Is it possible to connect a 2DS XL and an emulated DS (melonDS) on PictoChat?

JRMcCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, I've had this question with me for some time.
So, is it, in any way possible, to connect a 2DS XL running Pictochat and an emulated DS system (firmware and stuff) with melonDS running the same PictoChat, is there an option to run that? I'm aware of melonDS's new multiplayer, but, I'm not sure if it works with real devices, would be cool tho, but, yeah, that, or do I need to run the vDS on Citra, or something?
You may be saying "Duuh, just use another real device and you're gold" but, I don't have another devide with me, DS, DSi, 2DS, 2DS XL, 3DS or 3DS XL, and I don't want to buy another one bcuz they're goddang expensive and I don't need another at the moment, so yeah, any advice?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've had this question with me for some time.
So, is it, in any way possible, to connect a 2DS XL running Pictochat and an emulated DS system (firmware and stuff) with melonDS running the same PictoChat, is there an option to run that? I'm aware of melonDS's new multiplayer, but, I'm not sure if it works with real devices, would be cool tho, but, yeah, that, or do I need to run the vDS on Citra, or something?
You may be saying "Duuh, just use another real device and you're gold" but, I don't have another devide with me, DS, DSi, 2DS, 2DS XL, 3DS or 3DS XL, and I don't want to buy another one bcuz they're goddang expensive and I don't need another at the moment, so yeah, any advice?
No

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might be easier to use an alternative chat program that speaks normal network and hoping whatever multiplayer emulator can in turn make use of that. Good old IRC on up being available.
DS local wifi communications use an odd standard that very few network cards (most of which are going to be ancient and need custom drivers, possibly even Linux) will be able to speak. I don't know how much still exists on the internet for wifime but that would be the path you are heading down, that or using a DS as a puppet or going full custom radio (which may or may be legal where you are -- lot of places get touchy about such things by people not already suitably blessed). Otherwise it is usually dubbed nifi and is something like normal 802.11b but without the header.
Gettting picoboot is also not necessarily a trivial act either, though some people were doing good stuff converting the firmware (which will be what houses dicktochat) to .nds files which can be run in emulators and/or later hardware.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you want to do that? PictoChat is pointless.
In times like this you have two choices.

1)"Ours is not the reason why, ours is but to do or die"

2) Try to figure out what the person actually wants to do, either phrasing the question poorly or lacking the vocabulary, and cater to that*. In this case presumably wants to use a DS to send messages to a PC and vice versa, now whether graphical is required may be the subject for a further discussion; as great as IRC is then sending an ASCII art penis just does not hit the same as a crudely drawn one on the DS touchscreen (or PC mouse for an emulator) so could be a dealbreaker there.

*if you are one of the pond life that makes up the sales and marketing department you take this requirement and sell them a dream based on some imagined future case to take them for even more money. This disconnect is why engineers make awful salesmen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade