Hacking I haven't updated any of the hacks/softmods on my Wii since DKC Returns came out

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I want to turn my Wii into my main Emluation console
I was told there are adapters that let you use SNES controllers with the system for emulation and such and I'd like it to replace my Xbox as my main emulation system for my CRT TV.
Initially I was very very happy with the Wii but the fact that the classic controller essentially requires batteries to run is what turned me away from the idea of the system being my #1 one emulation device.

I don't know all the updates and such I have on it, nor do I remember any of how it as all done.

Here's what I do know:
- Bootmii is installed to boot1, that thing where even if the whole wii bricks it can still run, supposedly only old model wiis could do this and mine was one of those.
- I updated the hacks and everything on the Wii using some automatic updater shortly before or after DKC Returns came out, I know that it can't play Kirby's Return the Dreamland, it boots up and freezes right after you hit new game, I don't care tho I play the game on PC and wii u often :)
- Whatever HDD loader for wii games I used is using WBFS and my 300GB external HDD is formatted to WBFS

Now, could I safely use some automatic updater/hacking tool that would update my system to the latest ios's and such and make it able to play the latest emulators?
Also I'm interested in using wired controllers for my emulators so if that's possible which controllers outside of the GCN one can I use and which are the best adapters for this.

Is it possible to use a Wii U classic controller? I LOVE that controller and would love to use it for emulation, especially since it connects through USB

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Return to Dreamland has Metafortress on it. You have to turn off ALL patches. (Return To, etc.)

ModMii with a SysCheck report can automatically update your cIOSes. (Just drop the report .csv file onto the ModMii window)

WBFS as a partition type is deprecated and no longer maintained. If you want you can convert it to FAT32 without having to reformat the drive and replace the games. http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-convert-from-wbfs-to-fat32-or-ntfs.292391/

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You talk as if I understand anything dude XD I'm dumb, sorry

I don't know or have forgotten what modmii is, I don't remember tech related things.
Is this modmii a PC program or a wii program?
also is it going to update everything properly, like both the hacks and the wii's software or just the wii's software?

I DO remember one time back then running some thing on the wii itself that both detected and updated everything on its own, that was the last time i did any updating.
It went ahead and updated the wii's software by only downloading the files that wouldn't remove the hacks from Nintendo's servers and all the hacked IOS's or were they called cIOS's i don't remember, it looked like a DOS program if that's any indication.

I did have a report program too that would list everything installed on my wii but i don't remeber if it was this same one

I'll see if I have batteries for the controllers tomorrow and show you guys what I have installed on the system so we can go from there maybe...imma going to need someone to guide me though this so i don't mess something up

EDIT: Reading up on the WBFS to Fat32 converting thing without losing data, I needed this for so long!!! Thank you, if I can pull that off it'll be great!

Last edited by Shinigami Kiba,

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was busy today but I will look into modmii and such, I read up on it a lil but it's going to take some time to sink in, I'm slow when it comes to these things, sorry.

Is there not a program I can just run natively on the wii itself that would update everything properly? I had such a program back then and it did everything for me

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's PimpMyWii but I've heard it can be a bit unsafe. I've never used it.

For ModMii all you need to do is run SysCheck then drop the syscheck.csv file on ModMii's window after it's open. It will download what it needs and you can just copy the folder it creates to an SD card. It will also generate an HTML guide that tells you what to do with the files it downloads.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
THAT WAS IT! PimpmyWii XD yeah you're right, it might be unsafe, this sounds simple enough and thinking back I might have done something like this before :)

Just a couple more question and I think I'm good to go more or less, what cIOS installer do I need on the wii itself? What is the latest/best version?
Also my Homebrew Channel is old as sin, does that need updating too before I install anything else?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If you have a nand.bin / keys.bin backup from when you first hacked the Wii it might be worth restoring that and starting again. I did that as our Wii had so many modified cIOS's which were simply not needed today. The end result is our Wii is totally clean and auto boots in to the Homebrew Channel. Even if you want to use backup loaders you only need to install 1x cIOS from the research i did.

I'd say start over if possible and keep things simple, especially if all you want to do is use the Homebrew Channel for emulators.

Also my Homebrew Channel is old as sin, does that need updating too before I install anything else?

That should auto update, our Wii hadn't been used for 6 years, i recently started using it again and it auto updated when i loaded it up.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d2x cIOS v8 is the latest stable release and v10 beta is the latest unstable one. You just have to unzip the contents of the patch archives into the installer's folder so the "ciosmaps.xml" file is in the main folder.

This is what it should look like if you were using v10:
Screenshot (2).png

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!
Also restoring my wii to its original state is impossible, I don't have those backups anymore, that was a very very long time ago
in fact I have no NAND backups at all

My Wii was originally modded with something, key2 or some such, but that wouldn't play everything so when the Zelda TP hack came out I hacked it, this was before bootmii I believe even who knows.
Then i installed bootmii all nice and good and would regularly update my cios' and such but somehow got confused around the time kirby return to dreamland came out, didn't know what needed to be done and i left it unattended worrying i might mess something up.

I thought i'd be able to do this today, but i have a ton of work this week so i might have to postpone this whole thing for a few days, I hate computers and anything computer related causes serious anxiety and irrtates me greatly so I need to have a clear head when doing these things lol
I'm an artist, not a computer person so I try and stay away from these things if possible :)

so here's hoping this whole thing goes smoothly

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have trouble with Return to Dreamland make sure you have all patches turned off for it in the loader's settings.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks man
tho I don't care much about playing wii games on the actual wii since I own most of the ones I want original and play them on the wii u :) I just want to set the system up as my main emulation console now that I know there are adapters for it that let you use the original controllers.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it appears my wii can't read the SD Card properly anymore, the card seems fine on PC though
but the wii won't read it, or it would partially read it, like sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

maybe the SD card slot is dirty, i hope the card itself isn't corrupt

edit: Guess the SD Card slot was dirty, i dunno

here's my syscheck.csv

Code:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS61 (rev 5405).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.1E (v450)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 05.26.2006
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 running on IOS61

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 69104418
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United Kingdom (110)
Boot2 v2
Found 142 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 3 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 778): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256, Info: rev 10): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 269): Trucha Bug
IOS13 (rev 273): Trucha Bug
IOS14 (rev 520): Trucha Bug
IOS15 (rev 523): Trucha Bug
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 775): Trucha Bug
IOS20 (rev 256, Info: rev 12): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 782): Trucha Bug
IOS22 (rev 1037): Trucha Bug
IOS28 (rev 1550): Trucha Bug
IOS30 (rev 2816): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3349): Trucha Bug
IOS33 (rev 3091): Trucha Bug
IOS34 (rev 3348): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3349): Trucha Bug
IOS36 (rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 3869): Trucha Bug
IOS38 (rev 3867): Trucha Bug
IOS50 (rev 5120): Trucha Bug
IOS53 (rev 5406): Trucha Bug
IOS55 (rev 5406): Trucha Bug
IOS56 (rev 5405): Trucha Bug
IOS57 (rev 5661): Trucha Bug
IOS60 (rev 6400): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5405): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6687): Trucha Bug
IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[57] (rev 19, Info: rev 19): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 08/30/2016.

for WAD installers I have some old ones, do i need to update those to install new IOS's?

EDIT: I'll try and update the emulators/get the latest versions without updating anything on my wii's end, if that works im done as i don't want to risk installing WADs with this SD card now, if they don't work we'll see

Last edited by Shinigami Kiba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1