How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Conmore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i would like some support
my gamecube games crashes when i select on configurable usb loader

The moment i select a game the wii crashes showing a huge line of error codes

i installed the latest Dios V2 , CFG 70 V20 but i am not sure whats wrong
Please follow ALL of the instructions, and if you're not going to use USB Launcher GX with the mod, DON'T POST HERE! I'm fine if you link to other tutorials, but this is for USB Loader GX ONLY! Please don't ask for help with CFG USB Loader. You're just making it harder for me to help people who followed my instructions.

kingdomhearts17

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
yeah i am well aware
i have been trying to use usb loader GX I was wondering if you can provide support for CFG i will try this
hope not causing trouble in these posts

Update : I followed the tutorial properly this time i get the gamecube game to appear lin USB Loader GX but when i load it its just black screen yes i even inserted a disc and the same thing occurs

Conmore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i am well aware
i have been trying to use usb loader GX I was wondering if you can provide support for CFG i will try this
hope not causing trouble in these posts

Update : I followed the tutorial properly this time i get the gamecube game to appear lin USB Loader GX but when i load it its just black screen yes i even inserted a disc and the same thing occurs
OK, make sure you're using the version of DIOS MIOS that's in the download links section, and re-install it. Then tell me if it works.

kingdomhearts17

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
i have applied the one that is provided here its still black screen i am also wondering do i need to install all of d2x cios because i updated only cios 249 to d2x 249 v8 final

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello! First off, thank you for this amazing guide. Sadly, I'm having a slight problem here. I followed the instructions precisely, but, for some reason, my Wii turns off every time I try to boot a GameCube game. Have I done something wrong?

Also, for further references, MMM also freezes after a few seconds/operations.

Thank you!

fwb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah my problem is the same as kingdomhearts17, followed the guide exactly and got a blank screen after trying to load (yes a wii disk was in). I tried DM Light with the same ISO on my SD card, and it worked flawlessly! I have 3 partitions on my hard drive, maybe that's the problem. WBFS, Fat32, and NFTS. The iso is in the FAT32 with 32kb clusters. I have read that the FAT32 partition has to be "first", is there an easy way to change that? I might give that a shot.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have 3 partitions on my hard drive, maybe that's the problem. WBFS, Fat32, and NFTS. The iso is in the FAT32 with 32kb clusters. I have read that the FAT32 partition has to be "first", is there an easy way to change that? I might give that a shot.

Not at the moment.
But from what I know that is in fakt the problem.

I was working on something but there does not seem to be to much interest in it.
See http://gbatemp.net/topic/329862-changing-the-partition-order-in-a-faster-way/
Might pick it up later this week if there is interest and Im bored.

isugoat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah my problem is the same as kingdomhearts17, followed the guide exactly and got a blank screen after trying to load (yes a wii disk was in). I tried DM Light with the same ISO on my SD card, and it worked flawlessly! I have 3 partitions on my hard drive, maybe that's the problem. WBFS, Fat32, and NFTS. The iso is in the FAT32 with 32kb clusters. I have read that the FAT32 partition has to be "first", is there an easy way to change that? I might give that a shot.
Why 3 partitions? You're introducing a ton of variables to F things up. I have a 500 GB hard drive with a single FAT partition with all Wii and GC games on it, followed the OP's guide, and most GC games work fine. THANKS OP!!!!

fwb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I cleaned everything up, re-formatted into one primary FAT32 partition. No more blank screen after clicking start (trying smash melee)....but only got one step farther, now when I go to play I get the "DIOS MIOS" screen with a cube on it, but it doesn't go on from there. Same thing happens from CFG or Gx.

Now what?

DML is working fine off my SD.

AACThaKid

Dark Wolf is watching
Trophies
Website
soundclick.com
XP
Country
United States
okay, i have a 2TB WD harddrive and yes i fully works... never had troubles. till now

im on/using:
Black 4.3u soft-modded wii
USB Launcher GX 3.0 and using the v5 Channel forwarder with r1191 & r1193
a 2TB 3-Partitioned Harddrive (USB1 = NTFS for PC use, USB2 = FAT32 with 32KB Cluster for N64, NES, SNES, ect., WBFS = for WII Games)
DIOS MIOS v2.0 wad fully installed
main game folder is read and set to "usb2:\games\", all homebrew and so-on runs from the "usb2" slot
Tried to also play shrunk & un-shrunk GC games

i want to run the Gamecube games from the usb not sdcard, it keeps telling me to "Copy" to the card, i ahve gone thru. all the settings i know for sure i can mess with or safely change, any idea what i am doing wrong or what i may have wrong?

please and thanks for any help!

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
okay, i have a 2TB WD harddrive and yes i fully works... never had troubles. till now

im on/using:
Black 4.3u soft-modded wii
USB Launcher GX 3.0 and using the v5 Channel forwarder with r1191 & r1193
a 2TB 3-Partitioned Harddrive (USB1 = NTFS for PC use, USB2 = FAT32 with 32KB Cluster for N64, NES, SNES, ect., WBFS = for WII Games)
DIOS MIOS v2.0 wad fully installed
main game folder is read and set to "usb2:games", all homebrew and so-on runs from the "usb2" slot
Tried to also play shrunk & un-shrunk GC games

i want to run the Gamecube games from the usb not sdcard, it keeps telling me to "Copy" to the card, i ahve gone thru. all the settings i know for sure i can mess with or safely change, any idea what i am doing wrong or what i may have wrong?

please and thanks for any help!
I have 3 partitions on my hard drive, maybe that's the problem. WBFS, Fat32, and NFTS. The iso is in the FAT32 with 32kb clusters. I have read that the FAT32 partition has to be "first", is there an easy way to change that? I might give that a shot.

Not at the moment.
But from what I know that is in fakt the problem.

I was working on something but there does not seem to be to much interest in it.
See http://gbatemp.net/topic/329862-changing-the-partition-order-in-a-faster-way/
Might pick it up later this week if there is interest and Im bored.

snakepliskin2334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok how does this work with games like metal gear solid twin snakes though ? just install both cds on hard drive ?

You can play Disc 1 just fine. It's just he whole disc swapping is still an issue. When you're meant to swap discs, you'll instead see an screen telling you there's an error.

): nuts so theres no point in doing this then if i cant play mgs twin snakes on hdd

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok how does this work with games like metal gear solid twin snakes though ? just install both cds on hard drive ?

You can play Disc 1 just fine. It's just he whole disc swapping is still an issue. When you're meant to swap discs, you'll instead see an screen telling you there's an error.

): nuts so theres no point in doing this then if i cant play mgs twin snakes on hdd

There are some options you to play disc 2.

1) Use Swiss to change the discs but I believe you need an SD Gecko for that.
2) Change the discs in Dolphin and do the obligatory save transferring.
2) Get a save file at the start of disc 2 off the internet and continue the game from there. This isn't ideal but it's the only option if 1 and 2 aren't available to you.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, maybe I can ask here and get an answer..
I have an old Pelican third-party controller. It doesn't seem to work when I load the game. Do I NEED a first party controller?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P