Hacking Huge exploit found on firmware 3.0.0: smhax

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this will only work for new releases. Old releases won't get this unless they have a revision

Just new print runs is enough. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, all are likely to see reprints and will come with a forced patch. Remember, they still patch these games regularly and they also will update the cart to match later versions.

D

Deleted User

To go a step further, you soon won't be able to buy software at retail that won't force you into 3.0.1 with a patch on the cart. Good luck.
If you don't mind me asking, who are you? You seem like you know your shit but that's all I've been able to gather so far. I looked at the first post and searched you on google but haven't found any information about you.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first time I've bothered to get a second console for hacking but I just now made the decision to say fuck it, I want to enjoy online multiplayer with friends instead of having to wait it out when the warnings come. I'll put a tempered glass protector on it, charge it up and create a user and put it on the shelf. Common sense tells me more exploits will be found but I don't want to play the waiting game. I'll happily pay for and buy games and play online for as long as I need to. I'm probably going to buy the revision too.

D

Deleted User

I'm still reluctant to pick a Switch up because a New 3D Switch XL might be released in a few years and I don't think this will be the only exploit to ever be available. I really don't mind waiting.

Last edited by ,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still reluctant to pick a Switch up because a New 3D Switch XL might be released in a few years and I don't think this will be the only exploit to ever be available. I really don't mind waiting.

It won't be. It will be for a while.

The bug-report program is what you should keep an eye on. If/when more people's names show up, expect another major exploit to get sniped without notice or warning. Some holes may be patched before you ever even hear about them and long after its already too late.

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
33C3 is also at the end of the year this year. Always seems to be something interesting related to Nintendo there as well.

octoplow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
octoplow.com
XP
Country
United States
I said screw it and bought a 2.3.0 console because just look at the PS3 and PS4. The PS3 super slim has yet to be hacked and the PS4 isn't getting a public jailbreak in any foreseeable future. I also see Nintendo taking security very seriously this generation so they are going to try and axe any possible exploits in the system early on.

D

Deleted User

New 3D Switch XL
let that sink in

New - what, more processing power? longer battery? i don't think so.
3D - really? Why include 3D support for a non-3D console?
XL - isn't the thing big enough?

I know you were just stating it, and I am just jesting.

But still, I think the switch is such a success, they won't bother revising it

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
New 3D Switch XL
let that sink in

New - what, more processing power? longer battery? i don't think so.
3D - really? Why include 3D support for a non-3D console?
XL - isn't the thing big enough?

I know you were just stating it, and I am just jesting.

But still, I think the switch is such a success, they won't bother revising it
Not for a few years (like he stated)

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V-Temp Question for you. Could Nintendo fuck with hackers additionally by requiring a certain number of efuses to be blown to load a game?

D

Deleted User

As previously mentioned, very few Switches out there are hackable so there probably won't be much interest in homebrew development. I don't care much for backup loading and as for emulators, well I've got a PC for that.

I'll think about it for a few days but probably wont be buying one.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@V-Temp Question for you. Could Nintendo fuck with hackers additionally by requiring a certain number of efuses to be blown to load a game?

For new games that require a new firmware, this is basically what the software does by pinging the firmware number and key-check. If those do not match, the software won't run without an update or will force one from the cart. If you mean for the cart to check the fuse status? Carts are just a few pins with data on them. They can't do anything.

The former will require dumping of the software, and then decrypting the software and stripping the security checks.

Last edited by V-Temp,
D

Deleted User

For new games that require a new firmware, this is basically what the software does by pinging the firmware number and key-check. If you mean for the cart to check the fuse status? Carts are just a few pins with data on them. They can't do anything.
i swear you remind me of hedgeberg but i know hedge wouldn't screw himself by making a temp account

Reactions: thomasnet

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i swear you remind me of hedgeberg but i know hedge wouldn't screw himself by making a temp account

I will admit I do not know who that is, but perhaps I am this person I do not know. I have never considered this possibility.

D

Deleted User

I will admit I do not know who that is, but perhaps I am this person I do not know. I have never considered this possibility.
you just blew my fucking mind with that statement.

hedgeberg is one of the developers of Boot9Strap, and also one of the main developers of the switch exploit we are speaking about.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you just blew my fucking mind with that statement.

hedgeberg is one of the developers of Boot9Strap, and also one of the main developers of the switch exploit we are speaking about.

:D

Nope. As I said, I am a ninja. Not a hedge. Hedges are not known for their ninja-like properties.

Reactions: Friendsxix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1