I need help, I accidentally deleted the "Nintendo 3ds" folder on my 2ds while trying to homebrew it. Any solutions?

LinkingLink14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,

When I was trying to homebrew my Nintendo 2DS, I accidentally deleted the "Nintendo 3ds" folder, and now all my games, saves and everything is gone. I think i've also deleted some important files as well, so is there any solutions? (I've also tried Recuva to get my files back, but it didn't work.)

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

When I was trying to homebrew my Nintendo 2DS, I accidentally deleted the "Nintendo 3ds" folder, and now all my games, saves and everything is gone. I think i've also deleted some important files as well, so is there any solutions? (I've also tried Recuva to get my files back, but it didn't work.)
You’re SOL unless for some reason it’s in your systems recycle bin.

Why do you think you lost important files?

LinkingLink14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I went onto the 2ds, and it came up with this screen saying "An exception occurred" and a ton of numbers and stuff I don't know what it means.
1640226923352.jpeg

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a Nintendo 3ds SD card with the 3ds files on it work?
No, as it's not needed to boot to home menu, and it would just create a new one instead after that.
As for if you can restore the old one, you can go with some recovery program but it's not guaranteed to work. For your saves, if they weren’t backed up with Checkpoint there's really nothing to do.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are multiple file recovery methods you can try, but if you want to have any chance and hope to get the files back, you should absolutely NOT write any new files or make changes to the existing files, as that can overwrite the parts of the card where your files were stored, which are now marked as free space since you deleted those files. Might as well just use the write protect switch on the SD card while trying to recover files from it. Unfortunately you might already be past that point, since allowing the 3DS to boot up to the home menu with that SD card would already create some new files, and placing even a single new file on the card could destroy some of the deleted data.

Even then there's unfortunately not much guarantee that you can correctly recover all your save files, since the "Nintendo 3DS" folder is made up of a lot of files in specific folders that all usually have cryptic names, and even if you haven't written a single byte to the card after deleting those files, there's really no guarantee that file recovery programs will be able to recover those files with their original names and paths. I'm not an expert with this, but maybe if you somehow manage to recover just the specific files which were the game save files, you might be able to decrypt them by dumping the encryption keys from your 2DS using homebrew, and then import them using a homebrew save manager like Checkpoint.

I don't know what games you play, but I think this would only make sense for games where the save files store a lot of information and matter a lot like for example Animal Crossing, or some game where you have created a lot of custom levels/content. Otherwise I wouldn't bother if it's games where the save files just store things like your progress and unlocked items, you might even be able to "restore" your save files for those by using commonly available save editors to edit in the progress and things you previously had.

Any of this might also not be easily possible at all, but I'd strongly recommend write-locking the card and not changing anything on it until you get some more advice or recommendations for other recovery programs here, as writing or changing any file on the card in this state lowers your chances of recovering anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: