Hurricane Harvey Causes Massive Floods in Houston

The latest hurricane in the south, Hurricane Harvey, has caused substantial flooding in Houston, Texas, with three currently dead and thousands who've lost there homes. So far, over 50 inches of rain has been reported, with more rain fall expected in the area.

Our own beloved reporter, @Chary, was unfortunately caught up in this disaster. We have heard from her, and she is physically fine, but she has unfortunately lost her house and possessions. We will have more information on this as we hear it.

All our thoughts and prayers of the Temp staff are with Chary and those other people caught in the disaster.

:arrow: Source

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hope to get news from her as soon as possible. please let us informed.

sorry to hear she lost everything :(
the house is destroyed or just flooded?
what will she and her family do?
where does she live for now ? they are providing refuge to citizens ?

Good luck to anyone located in that area

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

I don't know how much she wishes to share publicly, but I can tell you that she's currently in a flood shelter, and thankfully she's safe.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are some real heroes out there. A ton of normal civilians have gotten into boats and gone around saving as many people as they could.
I wont say a ton because i'm sure Chary will at some point, but she was saved by an absolute legend of a human being. He got in his boat and saved dozens of people in Chary's neighborhood and probably beyond.
There's lots of stories like this, and i'm honestly just amazed at how many selfless people are out there risking their lives for their community.
Of course all of the authorities, rescue crews and all of them too. But these normal civvies don't get enough credit for the work they're doing.

Sorry if i'm a little incoherent, i've been up all night and day.

It's flooded but that's as good as destroyed honestly.
No one knows what people will be doing just yet. Everyone is focused on just surviving this horrific event. It's not over yet unfortunately.

Oh shit man. So sorry for everybody involved including Chary. Is this going to be bigger then Katrina?

A lot of people are saying it will be the worst flooding disaster in US history. The damage done already is horrific, and it's not even slated to stop for several more days.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does Harvey have to do with gaming???
When one of our best members is caught in it, it becomes Temp's problem. Screw the Hurricane, glad to know Chary is safe.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What does Harvey have to do with gaming???
You were not forced to read the thread.

Also just so you know, a very important site member and her family just lost their house from the flooding. So instead of having such entitlement towards what was published, have at least a minimum amount of compassion for all the victims.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
You think to yourself, and you wonder, Houston is America's fourth largest city. Houston is a force in this country's economy. We have millions of people, importing exporting, we are the oil capital.

And it was all destroyed in one day. It's all gone. The town I grew up in? Devastated. The town where I went to middle school? 10 feet underwater. My university? Who even knows, last I heard it was having water get in the front door.

This should never have happened. Our mayor thought it would be good to disregard all advice, and not issue the evacuation notice. We were told to hoard water bottles and canned foods and ride it out. I've lived through Trop. Storm Allison, Hurricane Ike, the two big floods of 2015. None of them really affected Houston too badly.

I nearly died today. I don't really feel okay saying that. But I'm already typing, so what does it matter? My house was flooded with nearly 5ft of water, enough to get chest high, for me to have to swim and sit on a high table and pray things were gonna be okay. I called 911, the coast guard, my friends were looking into any avenue to get me to safety. No one came. I could have died in that house and the police wouldn't have cared. A guy in a boat came by, a neighbor from a few streets down. He'd lost his house, everything destroyed. But he took his boat out, and began rescuing people. I owe my life to this guy, I don't even know who he is.

I piled everything as high as it could go. I dunno what happened to the contents of my house. But all my furniture, my TV, a lot of my things are underwater now. Maybe my laptop is okay? It's all a crapshoot. Things from my childhood, things I love, everything is probably to be the next treasure of Atlantis.

I'm typing this from a rescue shelter. We have one night to sleep here, and then if you have a pet, you're gonna be kicked out. All roads are closed, there's no leaving. Can't get to a hotel, can't get to a friends house. Nothing. The city is totaled.

Why? The government certainly must have the funds to prevent such things. But instead, we had bayous that were 50% full, even before we had any rain. It seems so grossly incompetent.

Tomorrow, I'll be swimming through the remains of my house, to see what survived. The rain is packing in harder. Men and woman are sobbing at the losses they've suffered. I haven't slept in ages. I'm waiting on a cot from the church.

It sucks. Flat out. I'm devastated. Game collections I spent years on are likely gone. Comics and DVDs, figurines and toys, all gone. Before the boat came, I was trying to stack a Super Nintendo on top of a table on top of a chair. I don't even wanna know what happened to my gaming pc. Or my birth certificate.

But I'm alive. And that's what matters, right? I might have to move, or leave Texas entirely. I don't know yet, but for now, my family, my dog, and I am all alive. And I'm grateful to that. Thank you to all the well wishers, it means a lot. I'd feel a little embarrassed if I had the energy to do so, haha.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx for the update @Chary , possessions and material goods can always be replaced, but you and your family can not.
I really hope the mayor pays for this and gets removed because he decided to play politics during a national disaster which he was well warned of the flood waters and rain predictions before the hurricane even hit land.

This image went viral, nursing home for elderly people flooded with waist high water, because of the exposure luckily all these people got help and were rescued.
I live in an area that was heavily effected by sandy so im well aware how bad the flooding can be.

59a2fe27b730c.image.jpg

Last edited by Joe88,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
@Chary I am deeply sorry for what you've lost as a result of this situation, along with every one else in the area. Know that I and others, at least, on the Temp, will be keeping you in mind. Please keep us updated any way you can, but not if it will inconvenience any ability or strength you have right now.
I don't know about everyone else, but I know I'm willing to do what I can to help you get back on your feet and take care of lost possessions, and I feel as though there are others that will lend a hand as well.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think a moderator should begin a fundraising for chary just to help her, even if we dont collect much, it would be better than nothing
Personally, I would gladly give 25 bucks for her, i know it'S not much, but hey I'm at school and i have needs too, and as i said, its better than nothing :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...