Homebrew Is Downgrading Permanantly Gone?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes, anything that uses svcBackdoor will break which apparently includes emulators with dynarec. But if you aren't already using the 10.2 firmware.bin with your cfw (which anyone using NTR already is) doing so apparently fixes it.
This is a big deal - it'll also break PCSX ReARMed then, as well as Picodrive's 32X and SVP support. I don't use NTR so I just have 10.4 native firm.

So, it's safe to update to 11.0 but we have to use outdated native firm?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, anything that uses svcBackdoor will break which apparently includes emulators with dynarec. But if you aren't already using the 10.2 firmware.bin with your cfw (which anyone using NTR already is) doing so apparently fixes it.

If you can write a CFW you have complete control over the system. Would it be possible to have the CFW patch the system to allow an equivalent form of access to svcBackdoor?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a big deal - it'll also break PCSX ReARMed then, as well as Picodrive's 32X and SVP support. I don't use NTR so I just have 10.4 native firm.

So, it's safe to update to 11.0 but we have to use outdated native firm?

Yes. Since you are using luma just grab the 10.2 firmware.bin file and put it in sd:/luma/ . As for it being completely safe, that is not 100% certain as it is always possible that cfw detection/banning code has been added.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you can write a CFW you have complete control over the system. Would it be possible to have the CFW patch the system to allow an equivalent form of access to svcBackdoor?

Yes, at least in theory. I don't know if any of the cfw devs are working on it yet since you can always just use the same 10.2 firmware.bin that is used to make NTR work.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
So why all the fuss about not been able to downgrade anymore?
- If you are on 10.7 you still can downgrade!
- If you are on 9.2> you still can downgrade! (Upgrading to latest Firmware to downgrade is not really needed!)

And i'll tell it again:
- Make NAND backups before you upgrade! (Yes, sysNAND AND EmuNAND)
- And to be 100% safe, make a SD backup of your 3DS SD (Files backup or image or even both!)

If you updated to 11 before getting OTP or whatever you need to downgrade for, well nothing to say then, damned you where really stupid!

Last edited by DjoeN,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I had assumed that dynarec simply required kernel access, which would obviously be granted by whatever exploit you are using. It surprises me that we also relied on svcBackdoor within the firmware. I'd love to know the technical reason for this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I had assumed that dynarec simply required kernel access, which would obviously be granted by whatever exploit you are using. It surprises me that we also relied on svcBackdoor within the firmware. I'd love to know the technical reason for this.
Within an updated CFW emuNAND/sysNAND the kernel exploits are patched. Since svchax is also not working there's no way to get ARM11 access once booted into an updated NAND. Though svchax would hardly be ideal for running emulators anyway due to how unstable it is.
It would be possible to patch in a backdoor in FIRM to for example allow direct ARM9/ARM11 kernel access from within CFW without additional exploits. It's just that no one has done that yet.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7