Homebrew How to use HBL on 11.3 (A9LH+Luma)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It takes me roughly 3-4 retries to boot lol
Though when you're a homebrew dev, that's nothing, normal users I recommend honestly to just wait.
Is worst when you actually boot the HBL, you get happy and excited, then you choose the homebrew to load and then it doesn't. Now is like playing with you. :P

If only homebrew loading was more stable like other systems, even wii homebrew channel or WII U Haxchi. :creep:

Reactions: Shikkichu

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is worst when you actually boot the HBL, you get happy and excited, then you choose the homebrew to load and then it doesn't. Now is like playing with you. :P

If only homebrew loading was more stable like other systems, even wii homebrew channel or WII U Haxchi. :creep:
I have the worst luck on my wii-u lol

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the worst luck on my wii-u lol
I assume by that statement you aren't using haxchi. So if you are using web browser exploit, is just random. Haxchi is 100% accurate in loading homebrew. While i appreciate web exploits a bit more since is unique than a simple common "Save data injection" But to be fair none of these methods of Loading homebrew have been consistenly updated to be as accurate as possible. Unlike the WII homebrew channel or something else.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
I only hacked my o3ds xl like a couple of days ago, it's currently on 11.2 and I'm in two minds of giving this a try. Now I read people saying update luma and ensure you have a nand backup, by the nand backup do they mean the one you made during the ctrtransfer stage of the hacking process(I followed the 3ds.guide, tho also did watch a YouTube guide which followed through the webguide just to see where the backup process was)? Or should I make another backup in hourglass before hitting the system update?

I also have a 2ds(11.0) and n3ds xl(11.2) which I'm trying to decide if I should also hack, was planning on keeping the n3ds unhacked but in two minds. On the n3ds I have like 10-12 digital retail & eshop only games and a few gameboy VC which I don't want to loose, well my nnid plus eshop access to be able to redownload them legitimately not through the freeshop.

I seem to recall reading that hacking the n3ds/xl breaks the DS/DSi functionality, is that true?

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I only hacked my o3ds xl like a couple of days ago, it's currently on 11.2 and I'm in two minds of giving this a try. Now I read people saying update luma and ensure you have a nand backup, by the nand backup do they mean the one you made during the ctrtransfer stage of the hacking process(I followed the 3ds.guide, tho also did watch a YouTube guide which followed through the webguide just to see where the backup process was)? Or should I make another backup in hourglass before hitting the system update?
It's a good idea to make another NAND backup before updating to 11.3, but be sure to keep your original NAND backup from when you installed A9LH.

I seem to recall reading that hacking the n3ds/xl breaks the DS/DSi functionality, is that true?
This is entirely false.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a good idea to make another NAND backup before updating to 11.3, but be sure to keep your original NAND backup from when you installed A9LH.

This is entirely false.

Thanks for the reply, I do have the original backup "backed up" also.
So is the process, update to latest hourly luma, backup nand then update to 11.3? Or does it not mater which way around you do the the back and update of luma?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also,

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version itself is stable, also using the cia updater it ALWAYS makes a backup of the original file it's overwriting.
This is literally just for people who want to boot HBL..
Nightly is exactly that, nightly. It could contain untested new features that may be buggy.
When I said I didn't need to update Luma and everything worked still, HBL was included.
People should be able to use the latest stable release of luma with 11.3 and HBL just fine. If they can't they did something wrong.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nightly is exactly that, nightly. It could contain untested new features that may be buggy.
When I said I didn't need to update Luma and everything worked still, HBL was included.
People should be able to use the latest stable release of luma with 11.3 and HBL just fine. If they can't they did something wrong.
That's odd considering when I went back to normal v6.6 to test as someone else said the same thing (turns out they were on a dev build), I couldn't boot HBL.. with the latest hbl cia, and 11.2 payload.. I tried with SVC patching on, still couldn't, are you certain you're on normal 6.6 and using 11.2 payload on 11.3?

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd considering when I went back to normal v6.6 to test as someone else said the same thing (turns out they were on a dev build), I couldn't boot HBL.. with the latest hbl cia, and 11.2 payload.. I tried with SVC patching on, still couldn't, are you certain you're on normal 6.6 and using 11.2 payload on 11.3?
Yep 6.6 no issues. Maybe it's using Luma Updater that is causing the issue for you.
The Luma I have on my system was manually copied from the releases git hub page.
I tried Luma Updater once and it caused issues, I kinda don't like it and think it causes problems/does something wrong.

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Worked on my O3DS but can't get it working on my N3DS XL. I got the latest launcher and renamed the 11.2 payload with no luck, then manually downloaded the new payload, but it still just exits with "An error has occurred, etc, etc"
Both devices running the latest Luma hourly

Edit: Weird. I copied latest luma arm9loaderhax.bin from github to my Micro SD, still didn't work. Then I used Luma updater to update to latest again and it started working :)

Last edited by chr0m,

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
All well and good for the experienced people discussing/bickering, anyone going to "translate" for those that are new? I.e what to do with the new release

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: gonna try downloading something with jdownloader @SylverReZ