Hacking Interfaces on many homebrew apps.

nas939

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I've noticed that many homebrew apps, while offering awesome functionality, have some pretty barebones (ugly) interfaces.
Now I know virtually nothing about coding so have no idea if this is because it's hard to implement, or if it's because teams and developers would rather spend time perfecting the code than prettying the interface.

If it is because of the latter then i'd just like to say that i'm fairly experienced with photoshop and, while i haven't done much interface development before i can definately learn and if anyone would like my help i'd love to be able to help.

Applications like Geexbox, mplayer, and even the backup loaders, etc. could all use some prettying up.

So feel free to pm me or just reply to this topic if you like.

jspicher

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.coastalwebinnovations.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the reason the GUIs are so compact/simple and unattractive (to you) is because the developers do not want to add a bunch of graphics that will A.) use up your wii memory blocks (and god knows everyone is already having a problem with that), and B.) adding a bunch of unnecessary artwork to the GUIs will increase the loading time of channels/homebrew apps.

I like pretty GUIs just as much as the next guy; but l need all the memory blocks on my wii that l can get, and l also don't want to wait an extra 3 or 4 seconds every time l click on a channel/homebrew app just because it's got pretty rollover effects, and neat graphical elements.

It's not how the app looks that makes it great, it's what it accomplishes.

nas939

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that the functionality of the apps is most important but i disagree with your logic.

Most homebrew apps are stored on SD cards and most people already have SD cards with capacities in excess of 2gb.

I also doubt it would affect the loading times that much, there is a very nice game called smashing! which i think is a good example of a homebrew app with a pretty nice interface.

It has virtually no loading time and takes up an almost negligible amount of space on my SD card.

Channels and savegames are what take up space (or memory blocks), not homebrew apps.

jspicher

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.coastalwebinnovations.com
XP
Country
United States
>Channels and savegames are what take up space (or memory blocks), not homebrew apps.

You're right, l was considering the fact that useful homebrew apps would be injected into wads, and used as channels otherwise the only space that's being used is on the SD.

In regards to loading times... I've read that background sounds, and overhead images can cause loading issues but have not encounter it myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game