Not open for further replies.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I mean. Piracy. If you're not part of it then consider yourself the 1%. People are joking themselves if they think most people aren't interested in piracy almost exclusively.
You can't make a generalization like that. Sure the interest will be there. But for example, I'm HEAVILY interested in homebrew and seeing how that'd work out. Probably much more than Switch roms. Probably because I'm a big boy and I can pay for my Switch games.

Reactions: gameboy

MatMaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't make a generalization like that. Sure the interest will be there. But for example, I'm HEAVILY interested in homebrew and seeing how that'd work out. Probably much more than Switch roms. Probably because I'm a big boy and I can pay for my Switch games.

Why do people always assume piracy is 100% about not being able to afford games? My 3 most popular series are only my 3 most popular series because I pirated them to try them out and I now either own all the games in the series or have bought a collector's edition from the series.

Aside from that, I'm not generalising, I'm saying it's a majority. Again, you might not be interested in piracy, but most other people are.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got a switch!! on ver 1.0.0, do you guys think it's safe to stay on this one or should i go cart hunting to get to 2.0.0+ for more features?

i wont be using the thing until an exploit or HB entrypoint is around so im not too worried
Impossible to say at this point if it will be needed, but 2.0-2.3 does have the webkit exploit.

tommzy09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What is there to even pirate at this stage?

I just want the switch to replace my psp as the ultimate retro emulator. The 3DS has come close but psp's native ps1 emulator cannot be beat.

Hopefully with the switch, we can have every emulator the psp did +
- a psp emu (port of ppsspp)
- a gcn emu (port of dolphin)
- a ps2 emu (if it has enough power)

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I mean. Piracy. If you're not part of it then consider yourself the 1%. People are joking themselves if they think most people aren't interested in piracy almost exclusively.

You can't be on gbatemp and make an argument that the majority of people don't want to (wouldn't want to) pirate. The far minority might be interested in some HB apps. Let's be real. I want saved game transfers. I remember when HB was about crazy apps you couldn't get on a portable device (I'm talking about the PSP here). With the proliferation of cheap Android phones and tablets, there isn't much you can do with a HB app on a Switch that you couldn't do better on a tablet.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meaning that optical drives haven't been necessary for PCs for quite some time. I still like having one, but I've got one in my laptop in case I need to burn something.
I would say that's fair, if all software (or at the very least, OSes) had a bootable thumb drive in the box instead of a CD/DVD, but I'm quite sure there are at least thousands of people with computers that are so old, they can't even boot from USB. Exponentially more either don't have high speed internet, or a download cap, or no internet at all. Hell, even though Apple are cheap bastards with their hardware (and have many laptop models with no drive at all), they still sell external CD/DVD drives at stupid prices... and people still buy them!

Perhaps you really haven't needed one. I can't disagree on your part, but it still seems weird :mellow:

I like to watch Blu Ray movies. I have a download cap (and my DL speed is pretty slow). The two simply don't go together. I picked up my current laptop just this May or thereabouts... Got a cheap model that had a dvd burner in it. First thing I did was add in an SSD, and swapped the dvd burner out for a Blu Ray Burner :P. And my Desktop has BOTH a DVD burner and a Blu Ray burner.

Last edited by urherenow,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my Desktop has BOTH a DVD burner and a Blu Ray burner.
I have a ton of retail DVDs at home (probably between 1000 and 2000), but not a single Blu-Ray disc, although I own a PS3 that could play them. Reason: Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me. Downloading whatever I need, nowadays!

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
meh.

Many people swear the difference isn't a big deal. Then they actually start watching Blu Ray on an HD TV for a while, then grab a DVD from a rental place because all of the Blu Rays are out... and it finally becomes clear to them.

Not sure where the "fool me" stuff came from. When did that ever happen? HD DVD? That battle is long gone. The only battle that REALLY made sense (in a way... but the outcome doesn't make sense to this day, as the loser was superior), most people in here never even heard of. That would be betamax vs VHS.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/900435023483949056
DH7839KXkAMKUFb.jpg

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't be on gbatemp and make an argument that the majority of people don't want to (wouldn't want to) pirate. The far minority might be interested in some HB apps. Let's be real. I want saved game transfers. I remember when HB was about crazy apps you couldn't get on a portable device (I'm talking about the PSP here). With the proliferation of cheap Android phones and tablets, there isn't much you can do with a HB app on a Switch that you couldn't do better on a tablet.
Read again. I didnt

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why do people always assume piracy is 100% about not being able to afford games? My 3 most popular series are only my 3 most popular series because I pirated them to try them out and I now either own all the games in the series or have bought a collector's edition from the series.

Aside from that, I'm not generalising, I'm saying it's a majority. Again, you might not be interested in piracy, but most other people are.
You're in the minority if you pirate to "try out" a game, delete it, then buy it LOL

D

Deleted User

i think ScriesM did great work killing the parent system ... but then again nobody here cares anyway because they just want piracy

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think ScriesM did great work killing the parent system ... but then again nobody here cares anyway because they just want piracy

Its because its a neat result but its not going to get us any further than where we were days ago: there is nothing to release.

The app masterkey will be useful for making a new app to have similar access to the Switch + whatever the Parental App had access to which isn't likely to be much but still potentially very useful.

MatMaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Read again. I didnt

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're in the minority if you pirate to "try out" a game, delete it, then buy it LOL

That's part if a minority INSIDE a majority who DO pirate games. They're different things. Most people WOULD pirate, but I'm not saying all their reasons are the same. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

Reactions: SLiV3R

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many people swear the difference isn't a big deal. Then they actually start watching Blu Ray on an HD TV for a while, then grab a DVD from a rental place because all of the Blu Rays are out... and it finally becomes clear to them.
I'm kinda guilty of that at the moment, but it's about 4K vs 1080p. I think it's more to convince myself that my expensive 1080p TV is still good enough and I don't need to 'upgrade' to 4K. Also, how the heck is 4K so prevalent already when HD hasn't even become that prolific yet (in terms of broadcast channels in UK anyway).

Maybe I'll just wait till 8K or whatever comes next.

It's also starting to become annoying to have to re-purchase every classic movie on the latest medium. I think digital makes more sense these days. Having said that, I'll never give up on my vinyl collection.

EDIT: Just so I'm still on topic, the title of the thread kinda irritates me a bit. You don't find an exploit, you find a vulnerability and create an exploit for it.

Last edited by subcon959,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols