Hacking Huge exploit found on firmware 3.0.0: smhax

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-355425

I did it. I'm blaming you.

Traded in my 3G/Wifi Vita for £76 and the memory card for £33, against a new Switch at £280. I actually made a profit on the Vita having bought it for £50 on Gumtree... always trust strangers on the internet. I never really used the Vita and it was too high a FW for homebrew. Now I can have a Switch sit in the dark instead, dreaming its of homebrew potential.

Welcome to the club man :)

Reactions: Captain Library

WiiFoundLove

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
So... what can we expect from this hax now? Everybody says it's big, there is CTU, but it feels a little bit like that's all. I don't know if i can/want to stay longer on 3.0.0 cause i want to continue playing ARMS online and i somehow don't see any benefits of staying at 3.0.0 atm... :unsure:

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... what can we expect from this hax now? Everybody says it's big, there is CTU, but it feels a little bit like that's all. I don't know if i can/want to stay longer on 3.0.0 cause i want to continue playing ARMS online and i somehow don't see any benefits of staying at 3.0.0 atm... :unsure:
You need to make a choice. Don't expect any hacks released to the public soon. Its probably going to take a few months AT LEAST, probably more. If you want to continue playing games, you're going to need to update, but don't cry about it later if it turns out sm:h is the only major exploit for the Switch. As of this moment, there's no way to be sure either way. I've heard a lot of people working on the Switch say that Nintendo has really stepped up their security this time.

So what will it be? Pack the Switch in the closet and wait patiently to jump on the homebrew hype train? Or update to continue using it and potentially miss out?

Last edited by MadMageKefka,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a job, but between a wife and two kids I'm not sure I can afford a second Switch to stick in the closet on the off-chance I'll be able to play yet another port of Retroarch on the thing.

The fact that their have already been multiple hacks and entry points within 4 months of release, means very likely more will come at some point. Save your money unless your a devoloper intending to create ports and programs. None of the older Nintendo consoles got hacked within 4 months of release and they all have had entry points more than once and all have application injection hacks or browser hacks or channel hacks. If your going to justify spending that kind of money do it when a new switch comes out that is actually more powerful and has more battery life, you could feed an Ethiopian for a year with that money or put it towards a vacation. Don't get me wrong, as far as I'm concerned a large number of people buying multiple switches does well for me because it will propel Nintendos funds and they will most likely invest more in making better games and more efficient consoles, I just dont consider myself that reckless with money to take part in something that will eventually be useless for me. On the chance another hack isn't found in later firmware which to me is an atomically small probability, it would cost less to get a console soldered(hardware modded) which will gauranteed turn up on the switch if a soft mod doesn't as opposed to spending a stupid amount of money on a console you already own, which will wait in a cupboard for who knows how long.

You need to make a choice. Don't expect any hacks released to the public soon. Its probably going to take a few months AT LEAST, probably more. If you want to continue playing games, you're going to need to update, but don't cry about it later if it turns out sm:h is the only major exploit for the Switch. As of this moment, there's no way to be sure either way. I've heard a lot of people working on the Switch say that Nintendo has really stepped up their security this time.

So what will it be? Pack the Switch in the closet and wait patiently to jump on the homebrew hype train? Or update to continue using it and potentially miss out?

By Richard Leadbetter Published 13/03/2017

Mere weeks after its release, hackers have already begun to peel back layers of Nintendo Switch's security - with a simple browser exploit now available. The exploit was revealed by iOS hacker qwertyoruiop, who claims he did nothing more than to very simply re-purpose a hack originally used to 'jailbreak' Apple iOS 9.3 devices.

This statement alone sounds like along with the 3.0 smhack suggest that Nintendos security isn't as top notch as what people are telling you. Considering none of their previous consoles were hacked in such a short amount of time.

Last edited by Jackson98,

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a job, but between a wife and two kids I'm not sure I can afford a second Switch to stick in the closet on the off-chance I'll be able to play yet another port of Retroarch on the thing.

I wouldn't be able to come up with an answer to my wife on why I had to buy a second Switch...just in case.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend stopped by with my second newly purchased switch after I sent the first back with dead pixels on firmware 1.0.0 - this new one also has a red and blue joycon, it's got no dead pixels but the firmware was 2.1.0. Time to charge and put away.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
After reading the first few pages I am rather happy I didn't update, I am currently on v2.1.0, Haven't updated since I got it out the box!
Because its late 2017 there will be a lot of good games I'll be missing on but it will hopefully be worth it!

Sonic Mania [Deciding whether to get on Steam or wait till Switch Hacked], Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces [Will get on Steam possibly, not sure whether to wait as well]

The First hack doesn't usually have backup loaders soon after so all those on 3.1.0 don't panic, just wait patiently, if a 2nd hack comes out 3.1.0 will then become the 2nd best/or maybe even best hack ;)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I go for the highlighted part :P
Mine's already stored in the closet, I just switched it on to check the version, leave everything setup (except Wifi) and put the tempered glass on.
I might open it up again when I get a Joycon Grip to disassembly and put just the grips on the Joycons while mounted in the Switch.
I feel awkward trying to hold it without a grip in the back of the Joycons while in handheld mode

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your concern, however on nintendo systems to date people have always found a way sooner or later. Their piracy protection just isn't as up to date as sonys or microsoft, which for the most part need soldering to get the same effect. Nintendo gc, wii, wii u, 3ds have all been homebrewed, and on the plus side an entry point into the Switch has already been found this early on into its life, which cant be said for all its predecessors. I would say the odds of another hack on higher firmware would have a 95%+ probability and that would be from a pessimistic point of view, Im more inclined to lean towards 99%+. Firmware updates at this early on in a consoles life also generally improves stability and compatibility aswell as adding useful new features. So by keeping a lower firmware its very likely your gimping your console. If your really paranoid nothing will come out in the future then I can understand your point of view, but given the current progress and Nintendos past personally I'm not worried.

Also thanks to this early vulnerability, it will be helpful for modchip makers to implement a way into a chip to implement into the Switch itself to ignore efuses and to make money off of it in the future. It's already easy to replace the casing, you just have to find an actual weak point to put a small enough chip into the Switch unit itself and I don't mean the joy cons since that wouldn't work.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also thanks to this early vulnerability, it will be helpful for modchip makers to implement a way into a chip to implement into the Switch itself to ignore efuses and to make money off of it in the future. It's already easy to replace the casing, you just have to find an actual weak point to put a small enough chip into the Switch unit itself and I don't mean the joy cons since that wouldn't work.

Please do not go to any modder who tells you "it will be easy" for something as tightly packed as Switch hardware to have reliable hardware modding. Unless, that is, you want a quick lesson in Thermodynamics 101.

This isn't a 360 chasis.

The fact that their have already been multiple hacks and entry points within 4 months of release, means very likely more will come at some point. Save your money unless your a devoloper intending to create ports and programs. None of the older Nintendo consoles got hacked within 4 months of release and they all have had entry points more than once and all have application injection hacks or browser hacks or channel hacks. If your going to justify spending that kind of money do it when a new switch comes out that is actually more powerful and has more battery life, you could feed an Ethiopian for a year with that money or put it towards a vacation. Don't get me wrong, as far as I'm concerned a large number of people buying multiple switches does well for me because it will propel Nintendos funds and they will most likely invest more in making better games and more efficient consoles, I just dont consider myself that reckless with money to take part in something that will eventually be useless for me. On the chance another hack isn't found in later firmware which to me is an atomically small probability, it would cost less to get a console soldered(hardware modded) which will gauranteed turn up on the switch if a soft mod doesn't as opposed to spending a stupid amount of money on a console you already own, which will wait in a cupboard for who knows how long.

Do not give people false hope on the Switch and its cryptosystems.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please do not go to any modder who tells you "it will be easy" for something as tightly packed as Switch hardware to have reliable hardware modding. Unless, that is, you want a quick lesson in Thermodynamics 101.

This isn't a 360 chasis.

Do not give people false hope on the Switch and its cryptosystems.
THIS
Seriously people the switch is not the 360. There was some extra room in the 360 for a modchip. THE SWITCH DOES NOT HAVE THAT EXTRA ROOM!
At best you would maybe see something like the 3ds with a capture card installed, with a replacement backing to fit extra stuff. But even that would be hard because if would make the dock and any switch cases and accessories no longer fit or work.
And even then that's if you can hardware exploit to disable efuses, which again isn't guaranteed.
Everyone needs to stop comparing the switch to previous consoles. If anything its security is similar to other current gen systems, which also similarly have exploits only on lower firmwares and AFAIK currently don't have modchips.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Jackson98 said:

Do not give people false hope on the Switch and its cryptosystems.[/QUOTE]

Hmm my statements are based on historical occurences on previous systems, aswell as already happening multiple occurences on the current, Ive seen quotes from hackers with years of experience saying exactly the same thing. I can provide more evidence if you like? I never said it was a 100% chance, however I did say it is much much more likely than the alternative. All I've done is state probabilities based on facts, so I'm not really sure where the false hope is, as false hope suggest the odds going in the other direction. If you can hardmod their will also be a way to lower the firmware version(don't need a mod chip), in the low chance that this is the last hack ever found on a nintendo switch console. Like I said though if you have money to toss around go for it ;), money for nintendo is good for the community. Just to clarify an incredibly unlikely scenario aswell in which none of this was possible and the amount of people with hacked switches were only the ones that kept it on 3.0 with multiple switches, noone would likely make programs for it because noones going to support a non existent community.

Last edited by Jackson98,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that's your problem. You cant say one system will be hacked because a completely different system was hacked.
He doesn't understand. Anyone saying "sure, update, an exploit will come" is ignorant. Look at the PS3.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

After reading the first few pages I am rather happy I didn't update, I am currently on v2.1.0, Haven't updated since I got it out the box!
Because its late 2017 there will be a lot of good games I'll be missing on but it will hopefully be worth it!

Sonic Mania [Deciding whether to get on Steam or wait till Switch Hacked], Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces [Will get on Steam possibly, not sure whether to wait as well]

The First hack doesn't usually have backup loaders soon after so all those on 3.1.0 don't panic, just wait patiently, if a 2nd hack comes out 3.1.0 will then become the 2nd best/or maybe even best hack ;)

"The first hack doesn't usually have backup loaders". Factually incorrect. Also I should mention that this is very similar to the exploit which gateway devs used to play 3ds Roms. So if anything,I'd even say this one would almost definitely lead to backups. Look at the vita also.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
He doesn't understand. Anyone saying "sure, update, an exploit will come" is ignorant. Look at the PS3.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"The first hack doesn't usually have backup loaders". Factually incorrect. Also I should mention that this is very similar to the exploit which gateway devs used to play 3ds Roms. So if anything,I'd even say this one would almost definitely lead to backups. Look at the vita also.
Lol dude just let them believe whatever the fuck they want to.
If they update, that's their problem, they will come crying anyway when things don't go their way.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Lol dude just let them believe whatever the fuck they want to.
If they update, that's their problem, they will come crying anyway when things don't go their way.

I'm on 2.1.0, won't update, I am extremely patient, i survived the SoonTM days of the 3ds so I should be good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0