Hacking I am at my wits end with this.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First a story.
I had a great working 500gb seagate Partitioned off with 470gb for wii games and 30gig in fat32 for other things.
So, hearing that rawk3 was coming out soon I decided to make a bigger partition for this, so I back up everything that is on the hard drive, down load swiss knife, and that ends up crashing, and I figured destroyed my HD.
Anyways. To make a long story short. I order a new Western Digital HD from new egg.
I partition that off with 1tb wbfs and 500 gb in fat32 and 500ish in NTFS. I plug it in and it doesn't work.
I say piss on this, and give my other Western digital HD a try, which is 1.5 tb. I set this for 1tb wbfs and 500 gb fat32, and it still doesn't work.
Did I mention that the 500 gig seagate started working again. But, I had sold that to friend who wanted her Wii hacked. I even tried plugging that one in to see if I didn't screw something up, and it loaded fine.

I say piss on this. I head down to my local wal-mart, and pick up out of all things a 500gig Western digital HD. I figure that a 500gb seagate worked why wouldn't a 500 WD work?
I put the same fucking files that were on the seagate on to the shitbox 500gig WD, and it doesn't work.

I'm in need of help.

Thanks for reading my rant (story) and of course thanks in advance.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the USB ports on the Wii still work. Use RockBand Equip, or plug something into it that has a power indicator - usb stick, hub, etc... and then make sure you are plugging the HD into the right Wii USB port. The HD's work on your computer right? So I'm guessing it's the Wii's USB ports. I have a WD Elements 1.5tb and it works fine.

Edit: Missed that the Seagate worked on the Wii again... yeah... get a diff HD, or try one of your WD HDD's on your friends Wii and see if it works... if it does, give it to them and take back your Seagate HD.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
So your Seagate hard drive ended up working... but three Western Digital hard drives did not work....
Do you really not see the pattern here?

I was just thinking that the reason the 2 Hard drives were not working was because they were to big.

Edit: Now I'm starting to think I messed my wii up. Tried to install a few WADS and I get -1029 error or something in those lines.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont think I can help with your new disks.
But I am pretty sure you did NOT destroy the Segate one.
At least if you really used only software and did not cause damage by physical means (like dropping it ...).

Try other partitioning tools( the one included windows or this gparted live cd or whatever) to create new partitions.

On second thought I have an idea about the new disks.
All wii programs Ive seen support only MBR but not the new GPT. Maybe check that. (see Wikipedia for details)

sparhawk110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had similar issues with external hard drives I've tried, Ive completely given up on any compatibility lists out there, there are just too many factors to be sure on any external usb drive. My solution for all of this takes a different look at the problem. I run with a USB hard drive dock, I like the one from Thermaltake best but ive tried several brands and they have all worked perfectly. This way I can put ANY brand of regular internal hard drive in the dock and im good to go. I have never seen any compatibility issues at all with this setup no matter what size, class, or brand of hard drive I use. And with hard drive costs constantly going down, you can find a 1 TB for ~$60-70 now, and a dock is $20-30 tops. This also allows you to grow with an existing smaller drive you may have lying around, and grab a larger drive later without thought of what type you have to buy.

If you are wondering what this is, take a look.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PsyBlade said:
I dont think I can help with your new disks.
But I am pretty sure you did NOT destroy the Segate one.
At least if you really used only software and did not cause damage by physical means (like dropping it ...).

Try other partitioning tools( the one included windows or this gparted live cd or whatever) to create new partitions.

On second thought I have an idea about the new disks.
All wii programs Ive seen support only MBR but not the new GPT. Maybe check that. (see Wikipedia for details)

Like I said in my first post. I got the seagate working again but I had already ordered a new HD to replace the seagate. So, I sold it to my friend.

I kinda got the 1.5 TB working. I got the games to show up on the loader but the Fat32 partition of the HD does not work.
I have it set as 897gb WBFS and 500gig in FAT32.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try deleting you config file and setting it up again. some hard drives are just gay, but i can't speak ill of western digital. they make some great drives. my 1tb works fine, and my previous 500gb worked great as well.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the loaders (Uloader 5.0 and UsbLoaderGx) to read the games.
Now I can't get Uloader to see the Fat32 partition of the hard drive for NAND emulation.
All my emulators, The HBC Channel, and USBloaderGX all see the FAT partition of the Hard drive but Uloader does not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN