Hardware If I get a European 3DS Charger, will it work with my American 3DS?

European Charger or Volt Converter?

• Total voters

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will work with your 3DS, but not American plugs. I voted volt converter because I doubt your 3DS is the only thing you'll want to charge (phone?), so it'll be more useful.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also,
1bpm9f.jpg

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
The only difference between systems is the firmware it's running; they can use cross-region plugs. You just need to find a way to plug in an out of region charger.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
good advice for everything: look on the plug/adaptor. it will say if it supported 100-110v or 220-240v. 50hz or 60hz.
that will show you if the charger/electronics will work fine in your country.

as for the 3ds, they are all the same lol

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm traveling to a country that uses 220 Volts, unlike the 120 volts in America. Do I need to get a European 3DS charger in order to charge my American 3DS, or am I stuck with a Volt Converter?
get a usb cable (nintendo will officially realease one later, so you know there is no issue with using cables made by 3rd parties)
so you can use your phone charger.. or usb port..

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds-official-usb-charger-coming-this-september.439506/

anyway. if you want to know if some charger will work, look at the sticker or specs molded in the plastic
europe uses 220-240V
while america uses 110V
(check the internet to know more which countries use which voltage and frenquencies)

the European 3ds charger i own, (the official one) says on the sticker "220-240v with a frequency of 50/60 hertz"

so this charger is not compatible with the american system. if i would simply get an adapter it would either not work or ruin this charger... i don't know what exactly would happen since i never tried it.. but you require some volt changer or some appropriate charger

PS: make sure your phone charger and other electronics are compatible with the european voltage
i would suggest to get the usb cable for the 3ds.. so instead of several chargers you use several cables and 1 charger (that charger can have several ports of course if you want that)

Last edited by migles,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
just buy 30 3ds batteries, charge them all up while in America then you can just use them as required........what? that's a dumb idea? Yeah I know I just wanted a different solution :'(

but yeah I would say a usb charger could be the most practical solution and will still be useful when you go home

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm voting for volt converter (tension converter) because it will let you use any other charger that you have that may work only at 110 Volts in Europe.
But if all of your other chargers are actually "bivolt" (supporting from 100 V to 240 V) buying a euro 3DS charger may be actually cheaper (and I think that some of them may be actually bivolt instead of being locked to 220~240V).

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Both will work. But the voltage converter is big and cumbersome.
As many have said, better use an USB to 3DS cable and your phone charger.
I've been using that across countries for the last 5 years and it works like a charm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: All our girls are tested and cleaned. Crap we mixed up results