Hacking Is installing game updates available within wud dumps possible?

jsan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi!

I am new to the Wii U scene, 2nd hand prices were too tempting to not try out. Along with my new (old) wii u, I also bought a physical copy of Zelda BOTW. I have haxchi up and running, so I was able to dump the DVD using wudump. From the wud file I could extract the game using Jwudtool (with the extract all option). It installs without any issues using WupInstaller, but on launch it asks for an update. After investigating a bit more I saw that JWudtool can also extract an update when using the `-decrypt` option. However, this `update` does not have the folder structure required by tools such as `Nuspacker` to generate anything installable by WupInstaller.

I know I can try to download updates from other sources, but to be honest I am courious as to whether it would be possible to use the `update` that comes in the disc directly.

Thanks in advance for any information on this matter!

Cheers

D

Deleted-236924

Wouldn't you be able to just insert the disk and install the update that way?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi!

I am new to the Wii U scene, 2nd hand prices were too tempting to not try out. Along with my new (old) wii u, I also bought a physical copy of Zelda BOTW. I have haxchi up and running, so I was able to dump the DVD using wudump. From the wud file I could extract the game using Jwudtool (with the extract all option). It installs without any issues using WupInstaller, but on launch it asks for an update. After investigating a bit more I saw that JWudtool can also extract an update when using the `-decrypt` option. However, this `update` does not have the folder structure required by tools such as `Nuspacker` to generate anything installable by WupInstaller.

I know I can try to download updates from other sources, but to be honest I am courious as to whether it would be possible to use the `update` that comes in the disc directly.

Thanks in advance for any information on this matter!

Cheers
The update that is on the disc is not the latest. Get the latest update, along with the two DLCs.
But yes, originally this is how people got the dumped game working. Someone had to figure out how to extract that update just so the game would work.
Are the files in .app/.h3 format? That is the format used by wupinstaller.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

jsan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Wouldn't you be able to just insert the disk and install the update that way?

That's not a bad idea actually, but I don't know if it's possible. I'll try to start the installed BOTW game with the disc in the drive and see if it reads it. However, this solution is suboptimal in that if your dvd unit is not working at some point in the future then it's not feasible to install the update from the DVD itself.

The update that is on the disc is not the latest. Get the latest update, along with the two DLCs.
But yes, originally this is how people got the dumped game working. Someone had to figure out how to extract that update just so the game would work.
Are the files in .app/.h3 format? That is the format used by wupinstaller.

The update folder is pretty special: it does not contain the usual code/ content/ meta/ structure but only a folder called update. Inside this folder there are a lot of subfolders (around 100 or so) and they are filled with .app/.h3 files. I guess you could install them one by one, but not sure if the installation order is relevant or how long it could take to install around 100 of these small packages...

D

Deleted-236924

That's not a bad idea actually, but I don't know if it's possible. I'll try to start the installed BOTW game with the disc in the drive and see if it reads it.

Does something prevent you from starting it from the disc drive?

Also, like Jdbye said, you'll be better served just getting the latest update from either the eShop, or NUS, unless you just really don't have the drive space to install the latest update.

Last edited by ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's not a bad idea actually, but I don't know if it's possible. I'll try to start the installed BOTW game with the disc in the drive and see if it reads it. However, this solution is suboptimal in that if your dvd unit is not working at some point in the future then it's not feasible to install the update from the DVD itself.

The update folder is pretty special: it does not contain the usual code/ content/ meta/ structure but only a folder called update. Inside this folder there are a lot of subfolders (around 100 or so) and they are filled with .app/.h3 files. I guess you could install them one by one, but not sure if the installation order is relevant or how long it could take to install around 100 of these small packages...
I think you should combine them all into one folder, but you may need to change the file names as well. Never done it before, so I'm not sure.
Or, another thought. Maybe that update data is actually the system update included on the disc, and not the BOTW update you're looking for? I assume discs contain system updates like they did back on the Wii so that people without internet access can still play.
If there are multiple .app/.h3 files in each folder, it doesn't seem like they would all be a part of the same title.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1