Gaming I didn't know they made these as screensavers.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897558.aspx

Uh, yeah. From Microsoft no less, and apparently is built so that it perfectly(?) emulates a crash on your computer with the safety of a screensaver. Why there'd be anything like this really escapes me right now. If it was an April Fool's, then it certainly came a few months too late. Interesting in that it uses your computer's data to make it look authentic.

You know, I should save this to my school's personal webspace so I can do it in the computer lab.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Just tried it on my own machine. Pretty convincing (it seems to use a different .sys file as the problem each time), though the WinXP loading bars went a little too fast for my machine for it to look authentic. You can't even mouse out of it, though I dunno if people usually attack the mouse when it crashes. My virus scanner of course picked it up as a joke file so naturally you'd need to disable it to get it to work. Now that makes me think I won't be able to get it to work at school, hrmm...

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rhyguy said:
QUOTE said:
Published: November 1, 2006

A bit old
True, but it was new to me. =P

Now, I wonder. I don't know how Vista works and everything, but I wonder what it'd do if used on a Vista machine, if it'd even run in the first place. It goes as far back as 9x, so...it'd be amusing if even Vista could be hit by this thing.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I made one of these myself once in Game Maker. I just had it show the sprite (which was the BSOD message), made an EXE, renamed it to SCR, and set it as my screensaver. It really confused my dad when he saw it.
tongue.gif

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Didn't work too great on a widescreen laptop... It wasn't mine anyways. I just tried it on my Vista compy though. I just noticed that the Vista blue screen is different from the centered text from the other Windows OS. It doesn't tell you to use Ctrl+Alt+Del anymore which hardly ever worked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol