How to link 4 wiiU to a gamepad?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's always a risc when tempering with NAND. Probably not easy to do as it's saved on an encrypted chip. Don't have much more infos, this kind of talk is on a developer oriented Discord server.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For wbfs on Wii exist filemanager with gui to manage the installed titles on drive.
For WiiU there is wfs tool out there for dumping and injecting from/to WiiUs mlc and usb drive. Maybe it could help to create a clone for another WiiU.
It seems you only need a Nand dump of the particular WiiU. Maybe someone with expierence with this tool can say more.
https://github.com/koolkdev/wfs-tools

Last edited by Sypherone,

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

V10lator

can you tell what are the drawback of an external wiiU drive in comparison to wiiu MLC?
Power consumption. There are a lot of threads about this.

Well, I'm Thinking of something V10lator....If you have one external usb drive with plenty of games on it......suposing you have a backup of this usb drive......but you Wii-U "dies".....And you are happy with your2 external Usbdrives (one is backup)....Well you can't use your drives anymore nowhere! You are Toast man, you forgot this "little" drawback, so how do you do if you thought you were backupped?

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm Thinking of something V10lator....If you have one external usb drive with plenty of games on it......suposing you have a backup of this usb drive......but you Wii-U "dies".....And you are happy with your2 external Usbdrives (one is backup)....Well you can't use your drives anymore nowhere! You are Toast man, you forgot this "little" drawback, so how do you do if you thought you were backupped?
Well, if your Wii U dies, there's multiple ways of fixing it depending on what happened.
Additionally, this is also a very very good reason to make backups of your legit games and store them elsewhere, should you need to reinstall them. Same for anything ye pirate but y'know.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guy buys 4 Wii Us
Proclaims it's for "convenience"; starts lashing out at dumbasses attempting to convey the fine art of extended storage

My night has officially been made. Quite possibly my week as well.
Not related, but just wanted to say you have a great avatar! It brings back sweet memories of playing Gitaroo Man. :)

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course, I have 4 WiiU Gamepad because of this fact (but sorry dumbass, can't you figure out one Gamepad in front of TV is better than been obliged having 4 in front of Tv or some in Drawers??)
you literally bought 4 wiius to have extra storage when you could've used an hdd. I don't think you of all people have the right to call anyone a dumbass
You can, actually. You just gotta go into a Disk Manager on a PC or something, and format it. I'd know, I have done that myself multiple times.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But your Wii-U "dies".....And you are happy with your2 external Usbdrives (one is backup)....Well you can't use your drives anymore nowhere!
Because of that in this case, i prefer having dumps/installations files of the games backed up and not clone. There are several tools to dump them. Then archived with zip, 7zip other that support CRC correction against bit errors of the files.

With the previous mentioned wfs tool, it seems also possible to dump the games from WiiU drive directly on PC. At the moment its not userfriendly https://github.com/koolkdev/wfs-tools

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The OP is refering to the drive attached on a posible defunct console, getting unusable on another Wii U wasting all the data inside the device.
Well, I'm Thinking of something....If you have one external usb drive with plenty of games on it......suposing you have a backup of this usb drive......but you Wii-U "dies".....And you are happy with your2 external Usbdrives (one is backup)....Well you can't use your drives anymore nowhere! You are Toast man, you forgot this "little" drawback, so how do you do if you thought you were backupped?
Ok? If 1 of your 4 Wii U dies, the games stored in it's internal NAND die with it, so you are traped in a paradox.

You aren't the most smart person isn't? I still think that you are a troll and this is getting sad 😢

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How is that a drawback when it's the exact same with games on NAND? You can't just restore your NAND backup to another Wii U or it will be bricked.

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Stealphie

you literally bought 4 wiius to have extra storage when you could've used an hdd. I don't think you of all people have the right to call anyone a dumbass
Well, depends on the price, If I had them around 20$ every consols (talking about the "box"), every gamepad around 20$, NO! (so depends on the price and I can use them, and even resale them later "maybe" higher, I'm not a scalper, but why hesitate when you have a bargain? so it all depends on space in your house).
You can, actually. You just gotta go into a Disk Manager on a PC or something, and format it. I'd know, I have done that myself multiple times.
I was not talking that the HDD is dead, I was speaking of loosing the games (Dumbass...)

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How is that a drawback when it's the exact same with games on NAND? You can't just restore your NAND backup to another Wii U or it will be bricked.
Confidence....In one scenario, you may loose all your game if you don't have another backup elsewhere, just that, of course, if you made another backup of the 2....that makes if you have 3 backup.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
To answer the original question, there is no homebrew which can make a gamepad connect to several consoles without re-pairing. There is, in fact, no public homebrew for the gamepad at all.

There was a suggestion to have all the consoles spoof one particular console, which might work depending on how the GamePad does things internally. The WiiU hosts a WiFi hotspot which the GamePad connects to, so:
  • If the gamepad is only concerned with ssid+WPS key, then it might be possible in theory to copy those settings across to several consoles.
  • If the gamepad also checks things like MAC address, we're out of luck since those are baked into the WiFi hardware itself.
Both of these points are moot, though, since all the WiFi guff is handled on a seperate chip called the DRH, which - you guessed it - has no homebrew to date.

While the OP is clearly misguided and would probably be served just fine by a WFS hard drive (which they don't seem to have known was possible before now? this isn't even a homebrew thing, the wiiu just supports using a usb hard drive alongside the MLC), this would still be an interesting feature for people who have several consoles for development or preservation reasons. See Maschell's stack for example.

This has got me thinking about some kind of horrible proxy using drc-sim.. GamePad connects to a Pi and the Pi connects to one of four WiiUs, and just forwards all the packets along...

Reactions: Lostbhoy

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This has got me thinking about some kind of horrible proxy using drc-sim.. GamePad connects to a Pi and the Pi connects to one of four WiiUs, and just forwards all the packets along...
Indeed, a kind of program like this would be genious work....Or maybe when aroma will be out, something like this might be possible.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The funny thing is, the WiiU pad uses 5,2 ghz Wlan for transfering the picture and controller input. The Raspberry Pi zero only provides 2,4 ghz. So he would need at least a Raspberry pi 3 or 4. The lowest version with 2gb ram starts at about 50€ (without the needed Powerplug and cooling unit)....

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
The funny thing is, the WiiU pad uses 5,2 ghz Wlan for transfering the picture and controller input. The Raspberry Pi zero only provides 2,4 ghz. So he would need at least a Raspberry pi 3 or 4. The lowest version with 2gb ram starts at about 50€ (without the needed Powerplug and cooling unit)....
I've tried with a CM4 and was unable to get drc-sim to play ball - the wiiu has some "fuck you" modifications to WPA/WPS that only certain chips and drivers can work around. I've had luck with some USB WiFi dongles though (tp-link "panda" ones, aka rtl2800usb).

If you're using USB anyway then you could use a Zero ;)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@QuarkTheAwesome I was thinking about that, there is maybe or for sure a useable HAT or dongle to attach to the zero. 😉 So maybe he could take the cheapest Version + dongle + case/heat sink. What would the actuall price of it instead getting a ssd.

The project into it, is very interresting, because u could implement also other wireless controllers (bluetooth) to be used with it. So every supported controller could be used as HID device on vWii/WiiU loaders. By using a zero W to interact with fakemote or hid to vpad.

Last edited by Sypherone,

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sypherone Sees Far.
"The project into it, is very interresting, because u could implement also other wireless controllers (bluetooth) to be used with it. So every supported controller could be used as HID device on vWii/WiiU loaders. By using a zero W to interact with fakemote or hid to vpad."

Indeed and very hacky interesting!! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi