AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
What a cheesy trailer :P
I might buy it if it goes for <200 but we all know that's not going to happen. VR headsets are too expensive to get big right now, and it's kind of a "go on reddit and brag" thing.

ILOVEPIE

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rohan.sdsu.edu
XP
Country
United States
The oculus rift, the actual consumer one has a single 1440p screen refreshing at 90FPS, and this is not valve's headset it's just one supported by valve, just like the oculus rift is.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Would anyone care about htc headset if valve wasn't mentioned ?

Well anyway i wish them luck, good to see more and more companies on the bandwagon, hopefully once the second generation of consumer products hit it'll be worth buying.

(i'm guessing first generation will not have many games, no standards and bunch of problems)

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether this particular instance passes or fails, these are very exciting times for the tech world. Console wars have been raging for some time, but this seems like it could help trigger the VR wars. That's something I've been wishing for since I was a kid (after seeing Johnny Mnemonic), but it's not something I ever really expected.

Then again, the only instance I can think of as far as VR hype trains in gaming was the Virtual Boy, so that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in commercial virtual reality.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never felt so much need of punching idiots in the face like right now.

Lel u sir u filthy peasant lel PC masterrace lel gaben our savior lelelelelel

Don't you fucking hate these people? Worse than the smug of Apple and Android users combined. Jesus Christ. I swear to God, "le PC user" are the cancer of gaming. Just give them unfair discounts and they will look the opposite way when it comes to real problems like the Steam client being a shithole.

Anyway, I'm excited. But what about us with glasses who can't see shit without? Do we need to get eye lenses? :(
Also imagine playing any horror game on that. Omg. Mine.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Own a DK2. It's 1920x1080 @ 75Hz or 960x1080 per eye, and fairly amazing for stuff that works with it, but horrible ingame UIs and input methods(currently).

1200x1080 even @ 90Hz(they're OCing the hell out of that display as even the DK2 is OCed @ 75Hz) is NOT going to cut it. 600x1080 per eye.

At some point I started noticing pixelation in the DK2 and now cannot use it without seeing it. Other have mentioned this and it was partially the cause of "screen door" effect of DK1(low resolution/low pixel density).

Controls suck, well as in me and many others do NOT like kb/mouse/joystick/console type controller and VR. Game UI none of them are great.

There is very little designed for VR software.

So we're in the cluster of no software/displays not there yet/non-existent good control options.

All may be fixed in release versions, as Oculus is working on something vaguely like leap motion(which sucks BTW tried one of those too but it's in the right direction) and sixxense STEM MIGHT work well although it's freaking expensive for controllers. Gloves/bodysuits aren't going to do it, need a combo of optical/some sort of depth sensing(kinect/realsense)/possible small wearable sensors(sixxense).

Reading the Valve VR blog, I'm not sure that I buy into that guy's hype/babbling wrt to refresh and "judder" especially

I also have a castar on pre-order along with their AR(augmented reality) and VR(virtual reality like the above two) clipons but seeing as they have already charged my account and still have no ship date I'll likely be cancelling that order and just wait for them to have shipping product, and stick with Oculus for experimentation(it's out, it works pretty well, and likely the next will be the consumer release that should improve all problems above hopefully "fixing" them).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu