Suggestion Increasing the quality of posts on the temp

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Following on from @Vulpes Abnocto's state of the temp thread, I've had a few ideas about how to increase the quality of postings here. These are just suggestions so anybody is of course free to disagree.
  1. Replace post count with 'like ratio'. This would divide the number of likes by the number of posts to give a score for the user. This would encourage users to make quality posts which garner likes in order to increase their like ratio rather than shitposting to increase their post count
  2. Prevent users with fewer than 100 posts from posting in the tutorials forums. I for one get fed up seeing people post questions there
  3. Remove the 'ask' feature. The postings here seem to be repetitive and of low quality. I'm not sure why this is, but I wonder if it's because some users see the 'ask' button and click it straight away without looking at the forums.
  4. Moderate the EOF. I realise that th EOF is designed to be open for any discussion, but I think it encourages shitposting which inevitably spills over to the main forums. It's a bit like a rowdy bar where people fall out into the street and keep being rowdy even though they're not in the bar any more...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) it will never work as the issues were already discussed but also some users were "like spamming" is something I like to call it where they like any post a certain member makes, thats why a few people have 3 or 4 times as many likes compared to post count. To be honest I rather get rid of the like system as it does nothing but reward users for shit posting, maybe replace it with the thumbs up/thumbs down system?

D

Deleted User

1) it will never work as the issues were already discussed but also some users were "like spamming" is something I like to call it where they like any post a certain member makes, thats why a few people have 3 or 4 times as many likes compared to post count. To be honest I rather get rid of the like system as it does nothing but reward users for shit posting, maybe replace it with the thumbs up/thumbs down system?
Been looking around and it seems nobody's made an upvote/downvote extension for XenForo yet.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But wouldn't that be the exact same thing except with a like/dislike system?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That would still end up being the same issue and there was talk of a "Dislike" button. But was quickly shot down due to fear of it being abused to bully other members.
I mean, you see how quickly the Temp jumps on someone for having an unpopular opinion, think about that, but being able to dislike their posts. It would just create a hostile environment.

But I am going to give a huge +1 to removing the Ask section. It's just not useful, it's become just as bad as Yahoo ask and isn't providing any real information.

Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But Yahoo Ask is actually kinda entertaining sometimes. Ask GBATemp is pretty much always boring.
There's actual effort to troll in Yahoo ask.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Following on from @Vulpes Abnocto's state of the temp thread, I've had a few ideas about how to increase the quality of postings here. These are just suggestions so anybody is of course free to disagree.
  1. Replace post count with 'like ratio'. This would divide the number of likes by the number of posts to give a score for the user. This would encourage users to make quality posts which garner likes in order to increase their like ratio rather than shitposting to increase their post count
  2. Prevent users with fewer than 100 posts from posting in the tutorials forums. I for one get fed up seeing people post questions there
  3. Remove the 'ask' feature. The postings here seem to be repetitive and of low quality. I'm not sure why this is, but I wonder if it's because some users see the 'ask' button and click it straight away without looking at the forums.
  4. Moderate the EOF. I realise that th EOF is designed to be open for any discussion, but I think it encourages shitposting which inevitably spills over to the main forums. It's a bit like a rowdy bar where people fall out into the street and keep being rowdy even though they're not in the bar any more...
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Revive it.
4. No Comment.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
1.) You can't operate under the assumption that people give likes to quality, useful posts because on average, dumb shitposts in the EOF get more likes than good helpful posts. That whole group of EOF shitposters would have a higher like ratio than most good members. And some members who have done nothing wrong will be regarded as inferior because they were around before the like spammers came and completely destroyed the system.

2.) Yeah newcomers probably shouldn't be able to post tutorials, that's fine.

3.) The recent spam means nothing since the regular forums get spammed too. I don't see the problem with the ask section as most questions get answered and it at least tanks some of the useless questions asked on the forums. It's kind of meant for "low quality" posts.

4.) I agree that the EOF is just an unfunny cesspool of shit but it's already moderated so I see no issue.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
1.) You can't operate under the assumption that people give likes to quality, useful posts because on average, dumb shitposts in the EOF get more likes than good helpful posts. That whole group of EOF shitposters would have a higher like ratio than most good members. And some members who have done nothing wrong will be regarded as inferior because they were around before the like spammers came and completely destroyed the system.
It's not my fault if everyone like my posts :(

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am going to be that guy who is a naysayer based on experience.

I used to be moderator to global mod to administrator for quite some time on a fairly popular niche forum. It had been around for a good number of years (still is), and my goal when being promoted to admin was to improve the terrible posts that kept erupting in every section. To make it short, nothing really worked. Gbatemp is in the same boat, probably has been for a while. You just have to deal with it. Your efforts exerted on others will do nothing.

Instead, focus on yourself. Continue being a great poster, and watch your behaviour when it comes to reacting to negative posts, don't let your instinct be the first thing you post. Others will take notice, they might not say anything but they do notice, and will sometimes start repeating your positive attitude.

Tl;Dr: It's up to you as an individual to affect the general population of Gbatemp with your positive behaviour, and it'll hopefully infect others. Don't try to directly affect others into positivity.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Cool ideas!

But I actually think the temp should just keep going. Without any changes. If you are getting tired of the mess in here, do like me. Take some rest from gbatemp and everything will be perfectly fine again :)

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Try not to do that as it probably only entices the spammer. To well, spam more.
I try. But this one was making fun of the temp and called us -Insert Really Bad And Stereotypical Word For Gay- and little -Insert Slang Term For Poop- and finally attention -Insert Sexually Explicit Word For Person Wanting A Lot Of Sex-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1