and even removed them from the ur0:tai folder like those skprx files. ill show a screenshot of my currently installed plugins.
-installed 2 games via PKGj and then deleted them: the legend of heroes: trials of cold steel 2 and valkyria chronicles.

Please help me guys, also my SD Card won't corrupt my PS VITA console right? everything works fine, but I know this possibly corrupted SD Card will cause more problematic issues later in the future if ignored and thank you for your help.

TL;DR: SD card files may be corrupted and is causing minor issues.

Attachments

• config.txt
    1 KB · Views: 88
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    427 KB · Views: 82
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    728.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20220929_225956.jpg
    IMG_20220929_225956.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220930_004257.jpg
    IMG_20220930_004257.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20220930_004308.jpg
    IMG_20220930_004308.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just take the SD Card out of the adapter (With the Vita off of course!) and put it in a computer. if Everything shows up, you can copy all of the contents to a safe location on the computer, and format the card 1-3 times, Afterward, put all of the copied contents back on the SD card, and it shouldn't require any resetup. If this doesn't work, maybe reflash the card with the zzblank.img and then copy the contents over.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
chkdsk X: /f will only correct filesystem errors. So better run chkdsk X: /r which also checks for bad sectors. In addition you may run h2testw and perform a full write and read test.

If your using Yamt and get SDCard not insert errors try storagemgr instead.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just take the SD Card out of the adapter (With the Vita off of course!) and put it in a computer. if Everything shows up, you can copy all of the contents to a safe location on the computer, and format the card 1-3 times, Afterward, put all of the copied contents back on the SD card, and it shouldn't require any resetup. If this doesn't work, maybe reflash the card with the zzblank.img and then copy the contents over.
Hi, with the PS VITA turned off, then I take out the sd card out of the SD2VITA adapter, plug it into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader, it only shows a few folders, but it's missing the app and patch folder which is where the games and updates are stored and the addcont folder is there but it's empty inside even though I unchecked the Hide protected operating system files [Recommend] and Hidden files and folders is set to Show hidden files, folders, and drivers via File Explorer Options on my laptop:
Capture.PNG

This is what it looks like when opening vitashell (pressing select) via vitadeploy, plugged into laptop via USB with Hide protected operating system files [Recommend] unchecked and Hidden files and folders is set to Show hidden files, folders, and drivers via File Explorer Options, the app, addcont and patch folders are there and that's where the games, updates and dlc are installed and the game folders like PSCE00261 etc is inside those folders:
Capture2.PNG

a. Can I proceed to format the sd card plugged into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader now?
b. Or no because some folders are missing?

a. If 1 doesn't work because the app and patch folders are missing, Do I proceed to use the Win32 Disk Imager program tool to write the zzBlank.img onto my SD card, format it, then copy the backed up content back onto my PS VITA and exclude the System Volume Information folder as said in this guide?
b. do I need to re setup YAMT after this?

Sorry I'm a complete noob, still not familiar with the PS VITA stuff and it's not as simple and easy as the new 2ds xl and wii u.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, with the PS VITA turned off, then I take out the sd card out of the SD2VITA adapter, plug it into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader, it only shows a few folders, but it's missing the app and patch folder which is where the games and updates are stored and the addcont folder is there but it's empty inside even though I unchecked the Hide protected operating system files [Recommend] and Hidden files and folders is set to Show hidden files, folders, and drivers via File Explorer Options on my laptop:
View attachment 329384

This is what it looks like when opening vitashell (pressing select) via vitadeploy, plugged into laptop via USB with Hide protected operating system files [Recommend] unchecked and Hidden files and folders is set to Show hidden files, folders, and drivers via File Explorer Options, the app, addcont and patch folders are there and that's where the games, updates and dlc are installed and the game folders like PSCE00261 etc is inside those folders:
View attachment 329389

a. Can I proceed to format the sd card plugged into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader now?
b. Or no because some folders are missing?

a. If 1 doesn't work because the app and patch folders are missing, Do I proceed to use the Win32 Disk Imager program tool to write the zzBlank.img onto my SD card, format it, then copy the backed up content back onto my PS VITA and exclude the System Volume Information folder as said in this guide?
b. do I need to re setup YAMT after this?

Sorry I'm a complete noob, still not familiar with the PS VITA stuff and it's not as simple and easy as the new 2ds xl and wii u.

No, it's safe to format. You won't have to reinstall yamt if it's on ur0.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No, it's safe to format. You won't have to reinstall yamt if it's on ur0.
Hi, I can just simply format my sd card and copy the backed up content back onto it, that's it? I don't need to use the Win32 Disk Imager program tool to write the zzBlank.img onto my SD card? Sorry I'm super paranoid and anxious

Edit: so in other words it's the same as the new 2ds xl, just copy the whole SD card onto laptop, format it and copy the backed up contents back onto either a new or current SD card.

Edit 2: how do I know or check where YAMT is installed? on the autoplugins 2 list it's showing that the yamt_helper.skprx as missing

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it's new, you'd have to use win32 disk imager.
iirc I bought it brand new 2 months ago, as soon as I got home, i modded my VITA 1K and setup YAMT with the SD2VITA adapter.

also in my config.txt it shows this:
Capture3.PNG

I can format my sd card now because YAMT is installed on ur0 as you said, so I don't need to re setup YAMT again, also Sypherone suggests I should switch to StorageMgr, but idk how to do it as the PS Vita hacks guide YAMT section doesn't show how to remove YAMT, do I just simply uncheck the Use YAMT in the settings app?

So just format, copy and I don't need to exclude the System Volume Information folder? sorry for many questions

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd let it finish I guess.
I meant as in I should stop doing chkdsk e: /f over and over from time to time, i feel like doing chkdsk e: /f with my vita 1k plugged in will damage the SD card and cause issues.

edit: apparently you can fix a corrupted sd card with command prompt, but idk if this applies to the ps vita SD card used inside the SD2VITA adapter.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
chkdsk X: /f will only correct filesystem errors. So better run chkdsk X: /r which also checks for bad sectors. In addition you may run h2testw and perform a full write and read test.

If your using Yamt and get SDCard not insert errors try storagemgr instead.
Hi, I did chkdsk e: /r as you said and after 1 hour it still said:

I forgot to take a screenshot sorry as it took 1 hour, I've just backed up from my SD card everything to HDD D Drive, but unsure which way to safely format the SD card.

just a question, when I format, can I format it by:
1. opening vitashell through vitadeploy, press select, connect it via USB cable to PC, open up This PC and right click format on the USB Drive (E: ) to format it?

2. turn off the PS vita, take out the SD2VITA, take out the SD card, plug it into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader and then format it by right clicking format USB Drive (E: )via This PC?

Edit: I forgot to mention, i updated to latest firmware 3.74, installed enso 3.65 quick install and h-encore via the official PS Vita hacks guide and also some of the games I downloaded from PKGj like Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz are corrupted, I know because after downloading and installing them, I run chkdsk e: /f and it shows:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can format it on either pc or the vita itself through deploy. I'd just format it on the pc, since you have to paste everything back.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think you can format it on either pc or the vita itself through deploy. I'd just format it on the pc, since you have to paste everything back.
oh okay, I'll do it through PC then, also do I need to do a H2testw? because in your post https://gbatemp.net/threads/dammit-pstv.619293/post-9950686 you said your SD card past the test but it was still failing. if I didn't see your thread I would have forgotten to back up my entire PS vita SD card haha.

edit: I also can't buy another 128GB SD until my pay comes.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the errorcheck exits without errors because it corrected them, then its good. Ya it take some time depending on the fileamount.

You can format the card on PC without problems. Best move all your stuff to pc, hidden stuff need to be displayed by enable "show hidden folders" in Explorer. Then get zzblank.image and flash it with windiskimager to the drive. It will remove every partition entry, because sometimes there are little partition created by other software wich disturb the vita to correct use the card. Then reformat it and copy your stuff back.

If you put a # in front YAMT.suprx and also yamt_helper it will disable it. Some reported problems with unmounted SDCard by using YAMT when also a sony memorycard is insert. storagemgr has the advantage of a boot order, so it can be set first to check for sdcard ux0 then maybe sony memorycard and load the stuff from it as alternative.

There could also be wrong order in the config.txt . Maybe try this order and the yamt_helper in first position over 0syscall6.skprx. Also disable the other not necessary plugins under kernel, to check if they have a conflict.
*KERNEL
ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx
ur0:tai/nonpdrm.skprx
ur0:tai/0syscall6.skprx
ur0:tai/repatch.skprx
ur0:tai/itls.skprx

Last edited by Sypherone,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Might as well, but do note that I don't know for sure that's the problem.
I just formatted my 128GB SD card, with it being plugged into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader, I was about to copy the backed up contents over, but I decided to cancel it and do the h2testw just to verify that my SD card is still fine or going bad.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto