Hacking How's GBA emulation with DSTwo?

MrUnoriginal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a DSTwo on the recommendation that it has good emulation for NES and SNES but so far I have been really disappointed. NES works sometimes but sub screens in games don't seem to work right. SNES is basically useless for most games I've tried. Is GBA emulation any better? I'm really feeling like I wasted the extra $20 to purchase the DSTwo.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you use the latest CATSFC for SNES emulation? I believe it is version 1.23. It's not perfect, but it's probably as good as it gets for DS.
What NES emulator did you use? I believe the latest Nesds is pretty good.
For GBA emulation it is recommended to use version 1.21 not 1.3, since 1.21 works with the game_config.txt file which fixes a lot of games.
So far I'm pretty content with the GBA emulation on the DSTWO, but I guess it all depends on which games you plan on playing on it.

And shouldn't this be in the Supercard subforum?

MrUnoriginal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest versions of both, but I'll double check. The SNES stuff is pretty stuttery so platforming is tough. For the NES, a lot of it works okay, but I was playing Clash at Demonhead, for instance and when you hit select to see your items, the screen is jumping all over the place.

P

pasc

Actually GBA Emulation is rather usable.
When I use m 3DS and feel like playing some GBA (which I usually use my EZ 3in1 for) then I just fire up the GBA Emu and am good to go.

However don't expect Payback to work...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo site doesn't list CATSFC/Nebulon and such because they're not from the official team.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ndssfc-catsfc-revival.339600/

And the DSTwo's emulation isn't perfect, but it's the best you can get on a DSi or 3DS. If you had asked ahead of time, I would have suggested something other than DS for emulation.

MrUnoriginal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I get that now, I do have a PSP for emulation also, I just was hoping to have it all in the newest toy.

For GBA emulation, is the plugin on the DSTwo site the best currently?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I get that now, I do have a PSP for emulation also, I just was hoping to have it all in the newest toy.

For GBA emulation, is the plugin on the DSTwo site the best currently?
No actually, if you use the older 1.24 with the game_compat.txt, you can play more on there. Including Pokemon emerald and such ^.^

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, the GBA and SNES emulation is not perfect but is very good for many games.
I even noticed they started to update the CATSFC emu, maybe it will get even better in the next weeks/months
But for GBA i stick with my DSlite + EZ Flash since it is perfect (no emulation, plays on actual hardware)

MrUnoriginal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually picked up a PSP Go this weekend. Gamestop is selling used Go's for $50 which is a great price for a really sexy emulation machine.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most recent build of CATSFC is a pretty sizable improvement from the official NDSSFC emulator that the Supercard team left for the DStwo. Though a lot of those improvements come with the added cost of some battery drain, since it defaults the emulator to run the DStwo's chip at its fastest speed. Still, it helps a lot. SNES games that didn't require an extra chip in them to boot/process are pretty much a given on the card. Between it and SnemulDS, there aren't many such games that can't be run well.

Though again, things change when you start involving games that did have additional chips on the cartridge, such as the DSP chips for the MegaMan X games, or the compression chips a lot of RPGs used to fit on the available amount of ROM chips they were able to have on the cartridge. For those games that used compression chips, I understand there's a way around that by de-compressing the rom somehow. It balloons the size of the game, but it renders the need to emulate said compression chip pointless.

As for the GBA, unless you have a DS lite, your only real choice is going to be the DStwo's emulator. Not perfect by any means, but it is serviceable.

PyroJing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually picked up a PSP Go this weekend. Gamestop is selling used Go's for $50 which is a great price for a really sexy emulation machine.
This is what I came in here to say. I had Emulation on my PSP-1000 but got a DSTWO anyways. Wish I had just gotten a card that didn't eat my battery even when not in use and just stuck with a PSP for emulation. Might pick up a PSP Go to replace my bulky 1000.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol