PS1/2 Installing games to ps2 hdd that dre

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got my hard drive installed in my ps2 and got hdloadee to format it but when I went to install a game it's saying it is not a valid ps2 disc.

This is crazy because I am using games that were playing fine last night, but sure enough when I try to play them normally now I am getting disc read error.

I could barely get one esr game to work out of about 4 that I tried and it doesn't work all the time. I figure my laser is going bad and have ordered a new one.

Anyway what are my options of getting a game on my hard drive to at least test it out if my ps2 will not read the discs?

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need an enclosure to do that don't I. May have to invest in one. Any other methods I can do with out one?

Also, I am really new to this, can I copy hdloader to my memory card? I ran it off of USB. Do I just use ulaunch to copy the elf file to the memory card?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No enclosure needed; ide to usb adapter and power supply is what I use. Or xdump if your ps2 is networked.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I'll get one of those tomorrow.

I had adjusted my laser height yesterday and I guess that is what was screwing it up. I put it back to the original position and it started working again.

So right now I have the hdloader elf file on a USB drive and I have to launch it from there using uloader, is there a simple way to get it to the memory card with the rest of the apps that came in the fmcb noobie package? When trying to find instructions to do so I only came across some very complicated methods involving burning discs and editing files and stuff. Ulaunch let's me copy it to the memory card but it doesn't show up, can't I just edit a config file to make it show up or something?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I'll get one of those tomorrow.

I had adjusted my laser height yesterday and I guess that is what was screwing it up. I put it back to the original position and it started working again.

So right now I have the hdloader elf file on a USB drive and I have to launch it from there using uloader, is there a simple way to get it to the memory card with the rest of the apps that came in the fmcb noobie package? When trying to find instructions to do so I only came across some very complicated methods involving burning discs and editing files and stuff. Ulaunch let's me copy it to the memory card but it doesn't show up, can't I just edit a config file to make it show up or something?
The shortcuts on the FMCB main menu aren't there because they are necessarily on the memory card. If you want the ease of launching hdloader from the FMCB main menu it's just a matter of creating a shortcut for it even though the .elf is on the usb stick. Is that what you mean? If so, navigate to the FMCB Configurator and open OSDSYS options. You can create a shortcut named HDLoader (or whatever) and set the path to point to the .elf on your usb stick. Shouldn't be any need to move it to the memory card.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that is helpful but I would actually prefer not to have the memory stick plugged in every time I want to launch a game from the hard drive actually.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I copied the elf to the memory card and then used the configurator and went to OSDSYS to create a shortcut to it. this did not work, the shortcut is not showing up and if I go back in to the configurator it doesn't show the shortcut I setup, it isn't there anymore. I tried a few times with no luck. Is there something I have to do to save the changes after I set it up? I couldn't see an option to do so.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After making your changes to OSDSYS, go back to the previous screen and either SAVE CNF TO MC0 or MC1 depending on which mc slot your FMCB is. Sony normally numbers their ports from right to left, so 0 is the right most above player 2 and 1 is the left most above player 1.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit:
I owe you a beer. This worked.

I was able to make the shortcut but for some reason hdloader does not work when I launch the elf from the memory card, I just get a black screen. I tried using ulaunchelf to launch from the memory card and it also black screened.

Do I need to have a specific hdloader elf that will work from the memory card?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you place the hdloader .elf on the mc where the other apps that came with the noobie package are. It shouldn't make a difference, but I'd definitely try that next.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's where I put it. They are all in a folder named boot.
Oops, swapped mc0 and mc1, just double checked on my ps2; but if you found the boot folder then this isn't a problem. I just moved opl to my memory card from my usb stick without a problem. The newer noobie package comes with opl while the older one still came with hdloader. I take it that from uLaunch you navigated to the hdloader.elf on your MASS, R1 to bring up the menu, COPY, navigate back to MC0/ROOT/, R1 to bring up the menu, PASTE, and watch it write to the mc card, yes? I don't see why that wouldn't work.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just checked sksapps and there is a specific version that says mc only. It's not the latest version that works with gow2 and the gta games unfortunately. So I guess it's a compatibility problem.

I am thinking I will try to burn a disc to run the latest version instead. I will probably also try the mc version as well.

One other thing I noticed was problems installing games if I make the name to complicated. It would hang, so I found a simple name works than I can just rename it after it installs.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Reactions: mechadylan

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other thing I noticed was problems installing games if I make the name to complicated. It would hang, so I found a simple name works than I can just rename it after it installs.
I used to run into this problem all the time when ripping disks with hdloader; too many characters, colons, etc. All of my problems stopped when I got my usb-ide kit and started ripping with winhiip. Good luck.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I bought one of those today. My pc is out for warranty repair though so I am going to try and see if I can do it on a Mac. Doubt it, so I figure I will probably trying to fix my bootcamp winxp install instead.

the mc version of hd loader didnt work for me either and when I tried to burn the cdr version on the Mac it crashed the program ( the only free program that can burn .bin .cue ) my current laser probably wont read cdr anyway....So I guess I am going to try and find a tiny USB drive that doesn't stick out too far for cheap.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WInhiip will be right at home with xp. If you run it on Vista or higher, you need to set it to run as admin on xp sp3 compatibility. I've never found anything similar that'll work on an Intel mac; just some abandoned projects on ppc based.

Does gow2 not work on opl? It's compatibility is supposed to be better than hdloader which is why it was replaced with opl on the noobie package.

Avery Singh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WInhiip will be right at home with xp. If you run it on Vista or higher, you need to set it to run as admin on xp sp3 compatibility. I've never found anything similar that'll work on an Intel mac; just some abandoned projects on ppc based.

Does gow2 not work on opl? It's compatibility is supposed to be better than hdloader which is why it was replaced with opl on the noobie package.
OPL can pretty much run any games now being at version 0.9, Dual layer discs are also accepted and as previously stated, Winhiip or XDUMP (With XDumb) or if you wanna just go external go with usb util 2.0

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OPL can pretty much run any games now being at version 0.9, Dual layer discs are also accepted and as previously stated, Winhiip or XDUMP (With XDumb) or if you wanna just go external go with usb util 2.0
Actually, xdumb and xdump are essentially the same type of client side file transferring app/program. You'd need to use either or in conjunction with hdl_svr.elf (server side app) on your PS2.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a new laser for about $10 and now the ps2 is reading my esr backups fine (glad I didn't toss them when they wouldn't work originally)

I got hdloader working from the USB with a shortcut to launch it, seems to work fine.

I want to try opl too, is there a good guide for that somewhere? since the PS2 doesn't have wifi it may not be the best solution. I think I can connect it a laptop though right? What about connecting to a ps3 or something (mine is not modded). My router is not close by the ps2 so what options are there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1