Gaming I bought a meq laptop gamer Need help to past my games

aerios169

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, i have a Old gamer laptop and i want to pass my games to the new laptop without downloafing then againg like Call of duty mw so is there Any form to it ? I had searched but without a fast solution

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As with most things the answer is yes for some, also no for many more, also it depends (some things will work fine, others less so), and just for fun it will also depend upon your technical capabilities and/or willingness to learn. I am going to assume you have limited bandwidth (be it download cap or just slow) but still some and a lot of time for this one.

If you can clone your old hard drive to the new one then that would be great, assuming Windows will boot. Some serials and DRM might be tied to hardware IDs so you might have to log in to a service to say I am good or otherwise crack the game, to say nothing of the same thing probably happening for Windows.

There are games that run from their folder, and maybe have a save in My Documents or whatever. These you can copy around. These are mostly just DRM free games though and not all of them. When you installed them if that mostly meant extracting a zip file or something then that, most others will have things elsewhere you need.

Most games however will probably be installed. This means some files in program files (or program files X86), some data in the registry and possibly some other data in the local settings/application data folder, maybe something in the windows sub folder (DRM, anti cheat and what have you). You can try to find everything (if you have an installer then that will tell you, however that would be besides the point, if you back up the drive, uninstall it, note what changed and restore the hard drive so you can copy it all back then OK) and make sure it gets copied to the new place but still expect some fallout.

For Steam there are also things like https://www.traynier.com/software/steammover but that is more for stuffing games onto larger hard drives to leave a SSD clear, still can help.

Steam does have a feature like this but it is limited in what games will play nicely with it
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

You can possibly also abuse Steam itself by copying files around and having it redownload the handful that might be messed up. Torrent based installers will probably also be good here.

Going back to the clone the hard drive there are ways to turn an existing install into a virtual machine. Not ideal for games but modern VMs can speak directly to the CPU and GPU so maybe something could happen there.

Short version. It has been the better part of 3 decades since I first installed an OS on a computer and started fixing them/fiddling with them. I have not stopped since. I have pulled things back from the brink many times and fixed machines. Even with all that said I would probably still just grab any saves and reinstall/redownload as doing more than about 2 games that want to make life a pain will be super annoying.

Reactions: AtsuNii

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most of the games have regestry entries that are keyed to your user account on that old machine. you needto re-install the game.This is why you keep the install files of the games on an external drive or burned on a dvd/bul ray.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello, i have a Old gamer laptop and i want to pass my games to the new laptop without downloafing then againg like Call of duty mw so is there Any form to it ? I had searched but without a fast solution
Your entire Steam folder can be copied over and the games will be recognized just fine. No idea about other storefronts like Uplay, Origin or Battle.net. As for standalone games, they often rely on certain registry keys being in place. You can see which registry keys and files are accessed by the game with Process Monitor, dump the registry keys to a .reg file and import them on the other PC. There might also be DRM locking a game to the particular machine it was installed on.
Save data might also be stored in different locations. Process Monitor is handy for finding out where a game stores save data as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watermelon guava tomato sauce and mozzarella not too sure about that