Homebrew How to make .rpx homebrew forwarder channels?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm well aware that we can use the Haxchi method to create and install Wii U homebrew forwarders. This works great, have done so many times for my favorite homebrew apps. Thing is, it appears that this only works for .elf homebrew, if I direct it to an .rpx homebrew the Wii U will instead just load up the Homebrew Launcher. After looking into it, it appears that the Haxchi method only works for .elf homebrew apps. So what is the secret to getting a forwarder to work properly for .rpx homebrew files? I know it must be doable, I have working forwarders for PPSSPP and Retroarch both as .rpx files. I didn't make those channels, so I'm not sure, it's possible they are straight up channels and are not forwarding to the .rpx in question, but a straight up channel should work as well. I really want to make a forwarder for ntrview.rpx (project here: https://github.com/yawut/ntrview-wiiu), the homebrew that lets you stream your 3DS on your Wii U. Can anyone help me figure out how to make this channel in some form? I know it can be done, I'm just not sure how.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you find out how to do this? I'd like to make a few channels also!
I couldn't make an .rpx homebrew forwarder, but I could make individual .rpx channels via NUSPacker. Not ideal in how anytime the homebrew has an update I have to remake the channel instead of just updating the app in the SD card, but it works and gets the job done all the same.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Tyson TH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't make an .rpx homebrew forwarder, but I could make individual .rpx channels via NUSPacker. Not ideal in how anytime the homebrew has an update I have to remake the channel instead of just updating the app in the SD card, but it works and gets the job done all the same.
Could you share your folder format? I'm trying to do this myself but I have no idea what to put in the content folder and the Wii U just crashes when I try to load the channel I made.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you share your folder format? I'm trying to do this myself but I have no idea what to put in the content folder and the Wii U just crashes when I try to load the channel I made.

You're asking me way too late, I genuinely don't remember what I did. I can tell you I just followed the directions for NUSPacker and it all worked just fine. Is there a particular .rpx file you're trying to make a channel for? If its something I've already made maybe I could just share the install files if I still have them laying around.

Tyson TH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're asking me way too late, I genuinely don't remember what I did. I can tell you I just followed the directions for NUSPacker and it all worked just fine. Is there a particular .rpx file you're trying to make a channel for? If its something I've already made maybe I could just share the install files if I still have them laying around.
I'm just trying to make channels for the latest stable release of Retroarch's mGBA and Genesis Plus GX cores. I am interested in SNES and NES but the former two are my highest priority. I tried using an old RPX I had lying around instead and it seems like all of them just refused to work.

Some would install but give DSI Exceptions upon launching, others said there was a problem with my USB drive. Other times WUP Installer would just get stuck installing resulting in a corrupted install. I don't know what the problem is because I tried testing it with Homebrew Launcher and ntrview's rpx and those actually worked just fine.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Lostbhoy I see you recently managed to make a forwarder for the Sonic Mania port. Can you explain me how to do it too?
I will post the info i have in detail and explain the problems i actually have to see if i can get to the bottom of that but it will take a wee bit of time to put it all together.

I'll be able to post a thread tomorrow however the above method posted by @tehtemp is the preferred way to create them as my method is a little more round a bout! I have major hassle with devkitpro and I've only just heard of docker (all these terms will become apparent if your not familiar, i dunno lol) so i haven't used that method yet but have been assured it's a more solid process.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Lostbhoy Why unpack/convert anything? https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/tree/master/meta ... xml, tga files and stuff... Just the normal metadate each and every Wii U Menu Channel needs.
So exchange the .tga files with the graphics you want (make sure they are Wii U compatible! There are a lot of posts about this on the forums), edit the .xml files (like the name of the channel but esp. the title and group IDs (group ID 0812 is actually my birtday (8. of december), so that's my group ID! Don't use it for your stuff, please), maybe add a bootsound... And then just use Docker to build like others explained to you on 4TU Discord... ;)

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Lostbhoy Why unpack/convert anything? https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/tree/master/meta ... xml, tga files and stuff... Just the normal metadate each and every Wii U Menu Channel needs.
So exchange the .tga files with the graphics you want (make sure they are Wii U compatible! There are a lot of posts about this on the forums), edit the .xml files (like the name of the channel but esp. the title and group IDs (group ID 0812 is actually my birtday (8. of december), so that's my group ID! Don't use it for your stuff, please), maybe add a bootsound... And then just use Docker to build like others explained to you on 4TU Discord... ;)
Aw man.... Of course, how did i miss that!! I downloaded the wrong thing lol, thanks man!

phacox_cll

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Glad to see my poor-assed codes are getting used some more. :)
@phacox_cll have a look at https://gbatemp.net/threads/sonic-mania-port-to-wii-u.617448/post-9921644
I have successfully tried the Sonic Mania forwarder made by Lostbhoy, but the Ship of Harkinian forwarder I have not been able to make it work as it is on github. I mean instead of loading the respective "sd:/wiiu/apps/soh/soh.rpx" file it loads the Wii U Menu.

Adding some more context, my console has the most current version of Tiramisu downloaded from the foryour.cafe site.

The topic of modifying and compiling sohfw is not a problem, using docker without modifying the source code I got exactly the same files published on github. Still directly use the .app, .h3 files provided on github for testing.

To check everything I unpacked the .app, .h3 files of both forwarders. I noticed that the forwarder made by Lostbhoy is named "hbl2hbc" and is 1.18 MiB in size, quite a bit larger than the "soh" forwarder.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@phacox_cll Open the file version.json on your SD card and search for MochaPayload. Does it say MochaPayload-20220826-093111 ? In case it doesn't you're not using the most current Tiramisu version.

Reactions: phacox_cll

El_Misterioso

CIA Agent
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
and how do I change the route of the rpx that will open

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto