Hardware I want to buy a gaming PC. Sounds simple enough :/

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DVD drives are only noisy if they have a disc inside. To make it quiet, take out the disc.

People still build computers with DVD drives? Aren't those kind of useless nowadays due to digital distribution? You can even install the OS off a USB flash drive. Save yourself $20 and don't get a DVD drive.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DVD drives are only noisy if they have a disc inside. To make it quiet, take out the disc.
When you boot your computer (during POST), these Lite-On drives make quite a noise.

People still build computers with DVD drives? Aren't those kind of useless nowadays due to digital distribution? You can even install the OS off a USB flash drive. Save yourself $20 and don't get a DVD drive.

OS isn't the only thing that makes use of DVD.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you are slowly killing your PC. Problem with RAIDMAX is that its PSU have problems with ripple control. Ripples are unwanted variation in DC power, and are one of the enemy in electronic components. RAIDMAX does not comfort to ATX specification regarding ripple (exceeding 120mV on +12V rail).

It will be in your best interest to replace that POS ASAP, rather than vouch for it.

730 W is indeed overkill. I recently posted a screenshot showing that 3770K + HD7870 only consumed 267 W at stress. Although I agree with Originality, that PSU probably can't deliver 730 W anyway.

And no, when you are using decent CPU and GPU, you want a good case. Crappy case will trap air, and in return traps heat. If you are on serious budget Rosewill Challenger or NZXT 210 are much better than that TOPOWER case. As for DVD drive, it'll be really noise each time you turn on the computer.

You're seriously over exaggerating things here.

Not only that but this thread is getting off topic.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're seriously over exaggerating things here.

Not only that but this thread is getting off topic.
Nope, I'm tell the truth. That PSU is manufactured by Andyson using Andyson-B series design, which is a cut down on already crappy F-series. Plus have you seen the wattage rating at all? Two +12V rails rated at 24 A each. Which means this is really just a 2 x 288 W PSU. Depending on how it splits those rails, you may be able to use 576 W for both CPU and GPU, or 288 W for both of them. Modern computer hardly uses +3.3 and +5.0 V.

Corsair CX500, Rosewill Green 430 & 530 W, and Antec EarthWatts are all great and reliable budget PSUs.

@OP
I believe you asked me what DRM is, DRM is digital rights management. Stuff like always-on internet connection, registration counter, internet login for single player games, etc are all forms of DRM. You see these on tons of PC games (as a form of anti-piracy). Console games generally don't have these nonsense.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Thank you guys for all of the help and I have now decided to definitely get a PC. Just to clear up my thoughts- I am the sort of guy who buys a cheap car as long as it gets me from a to b, the buy who buy android over ios for the price difference (and obvious advantages), the guy who buys cheap clothes that mean something to me/express my personality rather than designer clothes, the guy who buys a PC that is capable of entertaining me above all things; performance, superiority, wealth statement etc. Don't get me wrong, if I was rich I would get a supercomputer too (would be at the bottom of my list but still :P).

I will hold off from getting a new console. The very first model of new generation consoles always seem to have some kind of problem with them. At least with a PC I can be sure of what I get and I have more control over reliability moreover it is unlikely that all parts I buy break down at once and they usually have warranties. New consoles also have rubbish titles to begin with or the hyped titles are fails. So I will sit on the fence with my new gaming PC and watch he console wars as I fight my own wars on cod lol.

Now all I need to do is buy the PC. So guys, what is the best rig to get with my budget ~£600? I will certainly review the mentioned setups but taking into consideration what I have just said what would be the best choice?

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys for all of the help and I have now decided to definitely get a PC. Just to clear up my thoughts- I am the sort of guy who buys a cheap car as long as it gets me from a to b, the buy who buy android over ios for the price difference (and obvious advantages), the guy who buys cheap clothes that mean something to me/express my personality rather than designer clothes, the guy who buys a PC that is capable of entertaining me above all things; performance, superiority, wealth statement etc. Don't get me wrong, if I was rich I would get a supercomputer too (would be at the bottom of my list but still :P).

I will hold off from getting a new console. The very first model of new generation consoles always seem to have some kind of problem with them. At least with a PC I can be sure of what I get and I have more control over reliability moreover it is unlikely that all parts I buy break down at once and they usually have warranties. New consoles also have rubbish titles to begin with or the hyped titles are fails. So I will sit on the fence with my new gaming PC and watch he console wars as I fight my own wars on cod lol.

Now all I need to do is buy the PC. So guys, what is the best rig to get with my budget ~£600? I will certainly review the mentioned setups but taking into consideration what I have just said what would be the best choice?

If you are not building it yourself try going to a site where you can spec a PC yourself and have them build it for you. The PC market in the UK is very competitive price-wise ATM and you wouldn't save much at the price you are looking at as a self-build.

As I live in the UK as well, Computerplanet have a good name for themselves and if you follow the link they have a wide variety of component options available in their configurator below. At least it will give you an idea of roughly what to expect from the price you are prepared to pay if nothing else.

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/index.html

If you are going to be using it mainly for gaming, consider the GPU and a reliable and powerful enough PSU your main priority. Also not forgetting to factor in the price a of a monitor and OS.

I would (with your budget) go for something like this :-

Cooler Master Elite 430 Case (good value, fairly well built and looks like a proper gaming case)
AMD A8 5600K Black Edition X4 (4 x 3.6 GHz) (fast and cheap)
AMD Heatsink & Fan (works well enough (like Intel stock coolers) if you don't overclock and keep the case fans and vents clean)
Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1 GB (enough for about 80 fps in Modern Warfare 3 @ 1080p 4XAA all settings maxed out)
Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 (AMD A55) Motherboard
Corsair 650W PSU (in case you want a more powerful GPU later)
320 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM
24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader (SATA)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
1080p 21.5" widescreen monitor 5ms

About £625 to £635 built and delivered for a complete system.

Rydian or Originality could help you a lot more than me, though.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you check the build I posted?

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without peripherals, this'll run most games on high-max:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£144.00 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£69.83 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£56.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£215.95 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£34.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £632.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 21:56 BST+0100)

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without peripherals, this'll run most games on high-max:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£144.00 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£69.83 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£56.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£215.95 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£34.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £632.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 21:56 BST+0100)
Thats nice for the price but overpowered for what he said he wants to use the computer for. I was going to suggest something similar but factor in a monitor and windows 7 if he doesn't have them and you are looking at £170 more than he pointed out that he wanted to pay.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to go the budget route, try this:

CPU/GPU: AMD A10 6800K $170 << Overclock this component as much as possible; make sure to overvolt for maximum overlclock
Cooler: Corsair H60 liquid cooler $80 << This will keep the overclocked CPU running cool
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 $125
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600 2 x 4GB $80
Storage: WB Blue 1TB $70
Power: Antec Basiq 430W $50
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 $50

Total: $625

An overclocked A10 can easily be more powerful than a mid-range dedicated GPU.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanatos Telos, that partpicker website you left the link to is useful. Where did you find that if you don't mind me asking ?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
An overclocked A10 can easily be more powerful than a mid-range dedicated GPU.
APU may beat HD7750 or even HD7770 if overclocked the hell out of it but that's it. I stress the word may because it needs to be paired with high speed RAM, and 1600 is hardly enough for APU. Honestly, you won't have much luck overclocking CPU and GPU portion on APU at the same time. If you overclock a lot on GPU, compromise needs to be made on CPU portion (but then CPU slows GPU down), vice versa.

HD7800 is considered mid range and APU ain't going to beat it, even if you overclock the hell out of it.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanatos Telos, that partpicker website you left the link to is useful. Where did you find that if you don't mind me asking ?

It's what most PC forums use nowadays to find deals and list parts.

APU may beat HD7750 or even HD7770 if overclocked the hell out of it but that's it. I stress the word may because it needs to be paired with high speed RAM, and 1600 is hardly enough for APU. Honestly, you won't have much luck overclocking CPU and GPU portion on APU at the same time. If you overclock a lot on GPU, compromise needs to be made on CPU portion (but then CPU slows GPU down), vice versa.

HD7800 is considered mid range and APU ain't going to beat it, even if you overclock the hell out of it.

Hell would be more of the key word. When you're OCing that much (On GPU and CPU), you might have to disable cores.

Also, Kirito-kun Over volting generates more heat and decreases longevity. In addition, the H50 is a pretty weak cooler that performs on par with the EVO, in addition to the added risk of the thing leaking. If you want to watercool, the H100i is the minimum for noticing a difference. (And the difference is about 4 degrees unless you use liquid nitrogen and a custom loop.)

Reactions: ILuvGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AcuteBulbasaurappears, A cute bulbasaur appears. :D
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The Wii U gamepads are tied to the console's region, so its impossible to find a cheap gamepad that supports your model.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Unless you modify your system, of course, and remove the region check.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, im now by episode 8 of lain
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty can we discuss chrono trigger
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I like how the game had the middle ages 1000AD, the dark ages 600AD.It was great seeing the post robot apocalypse 2300 like Terminator and enter the matrix. some of mad max and fallout. 2300ad though it could had used more elements instead of just a generic ai uprising. It was a great idea for their judgement day to be 1999 Y2K.

-great additions if they would have made an expansion or dlc in my opinion would be finding out humans trapped in a matrix -

a follower having a cyborg character living tissue over metal endoskelleton like terminator, and the synths from fallout
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    4After Zeal fell it would have been good to see more ancient eras. Perhaps Sumeria based in one area, then Egypt based in another area, Greek based in another area, then roman based in another area before the middle ages.---------

----between 1000ad and 1999 is a big gap they should have had the age of revolution like the american and French Revolution

then the cowboyy era in one area of map and the Industrial revolution/age of enlightmentthen a ww1 and ww2 and a cold war era
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could have added 75,000 bc like assassins creed. zeal was already establish in 12, 000 bc , soething before the kindom rose
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty they could also add age of dscover, colonialism ect
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    renaissance
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty what did you think
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I think glenn (the frog) after becomming human had an affair with the queen
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so he is the great great great great grandfather of marle @Xdqwerty
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they made it like Lancelot from king arthur legends
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    just found out i'm now taller than my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, sorry i was busy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty thats completely fine
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: