Video chat programs that work between phones and PC and only want email to sign up.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it seems Skype is determined to kill itself and no longer an option for various people (I have not liked it for many years now but could at least get it working for one to one video calls, the phone side of things people tell me is worse than ever). I would however like to video chat between a PC and a phone, and just want to be able to sign up to it with an email address.
Whatsapp crashed every 5 minutes for me and not even visibly (restarted phone and what looked like a working thing suddenly gained messages I could have really done with having soon after they were sent), wants a phone number and only is going to do anything via emulation on a PC.
Telegram was promising but needed a phone number. Might see if I can get a burner set up for it if I have to but eh.
Discord I am hoping dies so not helping it by being a user.
Same for Facebook.
Viber has not been relevant in 10 years and also wanted phone and only worked in an emulator.
Haven't tried teamviewer yet and might actually be an option in this -- I normally just control and have voice on it rather than conference).

I don't need anything fancy. Just something that works between android phones and PC (can even be a Windows one) with some video options somewhere in the region of 10 frames a second and 2000s webcam quality for a one on one chat, something I can sign up for with a nice email address. Open source and able to run my own servers would be nice but that is fantasy land at this point.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So it seems Skype is determined to kill itself and no longer an option for various people (I have not liked it for many years now but could at least get it working for one to one video calls, the phone side of things people tell me is worse than ever). I would however like to video chat between a PC and a phone, and just want to be able to sign up to it with an email address.
Whatsapp crashed every 5 minutes for me and not even visibly (restarted phone and what looked like a working thing suddenly gained messages I could have really done with having soon after they were sent), wants a phone number and only is going to do anything via emulation on a PC.
Telegram was promising but needed a phone number. Might see if I can get a burner set up for it if I have to but eh.
Discord I am hoping dies so not helping it by being a user.
Same for Facebook.
Viber has not been relevant in 10 years and also wanted phone and only worked in an emulator.
Haven't tried teamviewer yet and might actually be an option in this -- I normally just control and have voice on it rather than conference).

I don't need anything fancy. Just something that works between android phones and PC (can even be a Windows one) with some video options somewhere in the region of 10 frames a second and 2000s webcam quality for a one on one chat, something I can sign up for with a nice email address. Open source and able to run my own servers would be nice but that is fantasy land at this point.
If you just want video chat, there are many options.
I used VSee in the past, when I wanted to video chat with a friend that had a very slow connection. Most video chat programs were just not usable on a connection that slow. Worked pretty well for me. VSee's standout feature is the low bandwidth usage. But of course, it can work well if you have a fast connection too.
ooVoo was another I looked at, but never actually tried out.
I'm not positive if ooVoo has a mobile app (I would assume so), but VSee absolutely does, as my friend was using it on his phone.

I'm genuinely surprised Skype still exists. Considering how quickly Microsoft killed off Windows Live Messenger, and I haven't heard anybody mentioning Skype in at least 6-7 years, much less anybody actually still using it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO