I guess no reason to wait for NES Classic to be hacked outside of hardmodding?

D

Deleted User

Or you could get the PI zero the 5$ version which can still emulate NES
True, but not much else. It would just be better to buy a PI 3 or whatever the latest on is (or a lattepanda which is more powerful than the latest pi)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm with @WiiUBricker on this, NES Classic was not designed as a functional console, and the only evidence you need to support that theory is the length of the controller cable. Unless you're playing this thing on a monitor or you're sitting ridiculously close to the TV, there's no way a bog-standard HDMI cable (1 meter/3 feet) and the controller cable will be long enough to let you sit back on your couch (the optimal distance from a 42-inch TV, an industry-standard size for most living rooms, is 6 feet, if I recall correctly). It's very obviously a collector's item that you play on once or twice as a novelty, setting it up as a permanent system would require you to buy a long HDMI cable and to leave it on your coffee table/desk at all times, which is just inconvenient.

D

Deleted User

For 35$, you can buy a Raspberry Pi 3.
It does the same thing and more. You are basically paying more money for the Nintendo Name and nostalgia
And the convenience of just plug and play, not having to bind save-state key, legit manuals, nice UI you don't get with emulators

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and a legitimate license for the games.
That's nice and all, but Nintendo made sure the NES Mini was near impossible to find and they are going for like 250$ on amazon.
I mean, if you already have one, it's nice. But if you don't, just buy something else.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I feel bad emulating NES games since I do still have a ton of old NES carts at my parents' house somewhere, but my old NES is broken so emulation is simply the most convenient way for me to play NES games. Then we have cool stuff like ROM hacks, fan translations that don't have official counterparts and all the other advantages/opportunities emulators provide. The vast majority of NES games I emulate are games I physically own or in the case of the ones I don't own, they're mostly Japan-only or hacks.

I never buy to collect but rather to just play, and if I wanted to collect I'd buy the real deal since I still have so many old carts.

Randomizer: I don't own a Wii U nor am I familiar with the emulators on said console so I can't really comment on them or their accuracy, but thanks for the quick answer. Comparable to Nestopia is really all I needed as far as accuracy comparisons go since it's my main NES emu.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: