Hurricane Harvey Causes Massive Floods in Houston

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

2. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I've got a Texan friend who DM'd me really early before things got completely out of control and how she was afraid of losing her house and everything, long story short she packed her bags and moved to a safe house with her parents alongside. It sucks that books, games, electronics and all that are probably ruined in several areas of Texas but that should be the least of anyone's worries.

Pack your bags, get your loved ones and escape.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I believe it because this world is gone beresek and it will continue to do so. IT WILL GET MUCH AND MUCH WORSE. It is going to happens to us that we never had experienced before will be a new experience and scary to us. Humanity is the reason of this Earth's ruin. :(

HaxAras likes this.
  4. phalk

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    Damn it... It brings tears to my eyes reading this, Chary. You're a girl that is pretty much like all of us here. You live the same way and like the same things. I can feel how you must be feeling right now. Your words are so emotional I am almost crying reading this.

I really hope you can start feeling better amidst all of this as soon as possible. I wish I could help somehow, even if I live in the other side of the world.

And you're right, you're alive. That's what's important, because if we are alive we can rebuild. And you will, because you're strong. And you have your friends here at temp and your family there with you, you will never have to face this alone.

Chary likes this.
  5. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Don‘t worry. Trump will make America great again

Ah least that’s what he promised

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  6. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    This was nature's own call and in that regard no one could have stopped it but avoided it. Get the essentials and jump ship.

7. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
    I hope you and your family are and continue to be safe @Chary. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Chary likes this.
  8. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I have a feeling that rice is going to be really expensive after all of this...

9. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I read a tweet from a Texan which basically stated that the police told her not to leave her house. You know, if the police tells you not to leave you're much likelier better off leaving than staying behind. This reminds me of the UK's Grenfell tower where its residents were also told by the cops not to leave their apartments and then look how that ended.

I'm not saying don't trust the police but this is a huge red flag that you need to take special measures to leave.

10. Aneki

Aneki Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    Under a tree near a waterfall
    I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where it didn't flood as bad as other and that I live right beside a grocery store. I do hope everyone else is safe, its dangerous out here.

After this is all over, anybody who lives here in Houston needs help with something I'll be willing to volunteer my time, I can also help with moving things around since I have a truck.

Last edited by Aneki, Aug 28, 2017
  11. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    "Global warming is fake news"
    Also, this is not surprising at all, hurricanes much, much more powerful than Harvey are going to become more and more common in the years to come. And this region of the US is located in the "hurricane corridor" anyways.

HaxAras likes this.
  12. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    This is nature. You can't control it.

HaxAras likes this.
  13. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    From what I've seen Harvey is far less powerful than Katrina.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nope, but global warming is causing more and more powerful hurricanes and natural catastrophes to become more and more common.

HaxAras likes this.
  14. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Good luck @Chary I'm sorry for the things you lost as someone who never trash anything i feel bad for you
    But stay positive at least you are alive, maybe it will result in pleasurable outcomes in your life, sometime good things can come out of tragedies and only time will tell

Anyway i wish you the best and you are an awesome redactor

Chary likes this.
  15. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    I'm living in houston, and basically the water goes up to everyone's thighs. It's not fun, it's been raining like hell.

Chary likes this.
  16. tilda

tilda Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Denton, TX
    Damn, that sucks... best wishes @Chary and hope you get through
    I'm in Texas myself... although up north. Hopefully it doesn't hit me.

Chary likes this.
  17. Luglige

Luglige hiatus

Jan 24, 2016
    Antarctica
    under your bed
    I have family up there and their houses are flooding severely. The property damage will be comparable (Or greater) to Katrina. Best Wishes to you @Chary.

Chary likes this.
  18. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I've heard that's because the infrastructure is not there to allow everyone to evacuate. If everyone tried to evacuate at once they would simply find themselves stuck in gridlock city by the time the hurricane hit.

19. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Somebody told me the last time Houston was evacuated there were more deaths from traffic than the actual storm.

But still, I wish I could donate but then I have this in my checking account:
    [​IMG]

Chary likes this.
  20. Aneki

Aneki Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    Under a tree near a waterfall

You're right, you can't suddenly move 6.5 million people in a day, the signs of a hurricane happened so rapidly there wasn't any way to fully evacuate that amount of people in such short notice. I remember when hurricane Katrina struck everyone was in a rush for evacuation, some were stuck on the roads with no gas, there was a lot of back up traffic, etc.. and I believe there was about 100 deaths that happened there, perhaps more!

Last edited by Aneki, Aug 29, 2017