Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my psp video was shared

http://www.logic-sunrise.com/news-944923-xo-ppsspp-sinvite-en-uwp-sur-la-xbox-one.html

second video

that video currently has 1,190 views :O amazing even if only one video, now i feel bad for the quality of that video lol oh well

edit: just noticed the first video is ploggy omg who posted this i wonder was it you ploggy or :unsure:

whoever it was thanks for that

Nah I didn't know either lol It's nice to see our videos up on a news article though :)

@Absestos what about FBA. (Final Burn Alpha)
Would you consider that Core?? It should be easier than MAME but still has couple thousand Arcade games to play with. ;)

What do you think??

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: Flux0

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah I didn't know either lol It's nice to see our videos up on a news article though :)

Would you consider that Core?? It should be easier than MAME but still has couple thousand Arcade games to play with. ;)

What do you think??
your video is also on maxconsole but not mine

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What do you think??
FBA is like the holy grail of emulation for me on the XB1. It runs lots of games and the chances are very good for them to all be full speed, even inside development mode's limits. I held off requesting it as I didn't want to feel pushy towards Absestos, especially while more stuff needs to be done on the base foundation of the program. However once all that stuff is sorted out I would like to throw support behind seeing this core added.

Reactions: ploggy

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I think that RERTRIX project need more publicity (more publicity -> more donators). What about add Doplhine (GameCube) core although it is still not good (and probably never be good on ONE)? So can Doplhine (on Xbox ONE) run some easy game in playable condition? Some as Donkey Konga, Mr Driller: Drill Land etc.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/2bvxw0/games_on_dolphin_that_are_easiest_to_run/
http://ngemu.com/threads/what-are-the-easiest-games-to-run-in-dolphin.150126/

Of course in Retrix would be note "under development" on Dolphine section.

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
Just released a new RetriX version, with a big update: a touch gamepad. This allows to play games on touch screen devices that have no gamepad or keyboard attached (the UI appears and disappears automatically depending on input devices available, you should never see it on PC or Xbox).

Also added PC Engine emulation.

As for requests: Final Burn Alpha seems to be well integrated into Libretro and looks promising. I also want to play some Metal Slug, so I'm going to be working on it in the near future.

Dolphin is going to be much harder, since it requires GPU acceleration and even the Libretro guys consider their port experimental. As much as I want it, it will have to wait.

As for publicity, now that RetriX is usable on phones without other devices, it may be time to push it on XDA and a few Windows 10 communities. I should record a new video for that since the last one I made is quite old...

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just released a new RetriX version, with a big update: a touch gamepad. This allows to play games on touch screen devices that have no gamepad or keyboard attached (the UI appears and disappears automatically depending on input devices available, you should never see it on PC or Xbox).

As for requests: Final Burn Alpha seems to be well integrated into Libretro and looks promising. I also want to play some Metal Slug, so I'm going to be working on it in the near future.

Dolphin is going to be much harder, since it requires GPU acceleration and even the Libretro guys consider their port experimental. As much as I want it, it will have to wait.

As for publicity, now that RetriX is usable on phones without other devices, it may be time to push it on XDA and a few Windows 10 communities. I should record a new video for that since the last one I made is quite old...
i've tested pcengine on xbox one and it runs great even the sound is good so thanks for adding it

can you add turbo-grafx 16 cd would be cool to play castlevania

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What is your device?? Is not working, the app even don't install :(.
I don't know if my phone is too old (Lumia 730) or if is the app itself, but soon after I selecting the option to install app, it just don't install.

Don't publish to Windows store, and don't even try to contact Microsoft to register to ID@XBox.

NESBox Team got their emulator removed from store due the "reason" that they didn't register the app at ID@Xbox. Afterwards the developers from NESBox tried to register at ID@Xbox, but Microsoft refused to accept them and banned their emulator from the Store.

Now Microsoft is banning every emulator that is published at the store..

If you publish to the Store, Microsoft will remove..

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah I can imagine Dolphin would be a ways off for now but like you said maybe in the mid to long term. Thanks for adding PC-Engine by the way. This is the exact reason I love RetriX. Because of RetriX I'm able to play games for systems I never otherwise would have even heard about let alone played. Perks of growing up in the west :lol:

Last edited by wiired24,

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

These both just put a big smile on my face. Thank you! :D

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Wow what a crazy day :P not only is the WiiU version of Retorarch blowing up again but now we're getting PC-Engine and possibly my most wanted Emulator Core FBA. This will bring in more people trust me. :)

THANKS!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i've tested pcengine on xbox one and it runs great even the sound is good so thanks for adding it

can you add turbo-grafx 16 cd would be cool to play castlevania
The Core that absestos used for PC-Engine also supports CD.. you probably just need the bios setup. I'm not able to test I'm stuck into the WiiU Retroarch atm. :P

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by ploggy,

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos Do you have any plans to improve PlayStation One Emulation on the Xbox One. I know it works fine on other devices such as PC. However alot of games don't work and those that do work run very... very... slow to the point where it renders the PS1 Core for RetriX on Xbox One useless. Maybe see if you can swap medafens beetle psx core for PCSX-R in a future release ?

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos I understand RetriX is a multi-platform application. I also understand that PlayStation support currently works on Windows 10 and probably other devices so it's not a pressing concern. But on Xbox One it is for all intents and purposes unplayable. Every game tested runs very slow rendering the ps1 core for RetriX on the xbox one essentially useless. Would it be difficult to switch from BeetlePSX to Pcsx-ReARMed in a future release? The latter has already proven itself to work fast both on Xbox One and PC.

EDIT: Benchmark Video of Pcsx-ReARMed based core below

(WinPSe based on Pcsx-ReARMed running on Xbox One Dev Mode)

yeah, I feel that ps1 core should still be a higher priority. since more people play ps1 than neo geo pocket or pc engine. not to mention that it was very highly requested by people in here

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I feel that ps1 core should still be a higher priority. since more people play ps1 than neo geo pocket or pc engine. not to mention that it was very highly requested by people in here

Not just on here but I see alot of people having issues with PS1 Emulation on Xbox One with RetriX. Xbox One shouldn't be treated as a second class citizen device alot of people use RetriX on Xbox One not just PC or Phone

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: kingtut

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
@kingtut @wiired24 I understand your point and acknowledge PS1 emulation on Xbox is not usable. I also agree that it is worth trying to include PCSX-R in RetriX.

This being said, PCSX-R was my original pick for PS1 emulator and I had to give up after failing to get it to work. Even if I could get it to work now, with more experience and some guidance from the Libretro maintainers, whether I could get dynarec (the special sauce that makes emulators go much faster but which tends to be written in assembly) to work is an open question. More specifically, I do not know if the assembly as written by Libretro would compile in Visual Studio or not.
In the worst case scenario I could get PCSX-R working without dynarec and it would still not be enough for the Xbox One.

In short: I am not snubbing the Xbox One and plan to give PCSX-R another go in the future.

As for priorities, I am porting a bunch of minor consoles because they are an easy target: the Beetle family of cores (WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, PC Engine) shares a lot of code and the fixes I had to make to get them to work have been the same - I could get the Neo Geo Pocket included in a couple of hours. This is a low hanging fruit and I am picking it up.

And finally, the mobile version really needed virtual gamepads: except for very narrow cases (someone pairing an Xbox gamepad to the phone via Bluetooth) RetriX as a whole was unusable there.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@kingtut @wiired24 I understand your point and acknowledge PS1 emulation on Xbox is not usable. I also agree that it is worth trying to include PCSX-R in RetriX.

This being said, PCSX-R was my original pick for PS1 emulator and I had to give up after failing to get it to work. Even if I could get it to work now, with more experience and some guidance from the Libretro maintainers, whether I could get dynarec (the special sauce that makes emulators go much faster but which tends to be written in assembly) to work is an open question. More specifically, I do not know if the assembly as written by Libretro would compile in Visual Studio or not.
In the worst case scenario I could get PCSX-R working without dynarec and it would still not be enough for the Xbox One.

In short: I am not snubbing the Xbox One and plan to give PCSX-R another go in the future.

As for priorities, I am porting a bunch of minor consoles because they are an easy target: the Beetle family of cores (WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, PC Engine) shares a lot of code and the fixes I had to make to get them to work have been the same - I could get the Neo Geo Pocket included in a couple of hours. This is a low hanging fruit and I am picking it up.

And finally, the mobile version really needed virtual gamepads: except for very narrow cases (someone pairing an Xbox gamepad to the phone via Bluetooth) RetriX as a whole was unusable there.

I had no idea you had already attempted to get PCSX-R working under RetriX. Hopefully in the future you will be to get Dynarec to work. Can't wait for the day I can play Crash, Castlevania SOTN, and FFVII on Xbox One :)

Last edited by wiired24,

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I think that priority for RETRIX must be following.
1) New core- my wishlist :-)
a) MAME (FBA)
b) Gamecube (yes I know that it is very very difficult)
c) Dreamcast
d) PS2 - https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2
e) Atari A7800 (backward compatibility with A2600) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/emu7800/?source=directory
f) Atari Jaguar
g) Sega Saturn
h) Sega 32X

2) Adjust core (removing of unstability, frame drops etc.)
3.)New features (wide screen, cube/point/anisotropic filtering etc)
Do you agree?

@Absestos may I ask you what is your priority at this moment or what core you plan add at next update? If you writte FBA then you made me very happy men :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER