Hardware Is It Possible For The O3DS Model To Use Both of Its CPU Cores For Gaming Usage?

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. New Person Here!

I’m asking this since I wanna know if I can increase my O3DS model’s performance. I heard the Handheld’s CPU has a Dual Core ARM11 MPCore (268 MHz). However, only one core is utilized for gaming applications while the other is for background multitasking. But in my case, I would gladly wish for have both cores to be used specifically for gaming usage or atleast to certain extent (I heard Core 2 sometimes is 30% used in gaming but I’m not sure if that is true). And with that, I would also like to know how much of performance gain I may get as well and it would be wise to know (I’m playing games like Mario 3D Land, Dream Team, and RE: Revelations. All locked at exactly 30 FPS)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this was at all easy to do, don't you think someone would have done it already?

Rewriting a program compiled to run on a single core to instead take advantage of multiple cores is a fundamentally challenging task regardless of platform.

Reactions: ViviVoid

guitarburger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With the extra power, you would also remove the 30 FPS lock on the game, which isn't automatically possible.

On the PS Vita, the only PSP games that had 60 FPS patches were games that originally ran at 60 FPS on the PS2, but were then ported to the PSP at 30 FPS. Other than that, you're not going to easily get around the 30 FPS lock on those games.

Last edited by guitarburger,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
However, both do work on the New 3DS, but only because the entire system removes the system menu and multitasking applications before it boots up the game. When you press the Home menu while these games are open, what you're looking at is only the "appearance" of a home menu, and if you close the game, the whole system goes black and reboots into the actual system menu.

You also can't use the browser while the game is suspended on original 3DS.
Sometimes called extended memory mode. Mode 3 in that list:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_regions#FCRAM_memory-regions_layout
The OS is not fully unloaded and the "Notes" applet still works if I remember correctly (the browser not, like you said).
====

No idea about the usage of the additional core. I'll better be quite in this regard before making a fool of myself.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this was at all easy to do, don't you think someone would have done it already?

Rewriting a program compiled to run on a single core to instead take advantage of multiple cores is a fundamentally challenging task regardless of platform.
Dude, they’re just asking if it’s possible. They didn’t say ‘this is so easy why are devs too lazy to fulfil my needs’.

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes called extended memory mode. Mode 3 in that list:

The OS is not fully unloaded and the "Notes" applet still works if I remember correctly (the browser not, like you said).
====

No idea about the usage of the additional core. I'll better be quite in this regard before making a fool of myself.
Is this kind of feature available on the O3DS model? I would want that kind of performance boost in my games

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this kind of feature available on the O3DS model? I would want that kind of performance boost in my games
You didn't answer the question: if this was at all easy to do, don't you think someone would have done it already?

You've probably already seen games that are written to run in extended memory mode, like Smash Bros. There is no "performance boost" to be had because they're already going to get as much of a "performance boost" as they ever will.

Reactions: Mike_77712

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You didn't answer the question: if this was at all easy to do, don't you think someone would have done it already?

You've probably already seen games that are written to run in extended memory mode, like Smash Bros. There is no "performance boost" to be had because they're already going to get as much of a "performance boost" as they ever will.
Okay. I understand much better now.

But is it true that some games actually use Core 2 officially(keyword) for gaming usage. I know core 2 is supposed to be reserved for background multitasking only but I heard from somebody that core 2 can be utilized for gaming usage, especially on the 3DS’s later OFW

“I understand Nintendo has done enough for Old3DS as they made extended memory mode and unlocked 30% of Core 2 for gaming usage in its later OFW.” -HomeJogger​

Source: Why we couldn’t overclock the Old3DS as PSVITA/NSwitch did?(To push it over its firmware limits?

Reactions: retrospect

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But is it true that some games actually use Core 2 officially(keyword) for gaming usage.
What if they do? Your first post suggests that what you're really interested in is getting games like "Mario 3D Land, Dream Team, and RE: Revelations" running at 60 FPS. Yes, maybe if someone completely reverse-engineered these games they might be able to find some way to get an extra performance boost out of them. But no one is likely to do that because reverse-engineering a game is an absolutely enormous task.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...