Tutorial How to update B9S to Version 1.1

Did you install version 1.1?

• Yes, and it was a success

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Yes, but I bricked

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • No, I decided to stay put for awhile

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No, I have a softmod brick, I don't want to fix it until there is a better method

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will do it

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I am doing it right now!

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
OK I found a method to installing Boot9Strap 1.1 over 1.0 the best way
All 3DS models work! AND MAKE SURE THE NIGHTLY IS IN THE b9s-next BRANCH! (thanks sp3off!)

Also, I have seen people complaining that they updated to the latest hourly on version 1.0 of boot9strap and their 3DS won't boot, thats because the latest hourlies were built for version 1.1 of boot9strap. This is a softmod brick in a way, so its fixable via just doing what is done below, so follow this and this will fix it.

0) If suffering from boot problem listed above; get the vanilla 7.1 version of Luma3DS from AuroraWright and replace the boot.firm from the SD of your 3DS with the vanilla one
1) Move all payloads from the luma/payloads folder to somewhere
2) Get the latest version of SafeB9SInstaller and place the .firm file from the zip in luma/payloads
3) Get Boot9Strap 1.1, make a folder on root of SD called boot9strap if it doesnt exist
4) Place the boot9strap.firm and boot9strap.firm.sha in the boot9strap folder
5) Reinsert SD into 3DS
6) Boot 3DS while holding START
7) Do onscreen instructions for installer
8) If done, you should have an error screen on next boot saying something about an "Unexpected" error.
8.5) Reinsert SD into Computer/Laptop
9) Its fine, just go to Alex's Luma3DS Builds on GitHub and download the latest nightly
10) Get the boot.firm and copy it to root of SD card
10.5) Reinsert SD into 3DS
11) If done correct; you would have booted like normal
12) Put SD in Computer
13) Now restore all the payloads and delete the SafeB9SInstaller if you want
13.5) Reinsert SD into 3DS
14) Now this part is important, open GodMode9 via chainloader menu (if you have more than one payload, or it will boot auto if its the only payload), go into SDCARD and press Y on boot.firm
15) Now go back and go into SYSNAND CTRNAND and paste boot.firm there (make sure you overwrite the existing one, we dont need it as we have a new version of boot9strap and having the old payload will keep it on error forever if SD is not in 3ds when you boot)
16) Now when you are done, reboot 3ds
17) Now to get version 1.2! Re-do step 1 if you want to boot into the installer automatically when you hold START instead of going to the chainloader menu
18) Now get the new SafeB9SInstaller from the edits at the bottom of the tutorial and put it in luma/payloads (overwrite existing one if it exists)
19) Now get boot9strap 1.2 and replace boot9strap.bin and the .bin.sha in the boot9strap folder on your SD,
19.5) Put SD card into 3DS
19.8) Configure Luma3DS 8.0 and when it reboots, turn off 3DS
20) Restart 3DS while holding START. If you boot into chainloader menu, go into SafeB9SInstaller. If you boot auto, continue. Now follow installer's instructions
20.3) Now you are done
20.5) Get Luma 8.0, its needed if you want your 3DS to get all the new features and fix any errors. Replace boot.firm like usual with the Luma 8.0 one
21) Now continue steps 14 through 16 to finish installing Luma3DS 8.0. Now you have successfully updated everything!
22) Install the new version of the Homebrew Launcher (2.0 - Rosalina release): https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases (just replace the boot.3dsx on your SD root with this one from the link

EDIT: Now Version 1.2 is released; just follow the same steps but download 1.2 instead of 1.1 lol
EDIT 2: OK, I tried installing 1.2, but I keep getting error upon booting into installer. Maybe has to do with the installer, we need an update probably to install 1.2.
EDIT 3: OK, get Luma 8.0, from AuroraWright's github, that should possibly fix this problem, I will return with results
EDIT 4: Nope, 8.0 won't fix the problem, we just have to wait for word to get out of a way to install it properly. For now, just keep eye on the 3DS Hacks subreddit on reddit.
EDIT 5: Heard of rumour that version 1.3 coming out in a few days, they like f*cking with our heads, don't they?
EDIT 6: New Homebrew Launcher released!!!!!!!! If 11.4 didnt block udsploit and the other thing, we could try installing 1.2 that way
EDIT 7: WE HAVE BREAKTHROUGH PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! Thanks to SciresM and KunoichiZ, we have a 1.1 compatible installer for 1.2 version! Go to: https://transfer.sh/bi8b5/SafeB9SInstaller.firm and download it, then proceed through tutorial!
EDIT 8: Just to clear, Boot9Strap 1.2 is needed to use the Luma3DS 8.0 update
EDIT 9: Sorry if too many edits, but keep an eye out for a new version of SafeB9SInstaller if we get a version 1.3 of boot9strap
EDIT 10: https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s my tutorial is dead, follow this if you want a better method. I tried guys :(
This is dead guys. Go to 3ds.guide, Plailect has made an Updating B9S section. Its better than this and goes into detail. Well, I was the first person in the whole world to make a tutorial for updating B9S, but Plailect, again, makes the better tutorials

Last edited by ChaosWeeb,

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'll ask this another time... What's new with this update? There's any reason i should update right now?
  • Fixes some critical bugs due to rushed 1.0 release.
  • When requested, framebuffers are now passed via argv rather than using legacy cakebrah buffers.
  • The loader now runs from a stub in itcm -- this lifts restrictions on boot.firms' ability to load.
  • By setting a bit in the firm header, execution can be handed over pre bootrom-lockout.
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Reactions: NoNAND and elBenyo

hausa51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
and a warning for the b9s-next branch
Only one small remark: Today updated 1.0 to 1. 1 on O3DS and, besides, has used Luma3DS-4429cb2 from master branch. Has functioned easily.
BTW, thanks for your tutorial!

hausa51

Last edited by hausa51,

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: KunoichiZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...