'Huge' results raise hope for cancer breakthrough

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In early results from a clinical trial, genetically engineered T cells eradicate leukemia cells and thrive. Two of three patients studied have been cancer-free for more than a year.​
63891705.jpg
A microscopic image shows two T cells binding to beads, depicted in yellow, that cause the cells to divide. After the beads are removed, the T cells are infused into cancer patients. (Dr. Carl June / Penn Medicine)​

By Eryn Brown, Los Angeles Times

August 11, 2011

In a potential breakthrough in cancer research, scientists at the University of Pennsylvania have genetically engineered patients' T cells — a type of white blood cell — to attack cancer cells in advanced cases of a common type of leukemia.

Two of the three patients who received doses of the designer T cells in a clinical trial have remained cancer-free for more than a year, the researchers said.

Experts not connected with the trial said the feat was important because it suggested that T cells could be tweaked to kill a range of cancers, including ones of the blood, breast and colon.

"This is a huge accomplishment — huge," said Dr. Lee M. Nadler, dean for clinical and translational research at Harvard Medical School, who discovered the molecule on cancer cells that the Pennsylvania team's engineered T cells target.

Findings of the trial were reported Wednesday in two journals.[/p]

icon11.gif
source

this isn't the whole article, just a bit under half of it, if you want to read the remainder follow the source.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shuji1987 said:
On the subject, that's great news! I'm sure this gives a lot of people hope.

It'll be at least 5-7 years before this is proven to work and gets into treatment regimes. Also it may not turn out to be safe, cause more cancers in the long run etc...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually this is something that could help people with severe cancer. If you look at a normal medicine description, you will most definitely see side-effects. This is not an exception. Probably will cure some types of cancer, but others will (so far) prevail. Unfortunately..

-Qtis

ps. InB4 people saying that I don't care, most of my relatives have died/will die due to cancer. Including me.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My father passed from cancer few years ago.. with years of research already achieved it's about time to down that bitch disease once and for all
frown.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
They should increase the number of cancer patients who get treated with this, this definitely is a step in the right direction and hopefully one day they'll be a cure for Cancer. But that's also a bad thing in its own way, how?? When one disease/virus goes down, another comes up.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that they are working into a non-painful treatment; sure, there will be side-effects, but certainly not on the range of chemotherapy.

I really hope this will become an easy way to kill cancer. I know that this might not be viable, but any cure is better then no cure.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
squall23 said:
Except that a cancer cure was actually found a few months ago in University of Alberta. The only reason why it's not widespread is because the big pharmaceutical companies apparently can't money off it. Yes, that's right, greed is preventing them from saving people's lives.

http://nutritiondietnews.com/canadian-rese...erested/853757/
that's fucking retarded it shouldn't be about making fucking $ they should release this world wide right now and finally be rid of this fucking disease that's MORE important!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
squall23 said:
Except that a cancer cure was actually found a few months ago in University of Alberta. The only reason why it's not widespread is because the big pharmaceutical companies apparently can't money off it. Yes, that's right, greed is preventing them from saving people's lives.

http://nutritiondietnews.com/canadian-rese...erested/853757/
God damn, my aunt died from breast cancer the day before that article was posted
ohnoes.png

(yes, she died on Friday the 13th)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
that's fucking retarded it shouldn't be about making fucking $ they should release this world wide right now and finally be rid of this fucking disease that's MORE important!

It is fucking retarded but it's also just money to them. Why make someone pay money for a drug they only need to take once or a few times that rids them of the disease completely when you can make them pay for drugs their entire life that nullify the effects of the disease.

Pharmaceutical companies are there to prolong your life and make as much money out of that prolonged life as possible.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Drug companies are just like any other company. They need to make money. That's the point of a company. The products they make happen to help billions of people lead better and longer lives. When people bash drug companies for wanting to make money, they really don't understand how much money it takes to develop a useful drug, put it through clinical trials, and get it approved.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
shinkukage09 said:
Great. More people not dying on an already overpopulated planet. Lovely. That's totally what we need.
What?!?

How would you feel if your close relative/friend contracts cancer or some disease and only have only x amount of time to live? Wouldn't you want to save them, if possible.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
Great. More people not dying on an already overpopulated planet. Lovely. That's totally what we need.
I find this to be nice news but I'm not sure if you're joking or if you seriously went out of your way to make seemingly positive news turn to totally negative ._.

Regardless, nice find TC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.