Hacking I have a couple of nooby questions about the Gateway.

egoldman15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry in advance if some of these questions are really dumb. I know there are sticky for questions and I read through most of them. I just have a couple questions.

1) Can you download ROMs of 3DS and DS games and run it on the 3DS with Gateway?

2) Where can I find emulators that will run on the 3DS?

3) Does the Gateway support all DS ROMs?

4) What MicroSD Card should I buy, I am looking for one with alot of storage and I saw a couple of cheaper ones on Ebay?

5) What should I install on my gateway if anything?

6) Does Emunand install automatically on the gateway?

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
1)Yes, but Gateway only supports 3DS ROMs, not DS roms, you will still need a DS flashcart that isn't blacklisted by the 3DS. Although Gateway has a blue card that is basically a DS Flashcart included.

2)Most, if not all of them can be found by searching this forum.

3)Again, Gateway does not support DS roms, although the blue Gateway cart is a DS Flashcart.

4)DO NOT buy MicroSD cards from Ebay. There are fake SD cards out there that, for example, claims to have 64GB of memory but in reality only has 4GB. This means if you put data on it beyond 4GB it gets corrupted.

6)You can setup emuNAND thru exploits, this depends on your 3DS itself, and what firmware it has.

It seems you do not know that Gateway is actually two stuff, a white (3DS Flashcart) cart and a blue (DS Flashcart) package.

So most important question is, what is your 3DS? And it's firmware. :P

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) Yes, 3DS roms can be put on the red card and DS roms on the blue.
2) http://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-all-emulators-for-the-3ds.388155/
3) To my knowledge, yes all 3DS and DS roms work with the Gateway cards.
4) Sandisk or Kingston are both good, but beware they are also commonly faked.
5) Do you mean games or applications? If applications I'd recommend DevMenu and SaveDataFiler.
6) No. There is an option called Format EmuNAND on the Gateway menu. Select that and your EmuNAND will be created.

egoldman15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)Yes, but Gateway only supports 3DS ROMs, not DS roms, you will still need a DS flashcart that isn't blacklisted by the 3DS. Although Gateway has a blue card that is basically a DS Flashcart included.

2)Most, if not all of them can be found by searching this forum.

3)Again, Gateway does not support DS roms, although the blue Gateway cart is a DS Flashcart.

4)DO NOT buy MicroSD cards from Ebay. There are fake SD cards out there that, for example, claims to have 64GB of memory but in reality only has 4GB. This means if you put data on it beyond 4GB it gets corrupted.

6)You can setup emuNAND thru exploits, this depends on your 3DS itself, and what firmware it has.

It seems you do not know that Gateway is actually two stuff, a white (3DS Flashcart) cart and a blue (DS Flashcart) package.

So most important question is, what is your 3DS? And it's firmware. :P

My 3Ds is running 9.2.0-20U

I am aware that the Gateway is two separate things and I was asking about both of them, I guess I should have worded my question better. Anyway are you saying that the blue card cannot run DS ROMs?

Thank you for the quick response.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3Ds is running 9.2.0-20U

I am aware that the Gateway is two separate things and I was asking about both of them, I guess I should have worded my question better. Anyway are you saying that the blue card cannot run DS ROMs?

Thank you for the quick response.
The Red Card runs 3DS roms and only 3DS roms. The Blue Card runs DS roms and only DS roms. Both are included in the package, so you will have both when you receive your Gateway.

If you have an Old 3DS, you will be using the Browser Exploit to do the initial setup. If you have a New 3DS, you will be using Zelda/Cubic Ninja to do the initial setup. After that, options exist for both systems to enable the NVRAM Profile Exploit.

I hope this helps. If you still have questions, feel free to ask them, and I will be happy to explain everything I can to the best of my ability.

egoldman15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Red Card runs 3DS roms and only 3DS roms. The Blue Card runs DS roms and only DS roms. Both are included in the package, so you will have both when you receive your Gateway.

If you have an Old 3DS, you will be using the Browser Exploit to do the initial setup. If you have a New 3DS, you will be using Zelda/Cubic Ninja to do the initial setup. After that, options exist for both systems to enable the NVRAM Profile Exploit.

I hope this helps. If you still have questions, feel free to ask them, and I will be happy to explain everything I can to the best of my ability.

Thank you for answering my questions. :lol:

egoldman15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hi, I have another question. Do all micro sd cards work with the Gateway?

Jedis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Gateway as well, but haven't yet tried the blue card. Would I be able to use the same microSD card for both carts and just swap it between the two?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have another question. Do all micro sd cards work with the Gateway?
To the best of my knowledge, yes. You will want to stick with the higher speeds (like Class 10 / UHC-1). SDXC might have less support, you might want to stay on SDHC to be on the safe side.

I have a Gateway as well, but haven't yet tried the blue card. Would I be able to use the same microSD card for both carts and just swap it between the two?
While you can, it's not recommended. The blue card's writing to the SD card can lead to fragmentation of free space, and that will lead to file fragmentation problems for the Gateway card.

Jedis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you can, it's not recommended. The blue card's writing to the SD card can lead to fragmentation of free space, and that will lead to file fragmentation problems for the Gateway card.

Gotcha. What size microSD do you recommend for the blue card, and for the internal card? I have a 64GB microSD maxed out in the red Gateway card. I can't imagine I need that much space on the other two though?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, to clarify:

The blue card runs DS games and the red card runs 3DS games. However, the blue card doesn't work on 9.2 out of the box.

For an original 3DS. if you have 9.2, you can either downgrade to 4.2 which lets you run DS games and use the profile exploit), or install flashcardtimewarp or bluecardfix, which lets you run DS games but you stay on 9.2 and keep using the browser exploit. You can only run DS games; trying to run a DSi game will run it in DS mode.

For a New 3DS, you need Cubic Ninja or OOT, and you cannot downgrade to 4.2 because they never made a 4.2 for it. You can still install flashcardtimewarp/bluecardfix in order to be able to play DS games. Also, once you've done this, you can downgrade just the system settings so you can use the profile exploit from then on, and you won't need Cubic Ninja any more. NoteL Gateway's instructions about how to do this are bad,

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha. What size microSD do you recommend for the blue card, and for the internal card? I have a 64GB microSD maxed out in the red Gateway card. I can't imagine I need that much space on the other two though?
8-16 GB would hold a lot of DS games for the Blue Card. For the internal card, it depends on how much software you want to install in CIA form. I have a 32 GB card for my system, 32 GB for my Red Card, and am using a spare 2 GB card for my Blue Card (since I haven't been playing a lot of DS stuff lately).

Jedis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8-16 GB would hold a lot of DS games for the Blue Card. For the internal card, it depends on how much software you want to install in CIA form. I have a 32 GB card for my system, 32 GB for my Red Card, and am using a spare 2 GB card for my Blue Card (since I haven't been playing a lot of DS stuff lately).

Excellent! Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?