HWfly failed installation on Switch Lite. No boot after desolder.

Chronologics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey fellas, hope all is well.

I recently attempted the switch lite HWfly install with no avail (that flex cable was ruined in the process) so I thought to cut losses and desolder the SP1 SP2 connector on the processor unit and remove the flex cable as well.

Unlucky for me, now the switch doesn't seem to boot at all (no sounds, no image on LCD) but the device does seem to 'turn on' as when I hit the power button with the battery plugged in the components do heat up to around 40C (104F) like it's trying to do something. Here's some pictures on the parts I touched with the soldering iron under the microscope. Does anything look wrong from these pictures? Or would anyone have any idea on where I could start the troubleshooting process? Very curious and eager to learn. Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Cheers mates, take it easy.

processor unit caps:
IMG_002.JPG

area above processor unit:
IMG_003.JPG

3.3v:
IMG_005.JPG

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hard to see but these pins are pretty much data lines surrounded by grounds, so even a slither of solder between two pins is likely to break comms between different parts

Attachments

• IMG_003.jpg
    IMG_003.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_005.jpg
    IMG_005.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 99

Chronologics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys, thanks heaps for the info, the missing cap is a bit embarrassing I'm surprised I didn't notice it. With your help I replaced the cap with a 100ohm one from an oled board that I had that doesn't work. Also looking back I noticed this bridge after you bought the possibility of others to my attention, these two fixes and it boots again! Cheers guys couldn't have done it without your input.

Additionally, is there a good place to get replacement resistors/capacitors for these machines? Or is donor the best bet?

Attachments

• IMG_005.JPG
    IMG_005.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 88

IcyLetters

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you know the resistance or capacity you can simply order an appropriately sized one off of Mouser or Digikey, whichever you prefer. They are dirt cheap and if you are working on multiple systems they are great to stock.

Reactions: BigOnYa

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I, too, was missing the same resistor and have just ordered it after reading the above post (and comments from all the contributors)... thank you =)

Additional question:
While doing the mod, I ripped a solder pad (shown on pic where the red box is).

Is it crucial or can I just solder it to the pad next to it and "ignore" the ripped pad? I have checked the "bare board" (ie front and back) and the ripped pad doesn't seem to connect or link to anything.

Attachments

• missing_Pad.png
    missing_Pad.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

cilione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I, too, was missing the same resistor and have just ordered it after reading the above post (and comments from all the contributors)... thank you =)

Additional question:
While doing the mod, I ripped a solder pad (shown on pic where the red box is).

Is it crucial or can I just solder it to the pad next to it and "ignore" the ripped pad? I have checked the "bare board" (ie front and back) and the ripped pad doesn't seem to connect or link to anything.
Ripped pad is connected to the eMMC.
You will need to restore the connection.
If you can't get solder to stick to the remaining copper in the ripped pad/via you'll have to grind and solder to trace (= not an easy job).

1704662350882.png

Reactions: hengtoo

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Noted with thanks cillone and REALLY appreciate the reply!

Just to double-check:
If I want to continue on the mod, I have get it to "stick" to remaining copper (as per your reply).
If I want decide to "abandon" the mod, the switch lite should be ok leaving it in it's current state (ie missing pad).
I'm asking the above as I have just ordered my 0102 100ohm resistor and can't test it out myself until the resistor is here.

Also, with the "bare metal" trace, I can't seem to find any trace of the "green" line that you have on your above digram. Is there anywhere that I can "tap" the trace from (aside from tapping from the eMMC).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.51.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.51.58 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.51.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.51.03 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by hengtoo,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
If I want decide to "abandon" the mod, the switch lite should be ok leaving it in it's current state (ie missing pad).
your device wont boot due to missing pad cut the dat0 line from cpu to emmc
Post automatically merged:

Also, with the "bare metal" trace, I can't seem to find any trace of the "green" line that you have on your above digram. Is there
the Green line is under one layer of ground, you have to grind to motherboard

Reactions: hengtoo

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thanks jkyoho, that really helps!! This forum really ROCKS with people like you!!

There is a small "dot" on the ripped pad and maybe I'll try "flooding" it with solder paste and jump a wire to the pad next to it to see if it'll come to life... fingers crossed!

Last edited by hengtoo,

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hi. finally got the switch lite work again!

Just to share:
- Ripped pad is INDEED connected to eMMC & 100ohm resistor is required (as pointed by cilion & jkyoho)
- I managed to "pool" solder paste into the ripped pad and bridge a thin wire to the pad next to it

Then ALL good =) Thanks again to all!!

Attachments

• Fix_Pic9b.jpeg
    Fix_Pic9b.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • Fix_Pic14.jpeg
    Fix_Pic14.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 23

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Instead of "calling it a day", I decide to try the HWfly mod again and now I have 2 ripped pad at the location where the 1st ripped pad used to be... thus, the switch lite NO longer boots.

I then tried to bridged the 2 inner exposed copper together but the switch still doesn't boot.

It was working when I bridged the 1st missing pad (on the left) to the top-most layer of the pad (on the right) next to it so I think I might have bridge it to the wrong layer now that both pad are missing.

Any advise or thoughts on this?

Explanation of pic:
- red rectangle is the 2 missing pad
- previously only left side pad was mssing and bridging the inner layer to the top most layer on the right works (ie boots up)

Attachments

• Quest1.png
    Quest1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Sad
Reactions: BigOnYa

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Success and works!

Just to share:

- I used green pcb mask and masked off the middle (several layers) there was a small small exposed copper in the middle (refer to pic)

- Bridged the 2 points using solder paste

Switch Lite sprung back to life.

Attachments

• 20240202_142213.jpg
    20240202_142213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240205_162730.jpg
    20240205_162730.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...