Installing Windows 8 on cheap tablet?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought Windows 8 during a promotion on impulse but I've still not got an excuse to use it on my laptop or PC anytime soon. What I was interested in is trying to see if I can install it on a cheap tablet. Is this possible and if so, which brand of tablet should I get to install Windows 8?

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, your license is problaby for Windows 8 x86/x86_64 (PC architecture). Most tablets use an architecture based on ARM processors so you can't use your Windows 8 license on a tablet. But, wait... There are some tablets based on x86/x86_64 so maybe you could use your license on them, but I am not sure about that. And x86 tablets are pretty much expensive so...

Reactions: Vinnymac

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Windows 8 for PC and Windows 8 for Tablets are two entirely different things - if your tablet is x86 or x86_64 (making it practically a UMPC...) then yes, you may. Otherwise, no, you can't. I'm willing to wager that the second option applies here.

Couldn't have explained it better! ;)

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen those tablets that have Windows 7 running on them. Am I right in thinking that is a modified version of W7 is is there a way to overwrite that with PC W8?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
If they're running Win7 you should be able to get it to boot a Win8 ISO from a USB stick. Probably need the x86 (32 bit) version for it. Drivers for the touchscreen might be a bit iffy as well.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, since no one has mentioned this, if you do get the tablet version of windows 8, that does not mean that you can run programs that run on your computer. I don't mean from a performance perspective, I mean that the cpu in the ARM based tablet will not be able to read the executables

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was under the impression that you're not able to purchase the Windows RT version of Windows 8? They're supposed to come pre-loaded on ARM tablets to prevent side-loading of other OSs, meaning that what you have should be an x86/x64 license. Such a license should be perfectly usable on tablets currently using Windows 7 in most cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c