"I Quit! The dream is dead." Behind the screens of rage.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This page is simple, just name a time you remember when your things you cherised has just stopped working
Does Phil Fish count? I loved FEZ and I felt kinda sorry for him in Indie Game: The Movie. Then he was a dick and just stopped working (on FEZ 2) >.>

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a very valuable Amiga 1200 in a tower case with all the expansions you could install which just totally died one day. Nothing I did revived it and I lost thousands worth in hardware. Still makes me feel a bit sick thinking about it now.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I lost an SD card with Wii stuff on it after it got chewed up by my dog

640GB hard drive that fell down while it was running after i had installed all of my Wii games on it and mind you this was back when WBFS was the norm for USB Loaders out there

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had alot of controllers that kept falling off of pillars in my house and breaking.
I had so many games that I lost.
I had so much stuff on my sd card that has broken twice.
I had people who cared about me and are now all gone.....

PF2M

Ex-Miiverse Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this copy of SoulSilver that had Action Replay all over it. I put hundreds of hours into it, even after I beat the game. It was so much fun to mess with every code I could find, especially since I overused fun codes like Walk Through Walls. You could do so much: cheat in a Level 100 Shiny Mew, find some developer secrets by using Walk Through Walls to see unseeable areas, and do all of this while playing as a freaking DOOR. The fun ended eventually, though, because I lost my copy at some point.

I found it years later, stuck to the bottom of a cabinet. After using an X Acto Knife to get it out, I pop it into my DS to see if it still works. It took 20 boot attempts to load it properly, and moving it one inch would mess it up. Eventually I was able to trade some of my Pokemon over to my copy of Pokemon Platinum somehow, even if I could only get a few traded before it crashed again. I then decided to look through my boxes again for one last wave of nostalgia before putting it away, and then the game corrupted itself. I had almost every box full of great hacked pokemon, so much fun stuff, and it all went away just because I wanted to check it. My save died, and now I can't get the game to boot up at all, so it's useless. RIP my copy of SoulSilver that I had put 200+ hours into. :(

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Phil Fish count? I loved FEZ and I felt kinda sorry for him in Indie Game: The Movie. Then he was a dick and just stopped working (on FEZ 2) >.>

Well the dream is dead, so I suppose it works.

I remember having a sonic 3 genesis cartridge that never saved my games like it should. I had to keep the game on to continue until I finish the game. (Everyone knows what I'm talking about back in 1985 when games had no save and the idea was keeping the game on as long as possible until completed)

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a copy of Platinum that I used an AR a fuck ton of times on. It got to the point where I had Bulbasaurs in the encounter slots of Mt. Cornet when not using the AR. Eventually, my AR broke, and a while later, the ROM corrupted or something happened to the cart itself. Either way, the game doesn't boot correctly, and TWLSaveTool just freezes when opening it :(

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a copy of Platinum that I used an AR a fuck ton of times on. It got to the point where I had Bulbasaurs in the encounter slots of Mt. Cornet when not using the AR. Eventually, my AR broke, and a while later, the ROM corrupted or something happened to the cart itself. Either way, the game doesn't boot correctly, and TWLSaveTool just freezes when opening it :(
Ahaha, that reminds me of my AR fun in Diamond. I used Walk Through Walls a lot and ended up skipping the Cyrus event at the small ruins in the town to the right of Mt Cornet (forgotten the name since it's been so long). Anyway, although I could continue the game as normal, if I ever went into the ruins, the event would trigger and cause the game to freeze upon completion (of the event, not the game lol) :P

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well to be honest, using cheats on like any games corrupt save data most likey if used incorrectly.

I used to use stuff a lot, game genie, on SNES, game shark on PlayStation and game boy, I used it on my Megaman battle network for various chips, it didn't want to save the game, and when I booted the game I had no continue option. So save file is gone.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to be honest, using cheats on like any games corrupt save data most likey if used incorrectly.

I used to use stuff a lot, game genie, on SNES, game shark on PlayStation and game boy, I used it on my Megaman battle network for various chips, it didn't want to save the game, and when I booted the game I had no continue option. So save file is gone.
It corrupted the ROM itself though, the save was intact up until the cart died.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It corrupted the ROM itself though, the save was intact up until the cart died.

I dunno about cheat devices corrupting actual game data, from what I undefstand, the cartridges are read only memory inserted into the ram during play, the cheats store certain fixed data inside specified memory address in the ram, the save file is stored in a non read only storage inside the cart that is kept active by a battery back up (like the silver see through button in the pokemon sapphire and ruby GBA carts... Or is that the game clock)

You usually load the cheat device before the game so you can tell what address to change the valued to, then load the game and play to notice the desire effect. Is very basic modifications. Actual corruption of the game requires alter data on cart which cheats never do. Anyway sorry if it doesn't work. Did you try cleaning the contact connetors?

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
I dunno about cheat devices corrupting actual game data, from what I undefstand, the cartridges are read only memory inserted into the ram during play, the cheats store certain fixed data inside specified memory address in the ram, the save file is stored in a non read only storage inside the cart that is kept active by a battery back up (like the silver see through button in the pokemon sapphire and ruby GBA carts... Or is that the game clock)

You usually load the cheat device before the game so you can tell what address to change the valued to, then load the game and play to notice the desire effect. Is very basic modifications. Actual corruption of the game requires alter data on cart which cheats never do. Anyway sorry if it doesn't work. Did you try cleaning the contact connetors?
I don't think it's Read Only... How would saves work?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Powersaves corrupt the ROMs of carts as well btw (this is confirmed afaik too)

For simplicity sake, carts have a ROM section, for the games files, and a separate section for the save file (unless cart whatever saves). Datel has been known for their crappy cheat devices, which have a small chance of writing to the wrong area (ROM for example). Which even though it shouldn't work, can corrupt data. (don't ask me how, I just know it happens)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is saved seperatly on seperate part of the cart that is only accessed when the game is played. As far as I know.
Probably why games back in the day like new Zelda games had a battery to preserve save files. It could not keep the save alive unless it was just in the system, the battery supposedly kept the save even after power loss to system. Probably why when the battery dies the save format every time the system turn off, I remember having sonic 3 would never save the game like it suopposed to.

ElyosOfTheAbyss

Trophies
XP
Country
I had an AR DS and I went to use it, I had this case on so I had to hold it down but it never occurred to me I should take the case off. So I accidental let go BEFORE the game even got to the title screen and the ar never worked again...

RIP my AR, I enjoyed my 6 minutes with you

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost had my Minecraft account Hacked due to an illegal way to get MC Passwords, and forum account passwords threw a server, and forum.

Almost lost $300 USD on in game rank/mini game benifits. (Why $300? Notice how the best server ranks are always 100 dollars... Do the math.) played on Hypixel, Mineplex, and The Hive at the time :/.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For whatever the fuck reason there was one .app file that corrupted when I was making a backup of my O3DS' SD-Card.
I still haven't created a new island, led-alone reinstall Tomodachi Life.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an AR DS and I went to use it, I had this case on so I had to hold it down but it never occurred to me I should take the case off. So I accidental let go BEFORE the game even got to the title screen and the ar never worked again...

RIP my AR, I enjoyed my 6 minutes with you

6 minutes? oh gosh. That seem like a scam. Did you least get one cheat before the it decide to quit on you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You gotta work and earn it