Status
Not open for further replies.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So TX' "firmware SKU" is literally pirated Nintendo firmware, modified with its own DRM layer, then sold in stores. Which are linked in here.

Is the "I'm just buying the license for that firmware in those stores" argument enough to freely link to stores selling pirated firmware?

You know - details...

Should we report those links. Should we pretend, they arent what they are?

Should we only ignore those of them that allow paypal?

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deletedmember448668

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not possible.

The main point is - "how will people get current firmwares". This also relates to the question of is TX' selling an OS?

If people are on a low firmware - this firmware can either be copied into emunand, and then updated.
Or updated in place (potentially blowing efuses), and then copied.

They can't apply "just patches" to something that isn't on your Switch. So "where does the current Firmware come from" has become something of an important question.

It comes from the official nintendo servers. No pirating involved

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious about this one. Because if you restore a NAND Backup with firmware 4.1 but you played on firmware 5.0. You risk a kernel panic since the fuses doesn't match up. I guess it's someway to hack that as well or tell that this is a legit firwmare because fuses XYZ are blown. Never the less, off-topic.

Leaves again.
Yea, it'd be a brick without an RCM payload. Full restore of your current nand setup should work though, not that I've tried.

Also, yea, they can apply patches. Everything is on your Switch already, that's what makes them patches and not full binaries.

In other cases, you can create your own modules like Secure Monitor and just use those. Re-implementation using your own code is legal.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

ChaosInJapan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yea, it'd be a brick without an RCM payload. Full restore of your current nand setup should work though, not that I've tried.

^This

This is basic common sense, but every time you plan on updating your firmware version (now or in the future) do a NAND Backup before and after the process.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible.

The main point is - "how will people get current firmwares". This also relates to the question of is TX' selling an OS?

If people are on a low firmware - this firmware can either be copied into emunand, and then updated.
Or updated in place (potentially blowing efuses), and then copied.

They can't apply "just patches" to something that isn't on your Switch. So "where does the current Firmware come from" has become something of an important question.
The eMMC. Patches are loaded into ram when cfw is loaded, which basically live patches the OS in ram (which is where the original OS runs from when it's booted, same for any os)
You lack a fundamental understanding of how these things work

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It appears to me that they are selling an OS that then loads the Nintendo switch OS and patches it.
A launcher, or loader, or patcher - is not an operating system.

So again, either there is something wrong with their advertising -

or they are selling a pirated Nintendo OS.

Semantics, I know - but nonte the less - important.

People can not sell just anything, and then claim - they'd sold you something different.

Reactions: Deletedmember448668

ChaosInJapan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

People can not sell just anything, and then claim - they'd sold you something different.

The thread has become a loop.
YES! IT IS NOT AN OS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE USING THAT WORD SIMPLY AS A MARKETING MOVE. NOTHING ELSE

\close thread god please

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already told you multiple times that their gui that loads from the dongle counts as an OS. You seem to have a very narrow idea of what OS actually means.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It's no different than calling Luma3DS or rxTools, or any number of other shit like rebug, or that dash shit for xbox, an OS. They'll do nil for an end user without the 3DS firmware, ps3 firmware, or xbox firmware, firmware being an OS* in this case.

Seriously guy....

Last edited by EclipseSin,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I bought Windows.... I got an operating system. I wanted some nice shiny windows. See the difference? You can call it whatever you like. The OS part can stand for something like Original Start or whatever they want. People that buy piracy devices generally don't care what they call it. As long as the function to play backups are there.

ChaosInJapan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've already told you multiple times that their gui that loads from the dongle counts as an OS. You seem to have a very narrow idea of what OS actually means.

Well, I would not count that as an OS. It's simply a splash screen with 3 buttons. A simple GUI.
I could stand up with calling it bootloader or bootmenu, but it's definetely not an OS.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The eMMC. Patches are loaded into ram when cfw is loaded, which basically live patches the OS in ram (which is where the original OS runs from when it's booted, same for any os)
You lack a fundamental understanding of how these things work
Stop trying to win the side argument with "lack of understanding". :)

- Do TX users have to update their emmc ("on the console") firmware - so they will be able to run "recent games" (TX claims to only apply "patches" in this thread.)
- If users do - will they blow efuses?
- If the update is done after first copying the firmware to emunand, and then connecting to Nintendos servers, how will they handle the risk of detection on Nintendos part, when they are trying to get a recent firmware - while being online on emunand?

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

- Do TX users have to update their emmc ("on the console") firmware - so they will be able to run "recent games" (TX claims to only apply "patches" in this thread.)
- If the update is done after first copying the firmware to emunand, and then connecting to Nintendos servers, how will they handle the risk of detection on Nintendos part, when they are trying to get a recent firmware - while being online on emunand?

- update for recent games? YES
- blows fuses? YES
- do blown fuses matter? NO

- do they hide usage while connecting to nintendo? We don't know. But most likely they don't care.

Last edited by MHDestination,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
What are you doing? Think who's reading that...

And the mud runs thicker.... I'm out. Lol.
You said you were out almost a page ago. :)

This has now become an interesting argument over "who is supplying the OS, that they are selling" - and how they'll make sure, they arent simply banned at the point, they are trying to grab the OS to then "patch" - because they arent selling an OS - even if on all store pages is stated, that they are. :)

(You can choose between false advertising, and selling pirated software - as potential explanations. :) )

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

- update for recent games? YES
- blows fuses? YES
- do blown fuses matter? NO

- do they hide usage while connecting to nintendo? We don't know. But most likely they don't care.
Great - so the TX solution blows efuses.

Thats a statement we can run with. Thank you. :)

Last edited by notimp,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You seem to think people have only told you that you know nothing, but you seem to just ignore anything people say with facts. Like I just told you in what you quoted that it updates eMMC most likely (I don't believe they are using emuNAND like atmosphere, but we don't know yet)
The process of using this vuln can skip efuse burning, but even if it didn't it doesn't matter as this will work on future updates anyway, so the fuses make absolutely no difference.
As for the third point, there's no reason updating emuNAND would cause bans.
It goes through the network just like a standard update, because the underlying OS is the same, the patches are not "installed" but rather running from ram.
Their "install" is likely what atmosphere plans to do which will force the console to boot into RCM every time without the jig by modifying the boot table.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: tpax

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You said you were out almost a page ago. :)

This has now become an interesting argument over "who is supplying the OS, that they are selling" - and how they'll make sure, they arent simply banned at the point, they are trying to grab the OS to then "patch" - because they arent selling an OS - even if on all store pages is stated, that they are. :)

(You can choose between false advertising, and selling pirated software - as potential explanations. :) )

Great - so the TX solution blows efuses.

Thats a statement we can run with. Thank you. :)

Their "OS" is likely the same form as Atmosphere. Patches for the official OS, meaning they are not distributing any illegal content. Unless you have some insider information not listed there.

If they were doing as you propose, it would be trouble for the distributors as well. And I don't mean a slap on the wrist.
@everyone Just abort. This person clearly cannot understand the concepts or information that has been explained to them. You can find this one's fruitless and ignorant crusade throughout this forum. Check out their postings. This person needs to do more studying before posting on anything.
I got matches, don't quote me like that.

Also, yea, they can apply patches. Everything is on your Switch already, that's what makes them patches and not full binaries.

In other cases, you can create your own modules like Secure Monitor and just use those. Re-implementation using your own code is legal.

It's no different than calling Luma3DS or rxTools, or any number of other shit like rebug, or that dash shit for xbox, an OS. They'll do nil for an end user without the 3DS firmware, ps3 firmware, or xbox firmware, firmware being an OS* in this case.

Seriously guy....
Just because I want to be a dick.... I'm not seeing it. I remember telling everyone to abort though. I applaud you for showing your lack of comprehension skills.

Nisem0n0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread sparked quite the shitstorm huh? There should be an official statement then lock this thing up, it's just getting redundant. If you're dissatisfied I'm sure there more than enough imleavingthetemp.jpg to go around.

Reactions: EclipseSin

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just because I want to be a dick.... I'm not seeing it. I remember telling everyone to abort though. I applaud you for showing your lack of comprehension skills.
I mistakingly thought when you told everyone to not pay attention anymore - that that would include you. I'm sorry. You can win that one.

This thread should not be locked up - I remain, that its important for people to know that:

- The word "operating system" in on TX's product pages is a false marketing claim - which they are happy to admit to, so they can get out of the accusation of actually selling pirated firmware.

- Also - it is important to know, that with TX's solution you will have to update to the most recent firmware on your switch, to play more recent games - and that it will blow efuses, which has further implications down the road. This was the first thread this information surfaced in - and its an important one.

I will not bump this thread from now on, as the situation was "cleared up" - but it should remain open imho.

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deletedmember448668

Biggest problem I see with this thread is not that people are guessing what TXs product does but TX themselves not being open about it and leaving everyone sitting here arguing and defending a product they really know nothing about. Go ahead and defend them all you want but don't tell me what they are selling us and what features it has unless you work for TX or actually have inside info.

Last edited by ,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mistakingly thought when you told everyone to not pay attention anymore - that that would include you. I'm sorry. You can win that one.
This is not a win or lose debate. It's just that you seem to misjudge what this product is and what it does.
- Also - it is important to know, that TX's solution will blow efuses, which has further imblications down the road. This was the first thread this information surfaced in - and its an important one.
Uhm no? eFuses are just downgrade protection. They blow when you update the official Nintendo Firmware. There is like 1000s of them in a chip like this. This have nothing todo with TXs at all, just how the Switch works.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: TheCyberQuake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?