Hyperkin is bringing back the Xbox 360 controller for the current gen

xboxnxonx.png

The defacto gamepad for PC and Xbox gaming circa 2005 is making a return. After resurrecting the original Xbox "duke" controller, Hyperkin is bringing back the Xbox 360 gamepad, 17 years after its debut. It's referred to as the Xenon controller, and looks just like the original 360 controller, with a few modernizations; it sports Menu, View, and Share buttons now, uses USB-C, and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. There are four colors available, ranging from the original white, to the 360 Slim-styled black, pink, and red. No pricing was revealed, but Hyperkin's original Xbox controller retailed for $70 when it came out, so it'll likely be around that price range.

:arrow: Source

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would probably sell a lot better with wireless connectivity to modern consoles. I know I would buy one near day one. I'm too spoiled to wireless to buy a wired 360 controller for my series X.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's what I keep seeing in the ones I look up: Either they have dogshit worn analog pads, or they cost $30-40, which is kinda outrageous for this kind of controller. Even the wired ones are up there.

Makes me wish I had kept my 360 controller in case I needed it: It was in great condition, but now I'm looking to play a game with no backwards compatibility on Xbone, so I'm stuck with my little brother's old 360, and I love him, but as a kid he was AWFUL with taking care of games and controllers lmao.
Welp, after all this talk, I ended up getting lucky with one that looks in pretty decent condition from Mercari for only $20 including shipping. Still waiting for it to arrive; hopefully it works properly.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really and no. It's not really that loud lmao. My keyboard is significantly louder.

They have to be on the small side if you think it's a great controller, because it was actually designed for the hands of 10 yr olds. And the tactile is pretty loud when it bothers people trying to sleep in other rooms and can be heard over the game itself. If your keyboard is louder than that and I lived with you, the problem would be solved much sooner than later. Haha. :P

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
They have to be on the small side if you think it's a great controller, because it was actually designed for the hands of 10 yr olds. And the tactile is pretty loud when it bothers people trying to sleep in other rooms and can be heard over the game itself. If your keyboard is louder than that and I lived with you, the problem would be solved much sooner than later. Haha. :P
It's... literally significantly larger (not wider, but bigger handles, etc) than the PlayStation gamepads (except for maybe the dualsense, which I haven't held)

Barely differs in size from the XB1 gamepad, I was able to transfer over easily. Any size different wasn't noticeable.
I don't have sasquatch hands, but I have pretty normal sized hands and fingers.

Also I wouldn't change my keyboard for you or anyone, so you'd be out of luck, champ. Please stop responding now, lmao.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's... literally significantly larger (not wider, but bigger handles, etc) than the PlayStation gamepads (except for maybe the dualsense, which I haven't held)

Barely differs in size from the XB1 gamepad, I was able to transfer over easily. Any size different wasn't noticeable.
I don't have sasquatch hands, but I have pretty normal sized hands and fingers.

Also I wouldn't change my keyboard for you or anyone, so you'd be out of luck, champ. Please stop responding now, lmao.

Tell the entire "barely different in size" thing to all of the people who have posted about the size change causing pretty significant hand cramping. "Barely any difference" my ass. There are posts all over the place about it if you'd have bothered to research the topic a bit before commenting.

And about your keyboard. If you want to play smart ass with "please stop responding" comments, I'll say that it wouldn't be a case of "changing" it for me or anyone else. It would be a case of me smashing it to smithereens, so you'd be out of luck.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why nearly every single third-party Xbox controller that I've seen is only wired. Does Microsoft just, not license their wireless protocol?
No idea, but just about any third party controller I've seen cuts down on some features for the sake of cost or increasing the profit.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hot take: every d'pad is crap, I much prefer to play most of my older games with a proper joystick.
What.

PlayStation, Sega, and Nintendo controllers have great d-pad controllers. Hori pads do, too.

Playing d-pad games with a joystick (= analog stick) just feels very unreliable and inaccurate.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Discrete microswitches will always be better than rubber membranes. Keyboard nerds proved this years ago.
You're right, my absolute favorite part of using a keyboard is how I have to manually aim in one of 8 digital directions of keys using a discrete analog circle.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What.

PlayStation, Sega, and Nintendo controllers have great d-pad controllers. Hori pads do, too.

Playing d-pad games with a joystick (= analog stick) just feels very unreliable and inaccurate.
Apologies for my ambiguity, by "joystick" I mean something like the Zipstik or Competition Pro which were commonplace in the world of 80s computer gaming. Of course for Snes or Megadrive games you'd need a stick with a few more buttons. I'm also not saying that d-pads don't have their place. They're significantly more convenient and cheaper than a big meaty stick :)

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for my ambiguity, by "joystick" I mean something like the Zipstik or Competition Pro which were commonplace in the world of 80s computer gaming. Of course for Snes or Megadrive games you'd need a stick with a few more buttons. I'm also not saying that d-pads don't have their place. They're significantly more convenient and cheaper than a big meaty stick :)
That's what I had in mind and while that would work, I'd not enjoy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup