Ipod is the worst mp3 player of all time!!

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
What are the advantages of drag-and-drop against iTunes? I prefer the iTunes method for some reason because I don't see why it's bad to have all your music in one location, easily tagged, and when I sync my iPod I don't have to manually drag and drop music files to it, cause it does it automatically. But the last time I used the drag and drop method was like 3 years ago, so I don't know :/
I have to concede that syncing is nice, but I don't like the idea of not being able to get my music off the iPod and back onto a different hard drive if I want to. Winamp and other programs automatically add ID3 tags from the CDDB and sort the MP3s into organized folders when you rip albums, so tagging and organization has never been an issue for me. And if someone like a friend or relative wants to recharge their iPod on my PC, I don't like how iTunes always comes on and tries to sync their iPod with my music collection. If iTunes had a feature where it could manage separate collections for different iPods, I might find it more tolerable. I stopped using iTunes a long time ago when I was turned off by it, so things might be different now (please tell me if it is). But still, I would rather be able to access the iPod as a removable storage drive and have the option of copying files to and from it by simple drag-and-drop.

I don't just listen to music, but audiobooks and audio courses as well. When I'm done with them, I like to be able to just delete the folder containing those files on my iPod so they don't pop up randomly while I'm listening to some music on the treadmill.

That all said, I still love the iPod, but iTunes could be better.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the iPod series, especially the shuffle, is ridiculous, in that you pay more for less features. I had a €10 MP3 player once and when it broke down, it still did more than the iPod shuffle.

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have several friends with iPods and they've had nothing but trouble.
I've had one of the 120G Zunes since they first came out and it's flawless so far.
The Zune software can be tricky (accidentally deleted a gig or so of music off my player once) but free and frequent upgrades are showing improvement.

If only it'd let me use it as a storage device...

-BZ

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, iTunes isn't that great on a PC, but it works well enough (no 11 seconds load up times here, sync goes fast as well)
After all I think using iTunes is way better than the drag and drop shit...you don't have to worry about a logical folder structure or which song to replace with a reworked (ID3Tag changed) version etc.
Just getting songs from an iPod is a little bit meh...but after all the iTunes + iPod concept works very well

And about comparing a iPod with a cheap DX MP3...I don't think you get such a good display or a good menu with genius, coverflow, etc from this cheap one...I had cheap ones and they were crap

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree with some of the people here.

iTunes is fucking horrible. It is a sorry excuse for a piece of shit.

iPods on the other hand have not really disappointed me that much. They have frozen and completely erased all my music and shit like that but I have noticed that only happens when I was connecting it to the PC and iTunes was starting up thus I blame all of it on iTunes, that fucking piece of shit.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iTunes is the worst software of all time.
WHY can't they make it drag-and-drop?!?!?
wtf.gif

Half the time I plug in my iPod Classic into iTunes, it says its mac formatted and needs to be reformatted.
I HAVEN'T EVEN PLUGGED IT INTO A MAC ONCE!! D:

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Whoa whoa whoa, iTunes may be over-sized, sluggish and buggy... but it certainly isn't... umm. Oh right, it's horrible. However, I do enjoy my iPod Touch.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an iPod nano, somethings are a pain, like average format support, lack of expandable memory, and proprietary cables, but other than that, I'm enjoying it.

Also, iTunes is a piece of shit, don't use it, use Mediamonkey or something instead.

agentgamma said:
iTunes is the worst software of all time.
WHY can't they make it drag-and-drop?!?!?
wtf.gif

Half the time I plug in my iPod Classic into iTunes, it says its mac formatted and needs to be reformatted.
I HAVEN'T EVEN PLUGGED IT INTO A MAC ONCE!! D:

For all you know, maybe it's cheating on your PC.

QUOTE(hankchill @ Feb 21 2009, 05:01 PM) I never had a problem with an iPod or iTunes, ever.

You sir have bad luck. Or maybe Apple is becoming the new Microsoft.

iTunes for Mac - Great
iTunes for Windows - Seriously, who the fuck ported this shit?

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The iPod Touch and iPhone are indeed nice pieces of hardware. The iPod Classics and Nanos suck hard though IMO. In addition to poor codec support, they sound like garbage. No matter what headphones I've used on iPods, including Sennheisers, the sound is flat and lifeless. Couple that with a poor screen, very small feature set (No FM, no Wi-Fi, etc) and you basically have a very poor MP3 player. The build quality is usually pretty good though.

If you don't care about iTunes, don't use an iPod. Get a Zune, Samsung, Cowon, or an iRiver. Your ears will thank you
tongue.gif

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Praetor192 said:
Beware said:
The $1 a year thing made me laugh. Hard. I seriously hope you are joking.
Nope, not joking. Look it up, instead of a large salary he gets stock options.

Beware said:
Also, you run Mac, so you are used to the kind of bullshit that Mac applications spew (as the OS is built around it). Also, the Windows version of iTunes is basically a port of a hack, so it's obviously going to run much worse. And to say "You are wrong" to the OP is just plain rude and ignorant. "Independent review sources" do NOT make an MP3 player better than another.
I run a mac, and have used Windows probably more than you have. I have been a computer junkie my whole life, I spend my time playing around with them, doing minor coding experiments and physically taking them apart and rebuilding them (including an old Toshiba laptop). You are obviously one of the retarded biased failures who has either 1) never used a mac 2) bought in to the whole "internet peer pressure" thing, or 3) used it for a small period of time under restricted access settings (ex. school, a friend's, or work). Macs are clearly much better, but that would literally turn into a topic that is dozens (if not hundreds) of pages long (trust me, I have done of those debates before on a site called maplantis.org, now supplanted by staredit.net). Did I say that iPods were better? No, I said the customer satisfaction for the reliability of the product as well as the resolution of problems was greater.

Beware said:
How's this for why the iPod sucks compared to most other available products: VERY low codec support (about 5 audio [MP3, WAV, AIF, M4A, and AAC] and 2 or 3 video codecs), awful file organization, over-zealous encryption, DRM riddled, mediocre interface, and absolutely terrible way of transferring music.
Many mp3 players have low codec support, and iPods handle the most common filetypes. If you wish to play music that is in another format, you can change it or you can install third party programs on your iPod. The file organization is excellent, allowing you to sort by a variety of different criteria as well as create playlists on the fly. Encryption and DRM? Nope, my iPod has neither of those. Only songs bought through online stores and from some CDs have DRM, and it is easily circumvented. Most of my music is either from torrents or CDs and not online stores, so my music is DRM-free. I can use simple drag-and-drop programs to move my music from my iPod to my computer, and iTunes from my computer to my iPod. The interface started out simplistic and manageable, and has since evolved to being a very intuitive management system that is very clean and easy to use. Terrible way of transferring music? By that you mean plugging it in to your computer and dragging files over, as you have to do with every other mp3 player? Or do you mean the iPod Touch's ability to download music on the go? Both seem fine for me.

QUOTE(Beware @ Feb 19 2009, 08:41 PM)
Who the fuck are you to tell the OP HE is wrong for being unhappy with a PMP that has now broken on him FIVE times???
Nobody I know has had their iPod break more than 3 times, and that person was often neglecting the well-being of his device (he accidentally dropped one, lifted up the leg of the chair he was sitting on to get up to look for it, and that put the leg directly on top of the screen. When he sat down after not seeing it, it got crushed. Another one of his he dropped and one corner of the screen cracked. A third the harddrive gave out, and 1 month out of warranty apple still replaced it for free.) The OP obviously neglects his iPod in order for it to have broken 5 times, and even if it had for reasons out of his control, apple would still likely replace it for free. Thus, I can clearly and objectively say that he is wrong.

1. As I stated about the Steve Jobs bit, his salary is completely meaningless since he is still worth BILLIONS. He doesn't need any salary.

2. Now you are just making assumptions about me. If you bothered to find out a damn thing about me instead of jumping to ignorant conclusions when someone's opinion doesn't agree with yours, you would know that I am a HUGE tech junky. I, too, rebuild, do some minor coding, and fuck around with them all the time. You are just making ignorant assumptions that are WAY off base.

3. I HAVE used Mac. I've used it quite a bit. I gave into the huge hype when Apple was making it's comeback. I ran Hack-intoshes and my GF has a Mac (she needed it for school). I used it for a while and realized how awful of an OS it is. I could go into detail, but that's not what this is about.

4. I was trying to illustrate a point that it is all OPINIONS. Just because YOU like the organization and can deal with the DRMs and the software doesn't mean other people can. You are the the Alpha nor the Omega.

5. Once again, you are making blatant assumptions. Do you know the OP? Do you know he abused it?? Just because YOU don't know people who this kind of thing has happened to does NOT mean it doesn't happen.

There was no reason to attack me like that. I didn't make assumptions about your character based on a stupid forum post and I did NOT insult the character of someone who I don't even know their name. That was unnecessary and rude.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DarkMatt said:
The iPod Touch and iPhone are indeed nice pieces of hardware. The iPod Classics and Nanos suck hard though IMO. In addition to poor codec support, they sound like garbage. No matter what headphones I've used on iPods, including Sennheisers, the sound is flat and lifeless. Couple that with a poor screen, very small feature set (No FM, no Wi-Fi, etc) and you basically have a very poor MP3 player. The build quality is usually pretty good though.

If you don't care about iTunes, don't use an iPod. Get a Zune, Samsung, Cowon, or an iRiver. Your ears will thank you
tongue.gif
Weird, I find it decent, I have a pair or Shure E3cs and have my music is encoded in M4A at an average bitrate of 160kb/s.

My friend has a Zune 120, and I can't tell the difference, he has most of his music in MP3 320 kb/s.

Probably just my ears.

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No doubt the ipod sucks...ASS
And it's a proven fact that the DS Moonshell plays music better than the ipod...
And it's a lot easier to store music too!
But people get ipods anyways because of two things...
1) The build quality is... ... better than the competition
2) Even IF the music that shits out sounds like trash...at least it plays music...

But the itunes....Oh crap don't get me started...

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
yikkyon said:
And it's a proven fact that the DS Moonshell plays music better than the ipod...
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

Agreed.

@ OP, just because you suck with electronics, that doesn't mean that iPods suck. I, for one, love my 1gb iPod shuffle 3rd gen. There's nothing difficult about using itunes either.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ferrariman said:
DarkMatt said:

tongue.gif
Weird, I find it decent, I have a pair or Shure E3cs and have my music is encoded in M4A at an average bitrate of 160kb/s.

My friend has a Zune 120, and I can't tell the difference, he has most of his music in MP3 320 kb/s.

Probably just my ears.

Actually, the problem is with the shures. The E3Cs and the E2Cs sound exactly the same. Why is it more expensive with a different model name? Marketing, of course.

And since it's sound signature isn't very "cold", it doesn't really bring out the detail in bitrates. It'd be surprising for me to hear that someone can hear the difference.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
C'mon now guys, iTunes is wonderful. It starts up all nice and quick, runs super smooth, and does a great job of...

HAW, oh man, sorry... sorry, I couldn't keep that up much longer. Whoooo boy. Seriously.

Seriously.

I can start Firefox, Photoshop, WoW, and play through the first quest of The Legend of Zelda before iTunes finally starts, and decides my iPod is there. I've not seen many programs as bloated as iTunes has become. It started out fairly nice. but years/features later, it's a damn hog. And yet, there are so many basic things missing. Plus, I've long since lost count of how many people have asked me "How do I copy my music from my iPod to my computer?" or some variation of that. Well, you -could- hit consolidate library, but you'd have a better chance of splitting an atom with your foot.

I've been a yamipod whore for years now. It's like having iTunes lite. Hey, wait, there's an idea, Apple... iTunes lite! No god damned Genius, album art fetching, gapless playback determining (it has to think of how to play things right after another?), cover flow, whiskey distilling, apple store, burning, ripping, podcasts, or any other crap I can't bother to think of. Just "hey, I downloaded an album, and I'd like to copy it to my iPod. That's it."

Oh, but iPods are mostly ok. Had 2 so far, and even my 3rd gen is still working to this day. And I'm fairly rough on them. OP must have played racquetball with his.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: