Emulation Gaming Homebrew ROM Hack Oldies Emulator My experience & suggestions regarding Vita RetroArch for Super Mario World romhacks:

iTheBeep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, I gravitate towards using Snes9x-2002 the most for Mario World romhacks. The audio is pretty bad though. Some custom music that you hear in romhacks, get all scratchy and eargrating on 2002. The core is also unstable; every once in a while, I'd enter a pipe or go into a level, and RetroArch would crash.
On 2005 romhacks tend to blackscreen on boot, and if they do get ingame, the audio is better than 2002 but sometimes the audio cuts out entirely upon entering a level.
ChimeraSNES oftentimes has visual glitches with romhacks unfortunately, but when it doesn't, I'd prefer using it the most.
2010 runs fine and has the best audio, but has the least amount of performance overhead for fastforward. It also ALWAYS crashes upon loading a savestate. Since I use savestates a lot, I can't use 2010 😂

If anyone was interested in what SNES core has the least amount of input lag, it's probably between 2002 and 2005.
2002 has a little more performance overhead, but in both 2002 & 2005 you can add more Frame Delay up to 7-8 without games having framedrops. In my experience playing, 2002 and 2005 have the same responsiveness. I personally disable VSync cause I don't mind the screen tearing, and so I get a frame less lag.
ChimeraSNES and 2010 are the laggier cores but not by much; just around ~0.5-1 frame slower.

Info & disclaimer: I played 9 romhacks on my Vita since I got it in the summer: A Plumber For All Seasons, Super Wakana Land, Touhou Mario, Sicari Remastered, Sicari 2, JUMP1/2, New Super Mario World 2, Reality Project Reloaded, & slurdgery
I used to have data of me testing these cores for input lag, but I deleted it on accident. My source is trustmebro on this one 💀
Post automatically merged:

Hey y'all, there's a new update on ChimeraSNES, available on the GitHub.
It was released three weeks ago and I didn't notice.
I tried it out and some hacks that were visually broken, started to work again. Some hacks like JUMP1/2 in particular, were still broken though.
After doing a quick and dirty slowmotion camera test, ChimeraSNES had around the same latency as 2002 and 2005 while in Super Mario World. So 2010 is the only slower core, but again, not by much.

Last edited by iTheBeep,

iTheBeep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. i love Super Mario world. Any hacks that you recommend?
I linked the 9 romhacks I've played so far, in the original post.
However, the ones I'd actually recommend... hm.
This is going to be a long answer because I want to be thorough. Links are embedded everywhere.

A Plumber For All Seasons is a very high quality Standard: Normal hack. Highly recommended for a fun, casual Mario game. It's pretty much the same difficulty as the original, which to me personally is baby easy. I played this with 2002 and it crashed at times, but saving the game and then running it under a different emulator like 2010 for the level I'm crashing on, was my fallback.

Sicari Remastered & Sicari 2 are a little step up in difficulty (Standard: Hard), but I love both! It's almost like you're playing a whole different game with the differences in art, characters & level design. ChimeraSNES worked like a charm for both of these hacks.

JUMP1/2 so far, is my favorite Standard hack. It's a long hack with over 100 exits, but it's a collaborative effort so you get to experience the creativity of different people as you play. It can get quite hard, and there will be difficult puzzles in some levels too, so be warned. But it's very satisfying and you get to experience all kinds of interesting, creative mechanics. I played this with 2002 but be warned for occasional crashes; don't forget to save your progress with both the in-game saves and with savestates.

You can try any of the other hacks I played in the OP, but those 4 hacks were exceptional to me.
Oh by the way, a lot of these hacks I mentioned are on Retroachievements! Every Vita RetroArch core supports it except Supafaust.

Honorable mention goes to the VLDC hacks, collaborative hacks in which the Mario World hacking community put their best foot forward.

If you're interested in Kaizo:
Guided by some of the SMWCentral and Romhack Races discord server members, I made a list for me and fellow prospective beginner Kaizo players. It's ordered in difficulty from easier to harder. Start from the top with 2Kaizo2Learn, or go straight into the mix with Oops! All Fortresses.
I plan on using this list once I feel inclined to play Kaizo. As of right now, I'm still trying to play some of Shantae HGH's DLC & then want to play the original JUMP first before playing Kaizo hacks on my Vita.

Reactions: Flame

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, I gravitate towards using Snes9x-2002 the most for Mario World romhacks. The audio is pretty bad though. Some custom music that you hear in romhacks, get all scratchy and eargrating on 2002. The core is also unstable; every once in a while, I'd enter a pipe or go into a level, and RetroArch would crash.
On 2005 romhacks tend to blackscreen on boot, and if they do get ingame, the audio is better than 2002 but sometimes the audio cuts out entirely upon entering a level.
ChimeraSNES oftentimes has visual glitches with romhacks unfortunately, but when it doesn't, I'd prefer using it the most.
2010 runs fine and has the best audio, but has the least amount of performance overhead for fastforward. It also ALWAYS crashes upon loading a savestate. Since I use savestates a lot, I can't use 2010 😂

If anyone was interested in what SNES core has the least amount of input lag, it's probably between 2002 and 2005.
2002 has a little more performance overhead, but in both 2002 & 2005 you can add more Frame Delay up to 7-8 without games having framedrops. In my experience playing, 2002 and 2005 have the same responsiveness. I personally disable VSync cause I don't mind the screen tearing, and so I get around 3 frames of lag while playing SMW on these cores. Only about a frame slower than original hardware on a CRT.
ChimeraSNES and 2010 are the laggier cores but not by much; just around ~0.5-1 frame slower.

Info & disclaimer: I played 9 romhacks on my Vita since I got it in the summer: A Plumber For All Seasons, Super Wakana Land, Touhou Mario, Sicari Remastered, Sicari 2, JUMP1/2, New Super Mario World 2, Reality Project Reloaded, & slurdgery
I used to have data of me testing these cores for input lag, but I deleted it on accident. My source is trustmebro on this one 💀

Hey y'all, there's a new update on ChimeraSNES, available on the GitHub.
It was released three weeks ago and I didn't notice.
I tried it out and some hacks that were visually broken, started to work again. Some hacks like JUMP1/2 in particular, were still broken though.
After doing a quick and dirty slowmotion camera test, ChimeraSNES had around the same latency as 2002 and 2005 while in Super Mario World. So 2010 is the only slower core, but again, not by much.
As far as Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulators, I've ALWAYS USED "CATSFC-Libretro". It's the best SNES emulator I've ever used, and most (if not all) games on it run at a buttery-smooth 60FPS. No kidding. Secondly, the filters used by the emulator (by default) make the games so beautiful, you forget you're using an emulator, and just playing it on your Vita.
Finally, the only game I cannot run on it is Star Fox (for, I guess, obvious reasons). So check out CATSFC-Libretro here on VitaDB...

https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/75

Enjoy! And let us know what you think!!!
banger.gif

Last edited by The_Dizzy_Vizzy,
Reactions: 1985VV

iTheBeep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulators, I've ALWAYS USED "CATSFC-Libretro". It's the best SNES emulator I've ever used, and most (if not all) games on it run at a buttery-smooth 60FPS. No kidding. Secondly, the filters used by the emulator (by default) make the games so beautiful, you forget you're using an emulator, and just playing it on your Vita.
Finally, the only game I cannot run on it is Star Fox (for, I guess, obvious reasons). So check out CATSFC-Libretro here on VitaDB...

https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/75

Enjoy! And let us know what you think!!! View attachment 414557
I tried it just in case it ran the usual offenders like Yoshi's Island/Kirby 3 better, and unfortunately no dice.
ChimeraSNES on the Yoshi's Island title screen runs at 51-55fps, while using this runs it at 40-42fps.
Input lag playing Super Mario World was ~6 frames even with VSync off, so definitely not playing hard romhacks on this.
This has less options than on RetroArch i.e. no fastforward or frame delay. I see no reason to use it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Have you been able to run widescreen hacks for SMW or any other SNES games on your Vita?
I have not.
You'd need something like bsnes-hd to be ported over to Vita RetroArch, and I don't imagine it running well either way. The Vita would be too underpowered for Mode 7 hacks.

Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Well-Hated Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it just in case it ran the usual offenders like Yoshi's Island/Kirby 3 better, and unfortunately no dice.
ChimeraSNES on the Yoshi's Island title screen runs at 51-55fps, while using this runs it at 40-42fps.
Input lag playing Super Mario World was ~6 frames even with VSync off, so definitely not playing hard romhacks on this.
This has less options than on RetroArch i.e. no fastforward or frame delay. I see no reason to use it, but thanks for the suggestion.

I have not.
You'd need something like bsnes-hd to be ported over to Vita RetroArch, and I don't imagine it running well either way. The Vita would be too underpowered for Mode 7 hacks.
Well said sir!

If you ever find an adequate player for Star Fox, by all means lemme know!!!

Last edited by The_Dizzy_Vizzy,
Reactions: iTheBeep

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ChimeraSNES, has a option for fastforward and frame delay and widescreen. I dislike wrong informations...
Use emu4vita it has snes2005 core and runs mostly faster and more perfect and full speed also in widescreen mode.

iTheBeep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChimeraSNES, has a option for fastforward and frame delay and widescreen. I dislike wrong informations...
Use emu4vita it has snes2005 core and runs mostly faster and more perfect and full speed also in widescreen mode.
I reinstalled the emu4vita ChimeraSNES release again, just in case I was crazy.
I found the fastforward hotkey, so my bad on that.
But no, I still don't see nearly as many options like VSync, touch functionality, interface options, history/playlists, frame delay, RetroAchievements, so on and so forth.

I checked the source code. emu4vita is literally using the same libretro cores but under a more limited frontend. Same performance, hell, arguably worse b/c less options and b/c you're not on recent releases from libretro themselves. If you don't care and want to use emu4vita then I won't stop you, suit yourself.
But if anyone reading wants to learn how to use RetroArch properly, here are guides.
Here's one for RetroArch in general, not just Vita RetroArch. The learning curve is a little steep but it's worth it.

(FYI when we discussed "widescreen", we didn't mean unnaturally stretching the screen to fill it. I meant ACTUAL native widescreen hacks: https://github.com/VitorVilela7/wide-snes)

Wait wait wait.
Dizzy wasn't even suggesting emu4vita's ChimeraSNES there, they were suggesting CATSFC-Libretro.
Ugh..
Anyways, no, fastforward wasn't available. I checked again.

Last edited by iTheBeep,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?