BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my more intelligent gaming friends posted this article on my wall from Cracked.com.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-omi...in-video-games/

Basically, ill give you a run down on the subjects that interested me.

I hate shooters.
I cant understand why there are so many of these terrible games saturating the market. I if i wanted to play something realistic, i would go outside or over to Iraq to play "Desert Shooter 2011". But this is where the money is going in todays industry. Its a bleak outlook for us RPG and action adventurerers.

The article makes a great point, which i totally agree with.

Seriously can anyone tell me what those games even are, without the HUDs? Shit. Cause i cant even begin to tell you how many fucks i dont give.

The Market is getting way to casual.

Nintendo made it a point to saturate the market with the casual gaming machine, the Wii. Everyone and their grandmother (not a joke) has one. But i dont know any of my serious gamer friends that play them. If nintendo doesnt figure out they they have already sucked the "casual console" well dry, they are going to get a mouthful of sand soon. Im not saying they are in any trouble, but the could be soon. I fear that the Wii U is 5 years too late and is what the Wii originally should have been. Which is why i think if nintendo releases a console on par with the PS3, i think they might have a chance being accepted with the big dogs again. Bro gamers dont care about the name on the box unless they are Halotards. All they care about is if the console has the shiniest graphics and Desert Shooter '11 on it. Which leads me to the next point...

Mobile Phones...
I didnt really give it much thought and i even laughed at the article about the creator of "Angry Birds" saying this game is the death of console gaming. I scoffed at the idea of the iPhone being a viable competitor to the handheld gaming market.

But i read the article again and looked at it with less jaded eyes. Im afraid.
Anyone with a smart phone with an app store can get Angry Birds for a mere dollar, or worse, FREE, on android. People no longer have much time to sit around in front of a console and play for hours. When we are up and moving, 5 minutes on the subway with AB is progress of a few levels. And by then they get bored and HEY look at that, perfect cause you are where you are going. Over a few weeks, you put in hours into a game you got for less than a cup of coffee and enjoy it more than playing Demons Souls on your 72 inch 2160i LCD TV.

Nintendo and other third partys answer to this casual market is not a fruitful one. Shovelware. Terrible games the you have to pay sometimes more than 20$ for, jsut to find that its an underdeveloped piece of crap that collects dust. Where as 3 seconds you can delete that silly Fat Booth game you downloaded and didnt spend a penny on.

Is it possible that while the Experia Play was/isnt a huge success, it is a step in the right direction???

DRM
Dont really care...i guess we may figure that monster out eventually.

Creativity
Im not a huge stickler here. I mean other than halo 7 and Desert shooter, id like to see companies try to come up with some new IPs. Or maybe its time to make a new installment of IPs that did well in the past. (PIKMAAAAANNNNNNN)

Future
I dont think we are going to bottom out completely, i think we are in a pretty rough spot though. I am excited with all the Move, Kinect, and the Wiis (although piss poor lol) motion controls. I am very anxious for some good motion controls and think its gonna be sweeeeeet when some Virtual Reality comes into play. I can ACTUALLY get in shape playing something awesome like "Civil War" or something. But its gonna take some time to get there...
frown.gif

tl;dr version: im ready to buy and FC Twin and start collecting as many NES/SNES games till the market shapes up.

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I know what you mean.
The gaming world is getting harsh, and predictable.
The shooter thing... is a phase.
And although I agree, as long as theres an audience with any interest (You're in one of the biggest of the internet.) there will be a gaming buissness.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually surprised at all the quality games there are on the iPhone.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery is an amazing game.

EDIT: I just thought about this post... when I say "all" I mean about 4-5 games.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just learn Japanese and have super happy fun time.
They still get lots of RPGs, it's just that -we- don't get lots of their RPGs.

Though western RPGs certainly look grim.
I can name Skyrim off the top of my head as being a good looking western non-FPS RPG...and nothing else.

Casualness is a virus that really is slaughtering the industry. MMOs are basically dead. There's a few striving to get a hardcore vibe going...but they get overshadowed by casual trash MMOs.
TCV (The Casual Virus) killed Fable (I won't let that go), it's killed MMOs, it's even killing shooters and thanks to an over saturation of casual FPS, TCV is even indirectly killing other genres as well.

In the West anyways.

I'm thinking it's time I learn Japanese (yeah right...I suck at any language besides English).

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Slyakin said:
Well, if the gaming industry goes under, at least we have phones to make up for it.

They're not all that bad.
If that were thaecase, I'd just give up.

I agree. Phone's have their decency in gaming. But in no way can be compared to the jewels we see on gaming hardware.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's sad, the gaming market has alot of shooters now, some i don't get, like Modern Warfare. There are 4 of them, and each play basically the same. Repetitive, repetitive...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh i have no problem with iPhone/Android gaming, im saying now that ive thought about it, its kinda apparent that they are in fact, a decent competitor the handhelds.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Platinum games (Bayonetta, Madworld, Vanquish, Infinite Space. That's 4 brand new IPs in just two years. They also have Anarchy Reigns and an upcoming project by Hideki Kamiya, the creator of Devil May Cry 1, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and Bayonetta.)
Atlus (Catherine, Radiant Historia, King of Fighters 13: An actually good KOF game, Devil Survivor 2. 2 RPGs, 1 "revival of a" fighting game, 1 creative puzzling/dating sim. Two of them are a sequels, but they still count)
Valhalla Game Studios (New company created by Tomonobu Itagaki. Currently working on "Devil's Third", a third person action game/ third person shooter)
Level-5 (Layton games, possible Little Battlers coming over, and they just got a US location, so they'll bring over a new game, and bring over 3DS games in the future)
Grasshoper manufacturer (Just released Shadows of the Damned. Lolipop Chainsaw, No More Heroes, etc)
Tango Studios (A company created by Shinji Mikami, one of the staff of the original Resident Evil game, Director of Resident Evil 4, and created God Hand and Vanquish. He has a game currently in development)

Not to mention, we're still getting games like
Trails in the Skies: The Second Chapter
Solatorobo
Disgaea 4
Dark Souls
Atelier Totori
Tales of Graces F
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

RPGs aren't your thing? How about
Deux Ex: The Human Revolution
Armored Core 5
Brand new Ace Combat
ICO/Shadows of the Colossus enhanced HD collection (Not everyone played'em yet. I know I know)
El Shaddai: Ascension of Metatron
And many many more.

I have problems with the industry too. I mean, it's just all Cawa dooty this Cawa dooty that. I, luckily have friends that don't play only generic rehashed FPS. Unfortunately, they never seem to actually buy any third party games, ever. Only one of them pirates games, but his logic is a bit laughable. (I buy brand new copies of games, where the company that produced it either went out of business, or sells the product at such a low price that at this point, it doesn't even matter) Whenever I show them games like Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned, Trails in the Skies, etc, they just buy Mario or some other game that isn't a generic FPS.

You know what I do? There's the little guys out there, releasing great games. Just gotta find them and support them. Xseed games. They publish lots of good niche titles, though not ALWAYS good games. Aksys games. Same deal. I have yet to buy a single Mario, Sonic, Call of Duty (I did get a copy as a gift), Legend of Zelda (Again, got a copy as a gift), etc, games since this generation started. I have not purchased a single Nintendo game, except games developed by Retro Studios. I BUY PSP games BRAND NEW within the FIRST WEEK of release. How weird is that, huh?

Anyway, maybe the popular genres will continue to flood the market like how it is now, but there will always be a small niche company that publishes all sorts of different (and maybe creative) games. Do what you can to support those guys, really.

ZPE

Trophies
Website
zpte.wordpress.com
XP
Country
It's all the gamers fault and nothing else. If people buy repetitive yearly junk that sells well over lesser known IPs, why should developers and publishers ignore the market and make something new? Granted, there are a few that do this without much success but they'll dither out slowly as low sales do not meet running costs.

Nothing different from the flood of beat 'em up and platforming games back in the 90s though.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things will always become different, no matter if you still support Mario or if you still support CoD. The shooter thing is one big fad. The next few generations (of kids, that is) will find something different to fixate on, and this type of cycle will repeat.

So support what you want. I will still support Nintendo. Things are always changing, no matter how slow.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ZPE said:
It's all the gamers fault and nothing else. If people buy repetitive yearly junk that sells well over lesser known IPs, why should developers and publishers ignore the market and make something new? Granted, there are a few that do this without much success but they'll dither out slowly as low sales do not meet running costs.

Nothing different from the flood of beat 'em up and platforming games back in the 90s though.

It's not floods of gamers playing WoW or CoD.
It's casuals.
Thus TCV.

D

Deleted-236924

First person shooters in essence are not bad.
Who doesn't enjoy playing Call of Duty or Halo 3 in splitscreen mode with friends?
Most of the times it results in ridiculous situations that makes everyone laugh.
An example is in Black Ops, when you play in Nuke City, near the end of the game everyone starts spawning at the same place and it's just plain funny.

What's bad is that there are way too many of them.
Online play is a good idea, but it was ruined by the immature douchebags and the cheaters.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Who doesn't enjoy playing Call of Duty or Halo 3 in splitscreen mode with friends?

Um, me? Read the OP.

Also, i remember Guild pointing this out. its the bro gamers that have starting playing games like CoD, Halo, Guitar/Band, or Sports 2011 and look at me. When they say, "what you dont play any of that? you must not be a gamer"
"Excuse me, fuck you. None of those are games. Those are real life simulators. lol"

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mind playing FPS's but they are just too over-hyped...
Plus they get pretty boring if none of your friends are on to play lol.
@Bortz, bro gamers?

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Eh my favourite genre has been pretty much dead since the mid-90s.
There's effectively only one company left in business that makes good shoot em ups, and that's Cave.

First person shooters are just not my cup of tea. I bought Halo Reach and stopped playing before reaching the end of the first mission, gave the game away after that.
The market is oversaturated with bland games, sure.

But it's your decision to buy those crappy copy-paste fests or go out and buy some original game without a million dollar budget behind it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7