I guess no reason to wait for NES Classic to be hacked outside of hardmodding?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
$60 for the all-in-one unit with 30 games is a great deal, imo, but it's limited to that selection, and can't be updated, right? No actual interface outside of tapping right into the hardware?

I certainly would have liked to be able to get one and replace all the games I don't care for with ones I do, but alas....

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's infinitely better to just buy a Raspberry Pi and a NES-styled case. You get all the NES games, plus SNES, Genesis, GB, GBA, PS1, N64, Neo Geo, even some Dreamcast games run and that's not even the end of the list.

The only people buying these are going to be those hardcore nostalgia boner owners (heh, that's funny phrase :P).

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's infinitely better to just buy a Raspberry Pi and a NES-styled case. You get all the NES games, plus SNES, Genesis, GB, GBA, PS1, N64, Neo Geo, even some Dreamcast games run and that's not even the end of the list.

The only people buying these are going to be those hardcore nostalgia boner owners (heh, that's funny phrase :P).

Rasperry Pis are fantastic and much more better value for money.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, amazon US had it up for a hot second, but it wouldn't add to the cart and now the page is down. Curious if they sold out or if they just couldn't handle everyone refreshing the one page.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Rasperry Pis are fantastic and much more better value for money.
Absolutely, I own a few of them and use them nearly every day at some point or another. One is a media center, one is running emulationstation, and another is used as a backup PC I keep in my backpack in case I every need one for whatever reason.

To be fair to the NES classic, I can see the appeal in an official "plug-n-play" style console for those who are overwhelmed trying to follow basic PC instructions...but 22 games from a 30 year old console for $60? Nah. $25, sure, but no way is $60 worth it when you can get something that's just so much better at the same (or cheaper depending on the kit) price.

D

Deleted User

i also vote for the raspberry pi, i have a pi 2 and it's amazing

It also can play dreamcast games, so yeee boi

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
$60 for the all-in-one unit with 30 games is a great deal, imo, but it's limited to that selection, and can't be updated, right? No actual interface outside of tapping right into the hardware?

I certainly would have liked to be able to get one and replace all the games I don't care for with ones I do, but alas....
There's supposed to be a USB interface.
Sunxi FEL mode has always worked over USB. This is actually the first time I've seen it work over serial

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh I don't really see the point in spending that kinda money on a friggin emulator although the easy plug n play aspect definitely makes it more convenient for those unfamiliar with emulation, setting up emulators etc etc. If it were the real HW it would be one thing, and really it would be a more fair deal imo if it emulated the NES, SNES and perhaps the GB & GBA as well with many many more games available.

I'm not at all familiar with the emulation accuracy, though in one YT video I watched, Double Dragon 2's punch sounds seemed a bit off. How does the general emulation quality compare to your basic NES emus like Nestopia, FCEU and comparable?

edit: Those short cords are a massive oversight as well, and a very silly one at that.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,
Reactions: the_randomizer

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally i don't understand the appeal of collecting such items. Especially if the purpose isn't to PLAY THE GAME!:glare:

Go to the store, BUY ONE OF THEM, and play it. If you didn't like the games they had, that is your fault, cause everyone knew what games was gonna be on it before it was released.

Personally the game selection had more miss than hit, could have had blaster master on there, solomon's key, River City ransom and all of its variants, but we got Castlevania 2 simon's quest, ghost and goblins, and Ninja Gaiden. Is so weird, the famicom classic has more fun games on it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh I don't really see the point in spending that kinda money on a friggin emulator although the easy plug n play aspect definitely makes it more convenient for those unfamiliar with emulation, setting up emulators etc etc. If it were the real HW it would be one thing, and really it would be a more fair deal imo if it emulated the NES, SNES and perhaps the GB & GBA as well with many many more games available.

I'm not at all familiar with the emulation accuracy, though in one YT video I watched, Double Dragon 2's punch sounds seemed a bit off. How does the general emulation quality compare to your basic NES emus like Nestopia, FCEU and comparable?

edit: Those short cords are a massive oversight as well, and a very silly one at that.

I believe the short cords are overcome by using a Classic Controller or extension (the home button can be used in lieu of the reset button as far as I know). The emulator was programmed by NERD, the same group who programmed the DS emulator on the Wii U; emulation wise it's close to Nestopia from what I've seen, slaughtering Nintendo's piss poor Wii U emulator :P I do know that some dude in Japan was the first person to hack the Famicom Mini, it is using a Linux-based OS after all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill