Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
mysticwaterfall said:
I don't get why your so obsessed with headtracking. The games aren't going to get magically better just because they have it.
The same goes for 3D.

And headtracking was just an example. There's also the tilt sensor, holding the console sideways, and getting too frisky with the touch screen.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
mysticwaterfall said:
I don't get why your so obsessed with headtracking. The games aren't going to get (")magically(")better just because they have it.
The same goes for 3D.
I disagree. I believe the depth and pop out can do so to games.

Disregarding some other stuff, I'll focus on the motion,touch screen and headtracking.

3D doesn't stop all movement of motion control.

Touch screen add a lot of options, i.e less stuff on the game screen.

Why can't we have any form of headtracking with 3D?

Where the proof that it can't?

Only like one game had it anyway...

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
KingVamp said:
Why can we have headtracking with 3D?

Where the proof that it can't?
I'll go ahead and assume that can is a can't.

The 3D effect vanishes completely with a slight variation of the angle of sight, the whole point of head tracking is moving your head and the system recognizing the movements. Since you can't really move while using 3D, head tracking and 3D at the same time is a nope.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
Using OLED technology instead of LEDs and LCDs would decrease battery consumption (since they don't require backlighting), but costs to manufacture those special screens is much more than manufacturing LEDs and LCDs
I might be wrong, but nowadays more and more mobile phones use OLED/AMOLED screens, while 3D displays are still pretty uncommon. Therefore I assumed it would be cheaper to buy screens that are mass-produced in comparison to a rare, parallax-barrier one...

QUOTE(DiscostewSM @ Sep 21 2011, 06:00 PM) The removal of the 3D effect does not magically add power to the 2D mode, making some sort of difference in comparison to the current 2D mode when the 3D effect is turned off, nor does it affect the game assets that developers generate for their games.
Again, I might be wrong, but I could imagine a situation when game developer chooses to use low-resolution textures/models in order to achieve 30 FPS in 3D mode, and then does not bother to bring back the full quality in the 2D mode.

A side note: if the 3D screen is so cheap as someone writes, I wonder why didn't they go for the 800x480 one ? I guess Pica200 was to weak to generate graphics for it...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
yuyuyup said:
You can twist the system significantly (like a steering wheel) without distorting the 3D effect.
And yet you can't play Super Monkey Ball 3D without breaking the 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I like 3D, I just don't like the current level of tech and its limitations.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
imho, Fire Red 3DS just got launched (I saw videos of it on youtube already) so I doubt they'd rush out a new console right now.

However I would assume that they'd come out with a dual analog version of this within a year after release of maybe the first 3DS or the red one. It's just a big old money game by Nintendo is all.

I think we've already learned that they do big revisions to all of their handhelds (well I guess except for the gameboy color) and it is mainly to generate more revenue and try to interest more people in new hardware and games.

The addon for the dual analog is too big and looks like a flop but if there's enough games that support it, it should take off steadily and then they will release a new console so that it will be all in one (and also not look butt ugly like it does in current state with that device plugged in)

imho I like the blue console and the red one (some prefer the cosmos black too of course and I'm not discrediting that, it looks fine) and I think people complain too much about the aesthetic of the current system out now. when I saw the blue one in videos online before launch, I was very much sold. It is a beautiful console and what more could I want.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
QUOTE said:
A side note: if the 3D screen is so cheap as someone writes, I wonder why didn't they go for the 800x480 one ? I guess Pica200 was to weak to generate graphics for it...
it has got nothing to do with pica200 actually.

Go and have a look at LG Optimus 3D and you'll know why.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
DiscostewSM said:
You mean 1600x480 right? Anyway, 4x the resolution would require a significant boost in hardware performance and the resulting cpu/gpu price increase and decrease in battery life is not something Nintendo would go for.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
mysticwaterfall said:
I don't get why your so obsessed with headtracking. The games aren't going to get magically better just because they have it.
The same goes for 3D.

And headtracking was just an example. There's also the tilt sensor, holding the console sideways, and getting too frisky with the touch screen.

Of all the examples you could focus on though, why head tracking? Even if the 3D does nothing but make games look cool, it's served a purpose. I don't see a purpose to head tracking as the 3DS is now.

As for the tilt sensor, I would agree that it would be nice have 3D and tilt, but right now tilt is too imprecise to be much more of a bad gimmick. Of all the portable tilt games there have been in the past, I think the only good ones so far have been Warioware Twisted and Kirby Tilt and Tumble (even though Kirby still had problems in places)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
DiscostewSM said:
Using OLED technology instead of LEDs and LCDs would decrease battery consumption (since they don't require backlighting), but costs to manufacture those special screens is much more than manufacturing LEDs and LCDs
I might be wrong, but nowadays more and more mobile phones use OLED/AMOLED screens, while 3D displays are still pretty uncommon. Therefore I assumed it would be cheaper to buy screens that are mass-produced in comparison to a rare, parallax-barrier one...

Guess it would depend. Mass production of an item would make that particular item cheaper to produce in the long run, whether that be an OLED screen or a 3D screen. Even if an item is used in a lot of different devices, only a certain amount can be made at one time, and that's when supply and demand comes into effect with competition of buyers for the same item.

pachura said:
DiscostewSM said:
The removal of the 3D effect does not magically add power to the 2D mode, making some sort of difference in comparison to the current 2D mode when the 3D effect is turned off, nor does it affect the game assets that developers generate for their games.
Again, I might be wrong, but I could imagine a situation when game developer chooses to use low-resolution textures/models in order to achieve 30 FPS in 3D mode, and then does not bother to bring back the full quality in the 2D mode.

Well, if they are using low-res textures/models and are only getting 30 FPS in 3D mode, they would approximately reach 60 FPS while in 2D mode using those same assets, as all the 3D mode consists of is an additional render of the same scene at a slightly different angle. If they didn't care to use 3D at all (which Nintendo has been allowing), they could lock out the use of 3D, skip dealing with the limitations 3D mode brings, and base everything they make with just the 2D mode.

QUOTE(pachura @ Sep 21 2011, 01:25 PM)

I assume you mean 800x480 for each eye. An increase from 400x240 to 800x480 while maintaining the current GPU capabilities would require the GPU to have quadruple the fillrate that it has now, plus some other stuff to match that. It's quite a leap in the difference of processing power.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, They'd need that extra slide pad peripheral to sink in with sales before they even announce a revision. They don't want people throwing back their 3DSes to gamestop for a trade in.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
mysticwaterfall said:
Of all the examples you could focus on though, why head tracking? Even if the 3D does nothing but make games look cool, it's served a purpose. I don't see a purpose to head tracking as the 3DS is now.
It was just an example of a control scheme that would take your head out of the sweet spot and break the 3D. Maybe not the best example. Let's pretend I said tilt sensor.

yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
yuyuyup said:
You can twist the system significantly (like a steering wheel) without distorting the 3D effect.
And yet you can't play Super Monkey Ball 3D without breaking the 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I like 3D, I just don't like the current level of tech and its limitations.
Monkey Ball motion control would require tilting that would destroy the 3D effect, but wheel steering is still an option

Klightx15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am i the only one that used the thumb strap that came with the first ds to play metroid prime hunters? the thumb strap made it NO problem to play the game and it didnt feel too bad either. i dont see why they dont just go this route.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Klightx15 said:
am i the only one that used the thumb strap that came with the first ds to play metroid prime hunters? the thumb strap made it NO problem to play the game and it didnt feel too bad either. i dont see why they dont just go this route.

I actually much prefer it to the use of a second analog for camera control. But the second analog was, in all likelihood, a sweetener to get CAPCOM fully onboard w/ Monster Hunter 4. (Since MH fans*--and there are millions of them Nintendo want to buy a 3DS over a PSV--want dual analog, not a thumb nub.)

*And devs, no doubt.

As for the new model question, you don't admit that you've put out too many h/w iterations of your previous product then turn around and, in under a year, put out another model. Not if you're halfway sane.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendo said that they made too many revisions of the DS and don't want to do that with the 3DS.
They also don't want people that have already bought the 3DS to not feel cheated in the future.
So this brings me to a thought that there will only be 2 versions of the 3DS,
The current and
Another released in japan on November 2012 AT THE EARLIEST, only new thing will be the Slider Pad built in.
So anyone who has a 3DS now can do everything the next 3DS can do.
People that are waiting for the next revision, well you have a looooooooooooong wait.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
FireGrey said:
Nintendo said that they made too many revisions of the DS and don't want to do that with the 3DS.
They also don't want people that have already bought the 3DS to not feel cheated in the future.
So this brings me to a thought that there will only be 2 versions of the 3DS,
The current and
Another released in japan on November 2012 AT THE EARLIEST, only new thing will be the Slider Pad built in.
So anyone who has a 3DS now can do everything the next 3DS can do.
People that are waiting for the next revision, well you have a looooooooooooong wait.

Can you give us a source of that? I haven't really played my 3DS as much as I should. I hope it be good couple years before the next revision.

I

ishdeepsingh

[NotGonnaHappen]Battery Problem Fix: Solar Panel on the Cover to charge while playing[/NotGunnaHappen]

yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Klightx15 said:
I used the stylus but I loved it for controlling the cam, double tap for jump, etc. Thanks for bumping my oldass topic (not sarcasm)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...