Hacking Question In terms of security, is the Switch more 3DS-like or more PS4/Vita-like?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What I mean is if the Switch is designed like a 3DS (or a Wii U) where you can exploit it on a low firmware, install stuff like A9LH or run an emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and play all games without issue

OR

if the Switch is like a PS Vita (or PS4) where there is an exploit on a low firmware but no emuNAND or A9LH sort of stuff is possible and where new games won’t work because they are signed for a newer firmware.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
as of right now it seems to be like ps vita... people are talking about how certain games are going to require 3.01 fw so it's most likely like vita...
???
Some (newer) 3DS games also require a higher firmware to be played (unless you use hax) , just like some PS4 games and Wii U games...
So...

I say it´s more like the PS4/Vita or somewhere in between the vita and the 3DS (in terms of security)
Also E-fuses

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
???
Some (newer) 3DS games also require a higher firmware to be played (unless you use hax) , just like some PS4 games and Wii U games...
So...

I say it´s more like the PS4/Vita or somewhere in between the vita and the 3DS (in terms of security)
yeah but with the 3ds has a bootrom exploit so you can update and keep your cfw

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Red/EmuNAND is not possible on Switch because it will still burn the necessary efuses for the FW in Red/EmuNAND, so when you try to go to SysNAND and it's FW is lower than the FW in Red/EmuNAND the system will see more efuses burnt than it's FW requires, think that it has been downgraded, panic and won't boot up at all

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Red/EmuNAND is not possible on Switch because it will still burn the necessary efuses for the FW in Red/EmuNAND, so when you try to go to SysNAND and it's FW is lower than the FW in Red/EmuNAND the system will see more efuses burnt than it's FW requires, think that it has been downgraded, panic and won't boot up at all
Partially True....
When the first Kexploits are avaible and there is a way to dump the decrypted FW (like on the 3DS),there could be a way to patch out efuses....(the EmuNand does start without burning Efuses....)

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Partially True....
When the first Kexploits are avaible and there is a way to dump the decrypted FW (like on the 3DS),there could be a way to patch out efuses....(the EmuNand does start without burning Efuses....)
To do that you must need a bug on the programmation of the efuses and modify it to disable the efuses entirely (Note: This doesn't mean that there isn't one or two bugs on there)

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Could it be possible to "trick" the Sysnand into "understanding" there are enough efuses so that the burns won´t matter??

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Could it be possible to "trick" the Sysnand into "understanding" there are enough efuses so that the burns won´t matter??
You would need either:

a)A CFW that disables/modifies the efuses behavior or makes the system ignore them, but having that will make EmuNAND a bit useless

b)A homebrew app that disables/modifies the efuses behavior, but that would require a bug in the efuses programmation or high-level permissions wich we currently don't have

Last edited by AxlSt00pid, , Reason: Grammar

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You would need either:

a)A CFW that disables/modifies the efuses behavior or makes the system ignore them, but having that will make EmuNAND a bit useless

b)A homebrew app that disables/modifies the efuses behavior, but that would require a bug in the efuses programmation or high-level permissions wich we currently don't have

Thanks for the quick answer! So this eventual bug in the efuses programation (or high level permissions wich sould really hard to get) is THE KEY to allow us to play backups of future games (over 3.0 firmware). I´m sure all hackers are focusing on this

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I personally believe that the Switch in terms of security is a hybrid of the 3DS & PS Vita. But that is just my opinion. I dont now if the X1 or PS4 have fuses which is why i wont compare the switch security to those two machines.

cualquiercosa327

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,i dont understand why people doesnt let to open threads on question as that than has no answer today:
it is something than only time will show.
About what we have now is than they are a userland exploit for a fimware version (3.0.0) and above (which will no be investigated according the hackers than found it):they only focus on 3.0.0 .
it is true than it has been fast (only a few moths about console release) but we are talking on a userland exploit no kernel.

Until now these is the only info we have about Switch.
will be the new fw exploitable?Maybe,but almost the group than found the first exploit are no going to investigate them and focus only on what they found.what will happen is something none knows.
You can no know about how holes it has only compare what happen with 3DS or Wii U (But almost until now it seems than Sony has been more carefull with the security of their machines than Nintendo ,almost on the past..)

About other consoles : probably the most secure device until now is psvita.There were lots of investigation,also they had to create founding for investigate it and use new techniques/devices for it.read on Yi fan Lu web ).And they only found a user exploit based on a error on an app : PSN/PSN Unity APP which were too limited and finaly they found a hole on a specific fimware which lead to Henkaku.But the system is so secure than only works on this fimware.
it seems Sony did a great job with this machine.(I wish they have dedicate more time and effort to create great games for it..)

PS4? if you read wololo forums (or yi fan lu web) you will discover than it is totally insecure if you comparate it with vita and ps3 (yes,ps3 had a huge mistake but it was very secure anyway).
In fact there are lots of kernel exploits than has no been released ,which included one for the latest fimware 5.0.0 (but they have existed and now it seem will be released one for 4.05 and below .Also was one for 1.X).

XBox?it is dificult know because ,almost there are no many public info about its investigations.Maybe there are no many hackers interesting on it (Most of this games are on PC,and the machine has no been very succesfull )

The same happen with the emulation : there are some machines more dificult to emulate (an example is ps2 and ps3,which most people said than it will be imposible until a long time,but there are a lot of skilled developers than show it is posible and it is in an advanced state comparing with the others.Others as Xbox (the first) which hardware is very similar to an older pc and there were some emulator without many advance (the most promissing is XQemu but if we comparate it with ps3 emu we can see it is on its early stages)

In summary : only the time and interest of hackes will answer this kind of questions.Until them forget about it and enjoy this great machine.

(In my case i have lots of games i wanna finish which will make i dont update until i finish them and i wanna more games .I know Mario Odissey seem amazing,but i have no enought time to play it (nor money for so many games): i prefer enjoy what i have and time will said.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick answer! So this eventual bug in the efuses programation (or high level permissions wich sould really hard to get) is THE KEY to allow us to play backups of future games (over 3.0 firmware). I´m sure all hackers are focusing on this
I don't think any of the real hackers care about piracy.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Doesn't the PS4 use a system like this? I know they have a method to prevent downgrading (not only just the "You can't install this firmware." text, even if you bypass that).

Last edited by Zero72463,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You would need either:

EmuNAND would still be useful as without it you wouldn't be able to update without losing exploit access, at least not until there's a bootrom exploit.
Actually, relying on a CFW to patch out efuse checks seems dangerous, what if Nintendo sneakily adds more checks in an update and the CFW doesn't patch them out, it would result in a lot of bricks. Or if the CFW is buggy and the patches fail for whatever reason.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eFuses takes notes from the 360, the actual userland stuff is probably similar to 3DS/Wii U but that's only my guess. I'd expect a permanent CFW to require some sort of hardware modification unless there's a really, really big flaw in how the updates work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
    Veho @ Veho: Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages...