Hacking Is it currently safe to disable the dns blocking to access eshop and update games?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are using DNS blocker. They run nnu patcher and it lets them use eShop/update games until they reboot. So basically you're unprotected until you reboot.
You are still protected as sys updates are still blocked but eshop and game updates are not.

Reactions: StonedPurple

StonedPurple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are still protected as sys updates are still blocked but eshop and game updates are not.
Ah, I was unaware of that. I thought using nnu patcher was basically the same as removing your DNS except with nnu patcher you don't have to go re-enable your DNS when you're done.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I was unaware of that. I thought using nnu patcher was basically the same as removing your DNS except with nnu patcher you don't have to go re-enable your DNS when you're done.
No basically how it works is every time you start the eshop the wiiu first connects to the sys update server to check you are on the latest version of firmware if you are the eshop then loads. because of the dns blockers the wiiu can't check if you are on latest firmware so the eshop fails to load so nnu patcher tells the wiiu that it is on the latest firmware so the eshop loads without doing the check. It's the same for game updates but you first need to enter the eshop so as to tell the wiiu it's on the latest firmware to allow the game update to start.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: CyberMario

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do I just run the nnu patcher from the homebrew shop from the homebrew launcher or do I need to download it on the PC?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do I just run the nnu patcher from the homebrew shop from the homebrew launcher or do I need to download it on the PC?
Just get it from the homebrew app store then load it. The wiiu will then reset at that point enter the eshop then exit it and then start your game update by clicking on the game on the home screen.

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just get it from the homebrew app store then load it. The wiiu will then reset at that point enter the eshop then exit it and then start your game update by clicking on the game on the home screen.

Ok thanks, will give that a try once I've finished dumping the last few games.

Edit: hmm just tried and getting the error trying to update after running the nnu patch and the eshop. Can you only update eshop games or dumped disk games?

Last edited by fowler002,
Reactions: AmandaRose

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: naddel81

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
great, will check that out when zelda needs an update :)

btw: can we download updates to games installed via brazilian method this way? or even get DLC that way?
Yes you can update this way with the Brazilian method and yes you can get dlc but you need to buy it from the eshop. If you want pirate dlc you need to obtain it from the Internet

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can update this way with the Brazilian method and yes you can get dlc but you need to buy it from the eshop. If you want pirate dlc you need to obtain it from the Internet

which would require a CFW loaded first because of sig checks, right?

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The last three games that I dumped that needed updates I ended up getting off the Wii u USB helper and installing with wup, I was on the PC anyway deleting the dumped files to make room on the sd card.

Are the updates on the USB helper the latest one?

Editi: hmm don't know why but managed to get the update working using nnu patcher for donkey kong country tropical freeze, was one of the three games earlier that didn't work when I tried after the nnu patcher.

Last edited by fowler002,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones